Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Stolen Valor Act Before the US Supreme Court

ph0ebus

I don't see how that will fly with the SCOTUS. That's probably why they decided to hear the case in the first place. By not doing so, that law would stand.

As much as I am disgusted by "Posers", I am more concerned with our Constitution being trampled on any more than it has been.

Remember, the only speech that needs to be protected is unpopular speech.

While they're busy recovering things, any chance they could search for a few examples of the letter U and use them judiciously :whistle:

While they're busy recovering things, any chance they could search for a few examples of the letter U and use them judiciously :whistle:

Or as they might put it, judiciosly... :innocent:

• 4 months later...

The Guardian had "it's unconstitutional but Congress can redraft it. Apparently it's not illegal to lie. Thomas, Scalia and Alito all dissent."

Will Congress do a redraft?

I can't see politicians or lawyers ever agreeing to legislation that penalises lying and bullsh*tting, but I'm surprised that the SVA is needed at all, as 'outing' Walts and 'naming and shaming' them is surely enough to take care of the reputational issue, and I presume US law contains provisions akin the the English law offence of 'obtaining pecuniary advantage by deception', which should cover most of the material aspects of walting (gaining access to events/facilities reserved for veterans/medal holders, obtaining discounts, favoured status, free drinks, and similar deceits).

If the SVA had passed into law, would it have caught Colonel Sanders ...?

On another forum, a small world of ex-military where most of us know each other, our military histories, postings etc. Someone put up a picture of an ex-corporal at a function wearing mess dress with majors crowns and a long row of medals including the MC, he had posted it proudly on his facebook page. As only 5 members have been awarded the MC since 1990 and we all know he was never a Major, this was an incredibly stupid thing to do. Why would an otherwise fairly intelligent man who even without the MC and extras had not a bad career do such a thing? We have tried to ask him but he has disappeared off social networking sites.

I

If the SVA had passed into law, would it have caught Colonel Sanders ...?

or Colonel Parker?

cheers Martin B

or Colonel Parker?

cheers Martin B

Well, seeing as most Col.'s are chicken (hence the birds on their shoulders :whistle: ) they'd likely not claim awards they aren't entitled to. Impersonating is wholey different to key provisions of this law which is about fabrication of service/gallantry awards. It has been a sensitive issue over here for many many decades, but recently laws liek this were more a result of politcial distracting and grandstanding during the more tense periods of the Iraq folly. More of a cynical 'support the troops' excersise in distraction from meaningful discussion of other matters. For the most part people who attempt this are eventually caught out and their peers take care of it, - this too has been happening since way back. To some extent this sort of delusion and aggrandizment is an aspect of human nature as old as time and unlikely to go away, silly laws or not, and their are comparable concerns with peoples resumes, educational claims, professional certificates etc. not just military awards. What a lot of people don't comprehend is that the internet makes it so much faster and easier to get caught out in a lie.

I think it was a very soudn decision and hopefully they may address the other silly law with respect to ownership of the Congressional Medal of Honour (note the incorpration of the 'u' - I am formerly a Canadian and old habits die hard) which to some extent jeopardizes lawful commoration of deserving soldiers by people liek us who are most conscious of their sacrifices.

So my $0.02

I can't see politicians or lawyers ever agreeing to legislation that penalises lying and bullsh*tting,

Bankers ? You forgot bankers.

... the Congressional Medal of Honour (note the incorpration of the 'u' - I am formerly a Canadian and old habits die hard)

Each to their own, but as it's a US medal, and a proper name, I would spell it their way, as with 'Pearl Harbor'. Or 'Stolen Valor Act', come to that.

But then I also spell 'incorporation' with an 'o' in the middle ... :whistle: