Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

When were 'dog tags' introduced

OpsMajor

I was issued with metal I.D discs on my first tour of N.I in 1977

Mark

• 11 months later...

Reports (see Telegraph Sat 15 March) on the recent reburials at Loos claim that William McAleer was identified by his own home-made ID tag, while 20 other British bodies could not be personally identified, but attributed to Regiment by buttons etc

Was this common practice?

I assume that fibre discs rarely survive in the ground?

Yes,

Home made and commercially produced identity bracelets were very evident in WW1. They were made from coins,scrap brass and copper to silver and silver plate usually purchaed at home.

regards

Mark

Reports (see Telegraph Sat 15 March) on the recent reburials at Loos claim that William McAleer was identified by his own home-made ID tag, while 20 other British bodies could not be personally identified, but attributed to Regiment by buttons etc

Was this common practice?

I assume that fibre discs rarely survive in the ground?

Brass pennys seem to have been popular as ID discs with New Zealand soldiers, and were probably made up on the troop ships on route to egypt.

• 4 years later...

Tagging in to an old topic, but can anyone help with this tag. I got it at an auction and grabbed it because it looked larger than the normal round/oval discs. I can't find any info on Dorey or his service number 2278 either. Is it an early disc? Pretty low service number

20180726_042408.jpg

20180726_060313.jpg

Would think so, DavidOwen - looks very like my grandfather's, who was also RNVR.

Cheers, Pat