Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Shell?

spconnolly007

A recent purchase of mine, which I have been led to believe is a Belgium pom-pom shell? As you can see, its dated 98, RF on one side and Reims on the other. Is it likely to have been used during GW or picked up by local artisan to sell on as a souvenir? Lovely little shell to add to the collection anyway, what would it of been fired from? Many thanks for any help as always, Sean

post-79848-0-34008100-1330165184.jpg

post-79848-0-44442300-1330165227.jpg

It does indeed appear to be a Belgian cartridge case, but the trench art is French, the "RF" being "Republique Francaise" and Reims of course being in France.

I cannot comment on its history but certainly the rounds were used by virtually all the combatents in WWI.

It would have probably been fired from a 37mm Hotchkiss Revolving Cannon or possibly a Vickers Maxim Pom Pom.

Regards

TonyE

Or possibly the French 'trench gun' also used by the AEF. As Tony has said widely used. I recall that the 37mm was the smallest calibre which one of the 'conventions' permitted to be explosive.

Old Tom

Thanks Tony and Tom, I did google it and as you say, it did seem to be used by everyone, I was just hoping that the markings might of narrowed it down in your expert eyes. Thanks again for your advice, Sean