Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identify Cap Badge

kkinsella

Hi Everyone,

Having failed to identify the attached Cap Badge, I would be most grateful for assistance from a Pal? One cannot see any detail in the badge worn by a Great War soldier from Kingstown, Co. Dublin, but the shape is clear.

Kind regards,

Ken.

post-18925-0-06758700-1329923654.jpg

Hi Everyone,

Having failed to identify the attached Cap Badge, I would be most grateful for assistance from a Pal? One cannot see any detail in the badge worn by a Great War soldier from Kingstown, Co. Dublin, but the shape is clear.

Kind regards,

Ken.

Ken

Any Chance of a larger picture? Or the Whole picture..

Simon

Hi Ken

Connaught Rangers.

Regards.

Gerwyn

Hello Ken, allowing for photo quality and cap distortion etc, 1st guess Cheshire, 2nd guess Worcestershire

khaki

Now having looked at the others shown I have to agree, I guessed wrong they are more likely Irish Regimental.

khaki

Hi Khaki; Skipman; Atnomis and Pioneercorps,

Thank you your response. It is a head & shoulders photo and when I enlarge, it will not upload. I have gone through dozens of British Regiment cap badges, but cannot see anything that is remotely near the shape of this soldiers badge. I am attaching a close-up of the badge with this reply, although it may still not help to identify the regiment.

Thanks again for kind assistance.

Ken.

post-18925-0-65474500-1329948497.jpg

Hi Ken The cap badge in your photo, is not strait its on a angle.

post-78506-0-09514500-1329949512.jpg

It's a very poor photo to ID a badge, but my suggestion is 8th King's Royal Irish Hussars.

post-599-0-74553200-1329996449.jpg

It's a very poor photo to ID a badge, but my suggestion is 8th King's Royal Irish Hussars.

Looks like a good call to me.

Steve

Could well be, but in the photo there is no sign of a Crown sitting at the top of the badge, there is what looks like one on a angle to the left. when light its metal blurs it, distorting the shape.

"Unless the top of the cap is covering it"

I'm inclined towards the "top of the cap is covering it" for the crown. I believe what you're seeing as the crown if the badge is tilted is what I'm seeing as the head of the figure if the badge is straight, as FS said "a very poor photo to ID a badge" :thumbsup:

Regards

Steve

I'd go for the KRIH (as Skippy said in post 3!).

I'm inclined towards the "top of the cap is covering it" for the crown. I believe what you're seeing as the crown if the badge is tilted is what I'm seeing as the head of the figure if the badge is straight, as FS said "a very poor photo to ID a badge" :thumbsup:

Regards

Steve

Hi Steve

I was thinking on the lines of it being the head of the figure, not only is it a very poor image of the cap badge, there now could be part missing :ph34r: .

Regards.

Gerwyn

Hi Steve, Gerwyn, Pioneerscorps, Atnomis, Mike, Simon, Khaki,

Thank you for the trouble you have taken to identify the cap badge. I agree, it's a realy bad photo to ID a cap badge, but as they say in Dublin; "You got ta dance with the girl you brung". As you suggest, the badge is not straight and part of it appears to be hidden by the top of the cap; this would explain the even top and bottom.

The soldier is one of four brothers to join the British army for the duration of the war. They were all craftsmen employed by their father who was a very successful builder, and they were earning many times more than the pittance offered by the army. One of the brothers, who was attached to the 8th Royal Inninskillings, was gassed on 27th April 1916 and died in hospital two days later. The cap badge in the photo of his brother in not a cap badge of that regiment. The three brothers survived the war.

My own guess, as some of you suggest, is the Irish Hussars.

Thank you again and best wishes to all,

Ken.