Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Paper Undies.

Guest redrum

Displayed in the RWF regimental museum in Caernarfon castle is a set of German underwear made of paper-1917.They look well made and would be mistaken for a hessian material. (Must have been hell to wear). Was any other uniform part known to be made of paper?

Displayed in the RWF regimental museum in Caernarfon castle is a set of German underwear made of paper-1917.They look well made and would be mistaken for a hessian material. (Must have been hell to wear). Was any other uniform part known to be made of paper?

Evidently much of the German Equipment ,Clothing ,Food & Coffee{MMmmmm Acorns!}became debased & "Erzatz" as the Economy weaken as the War lengthened,Cardboard for Boots Etc;There were even Rumours? of the rendering of War Dead to produce Fats & Oils & Bone Meal for War/Munitions Production{Mention in some detail in The Great War BBC Series I Believe}

Later on in the war, German shrouds were made of paper. There is one in the IWM.

German gas mask carring straps I believe were of a similar material more often than not they are missing from the can.

Best regards

N.S.Regt.

Guest Chip Minx

redrum,

The main reason for the use of papercloth (Papiergarn) was as a substitute for leather and cloth, which the Germans could not import because of the blockade. They experimented with just about everything they used to see if the material was a suitable substitute. The "cloth" was used to make clothing for the civialian populace, thus freeing up other materials for use by the army. Papercloth was also used to make prisoner of war clothes.

You see the material in use everywhere by the military. It was used in hat liners, in shoulder straps as a stiffener, to make harness, all types of straps and belts, canteen covers, small pouches for everything from horseshoes to telephone apparati. I have sandbags made from it and a drag strap for an Maschinengewehr '08. Despite what you would think, this material was quite strong and served the Germans well. I am constantly amazed by the new things that turn up now and again that are fabricated from this material.

Chip

I belive the rendering down of battle field casualties was proven to be allied propaganda. I understand that in the last German war they made inroads in developing ersatz rubber, petrol-and a margarine substitute from coal!

There were even Rumours? of the rendering of War Dead to produce Fats & Oils & Bone Meal for War/Munitions Production{Mention in some detail in The Great War BBC Series I Believe}

Animal carcasses were certainly re-cycled for these purposes, including the extraction of nitrates to make explosives.

As for using the war dead? I suspect the credibility of this theory goes in the same category as other reports of German frightfulness such as bayoneting babies, raping nuns etc. - lots of rumour but little hard evidence.

Tim

i was told they even made weavings and webbing from nettles!

Edited by Chris_Baker

Chip

Thanks for showing the papercloth NCO tresse -one of those things that collectors have heard about but most of us have never seen. If memory serves, I think there was some attempt to actually weave cloth to make tunics with from paper. I used to have a gasmask tin fitted with papercloth straps, and as you say they are surprisingly durable.

There are also existing examples of WWI German trousers constructed from recycled nettle fibres. The use of recycled cloth seems to have been common, as well as the re-issue of uniforms belonging to wounded or fatal casualties. Leather equipment, especially ammunition pouches, was also made of vulcanized fibre.

All the best

Paul.

Guest Chip Minx

Paul,

You have brought up another subject that volumes could be written about, namely Erzatz materials. I have seen some really nice things over the years that you would never imagine. While at La Pompelle, I took some photos of two Ersatz German cartridge pouches. One was made from pressed felt with leather trim, ala the felt spiked helmets. The other was the vulcanized material that you mention. The strangest of all, however, is a sample piece in the collection of the Bavarian Army Museum. The cartridge compartments are of a corregated metal material with the lids (metal) and straps (leather) riveted on. It is very odd to see and evidently was not accepted. See bottom item in the photo.

Chip

post-23-1092186581.jpg

Chip

Amazing items....I'm sure you have Charles Woolley's two volume photo study of the Imperial German Army published by Schiffer. In there is a photo of a soldier wearing what appear to be the felt/leather trimmed pouches constructed in the typical M1909 style (can't find the exact page at the moment...). There is also a photo of a soldier (vol 1, page 116) wearing what appear to be standard leather M1909 pouches with camouflage (?) cloth covers.

As you say, a whole new and largely unexplored topic.

All the best

Paul.

Guest Chip Minx

Here's another last ditch product. MG '08 drag straps made with a papercloth strap and a loop of rope that is just lined with a leather strip. I have a pair with the paper strap, but with the loop completely made of metal. I have also seen MG 08/15 and rifle slings made from papercloth.

Chip

post-23-1092278433.jpg