Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help needed with a symbol

sawdoc34

bayonet002.jpgHello chaps,

anyone got any idea of what this symbol is in front of the serial number on the crossguard?

Cheers,

Aleck

Hi Aleck ... Khaki is right, this is a marking found on a Spanish M1893 Mauser bayonet that was made in Germany, usually by Simson & Co of Suhl. See HERE

I think the symbol itself is a form of a 'Spanish cross' which I believe they used as a type of ownership marking. They also made some M1893 bayonets locally.

Cheers, S>S

Thanks Khaki & S/S,

it is indeed made by simson :thumbsup:

Couple more questions before I buy it-

what model is it? looks like a M1871/84 but not sure on anything other than brit or turk (& the turks still give me a headache or 2) :unsure:

rough price guide? dont want to be ripped off too badly :blush:

Cheers,

Aleck

bayonet004.jpg

bayonet003.jpg

Couple more questions before I buy it-

what model is it? looks like a M1871/84 but not sure on anything other than brit or turk :unsure:

It's a nice looking bayonet, I really like the age and patina on this example - shame I couldn't say the same for the scabbard ... oh well, you can't have everything.!

These German made bayonets are essentially copied off the M1871/84 so that explains the shape, however they were made for the Spanish, see my post above.?? :unsure:

Cheers, S>S

S/S,

thanks for the link mate, really like the look of the bayonet, nicely aged & strange shaped handle.

Another nations bayonets to collect tho, looks like I will have to change the interests part again & get some much needed therapy before this gets out of control :whistle:

Any idea of a rough price for the bayonet, seller is wanting $70. Does that sound reasonable?

Cheers,

Aleck

But its Spanish.?? And certainly not Great War, so whats the point.!! :huh: But seriously if you like it I think the price is quite fair - I'd probably pick it up for that ... (if it was in front of me) :whistle:

Cheers, S>S

Ooops, keep forgetting that this is strictly WW1, my bad :blush:

Must remember to post these on gunboards/surplusrifle forums instead.

Looks like the spanish bayonets pre WW1- present day could be relatively cheap to collect but pointless asking the enablers on this site for guidance :whistle:

Cheers,

Aleck

I cannot supply any supporting data at this time, however I believe that this type of bayonet was probably used in the Spanish American War (Cuba etc) and therefore may have also been used by the Cuban Army following liberation by the US. Wasn't there a Cuban WW1 victory medal??, if so then maybe the bayonet (type) sort of qualifies as WW1 as well.

khaki

Which also reminds me that TonyE once mentioned something about the possibility that a consignment of Spanish Mausers were once procured for British use.

This was apparently attempted early on during the war in a clandestine operation to ease the rifle shortage, but it doesn't appear that anything could be proven.

And no examples have reportedly surfaced that could support this operation ever having taken place. Perhaps just another idea that became included in notes.?

Cheers, S>S

Wasn't there a Cuban WW1 victory medal??, if so then maybe the bayonet (type) sort of qualifies as WW1 as well.

khaki

Yes thats interesting, I didn't realise that Cuba actually 'entered' the war alongside the US in 1917 - principally for economic and trade reasons. See HERE

Cheers, S>S

Chilean 7mm Mausers were taken over with the two battleships that were building for the Chilean Navy in 1914.

Which also reminds me that TonyE once mentioned something about the possibility that a consignment of Spanish Mausers were once procured for British use.

This was apparently attempted early on during the war in a clandestine operation to ease the rifle shortage, but it doesn't appear that anything could be proven.

And no examples have reportedly surfaced that could support this operation ever having taken place. Perhaps just another idea that became included in notes.?

Cheers, S>S

Chilean 7mm Mausers were taken over with the two battleships that were building for the Chilean Navy in 1914.

Yes thats correct, but the Chilean M1912 rifle is a whole different animal to the Spanish M1893 rifles we're talking about here, however both were 7mm calibre Mausers.!

No the story I referred to was another interesting titbit that TonyE once mentioned in passing, although as I said it could not be proven at the time so likely just speculation.

Cheers, S>S

I presume that the battleships were under construction in a British Shipyard in 1914, but it seems a little strange that delivery of the ships would include small arms as well, I would have thought that delivery following trials would have been for the ship and fuel, unless rifles had been sent by the chilean Government prior to signing for the ships.

khaki

sorry getting away from the original topic

I presume that the battleships were under construction in a British Shipyard in 1914, but it seems a little strange that delivery of the ships would include small arms as well, I would have thought that delivery following trials would have been for the ship and fuel, unless rifles had been sent by the chilean Government prior to signing for the ships.

khaki

sorry getting away from the original topic

I believe the Rifles were sent by the manufacturer (Steyr) to equip the ship prior to delivery.

Which makes sense - why transport them over, when the "ship" will be going anyway. Apparently this was common practice as the same happened with the Braz. Mausers.

Having said this I am not sure this is the same issue as S>S is referring to. In the dim and distant past there was discussion of the possibility of a shipment of SPANISH Mausers (also in 7mm) but as I recall no evidence or examples have been discovered -- this was distinct from the Chilean (Steyr M1912) Mausers.

Chris

In the dim and distant past there was discussion of the possibility of a shipment of SPANISH Mausers (also in 7mm) but as I recall no evidence or examples have been discovered ...

It wasn't that long ago, only just last year.! But anyway here is the offending thread LINK (check posts #19 and #21 where TonyE mentions the possible shipment of Spanish Mausers)

Cheers, S>S