Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New germam & turk bayonets

sawdoc34

Hello chaps,

just a few new additions to the collection, 2 have partial German WW1 markings.

Question is, is there any way of finding out which regiment/where they served from them?

Top- maker E. WILHELM over SUHL, spine W73, crossguard 73. R & few other numbers that cant quite make out, will try with another magnifying glass later.

2nd- maker J A HENCKELS, spine 17, crossguard 222

3rd- maker W K & C over SOLINGEN, cant quite make out date on spine, crossguard 115. RE. 12. missing numbers 20.

Bottom- no makers mark or date, just usual ASAF etc.

Cheers,

Aleck

mDSCN5413.jpg

DSCN5414.jpg

Rats, just seen this and it is already late for the nippers bed time. Look nice, andhope to see again tomorrow...

Trajan

Question is, is there any way of finding out which regiment/where they served from them?

If you can read the marking string stamped on the crossguard it is usually possible to discern which unit the item was issued to at that time.

Most of the markings that are found usually relate to service with a unit prior to the war, as marking was generally less common after it began.

For example a marking such as 115.R.4.206 would indicate use by the 4th Kompanie of the 115th Infanterie Regiment and Waffen Number 206.

Cheers, S>S

3rd- maker W K & C over SOLINGEN...

I DO like the 'Turked' scabbard!

... Bottom- no makers mark or date, just usual ASAF etc.

Now, that IS odd... it's a dead ringer for one I have, but on mine the original Osmanli markings on the ricasso are as clear as anything, and I can even trace the tail of the tughra. This is the first ASFA re-furbished job I have seen that has been scrubbed of its ricasso markings!

Trajan

PS: Oh, on the subject of ASFA marks... There is nice ASFA made and marked M 1935 on the Turkish e-bay at the moment advertised as a WWI Mauser bayonet... I have written to the seller twice now correcting him/her, but still no change. Apart from which the price is ridiculous - TL 350 = GBP 125 or so...

Nice work Sawdoc, looks like an interesting set. Let us know where you get to with the regimental markings too.

That turked 1898 is interesting, never seen one like that before. I presume those bayonets used to break quite a lot (given how thin they were) and once broken what better way to prolong their life...

That turked 1898 is interesting, never seen one like that before. I presume those bayonets used to break quite a lot (given how thin they were) and once broken what better way to prolong their life...

But whose to say it IS 'turked'.?? Our good friend 'Bubba' also had a habit of cutting down a damaged blade and turning it into something that may have been of some use at some time.

While the Turks were never too choosy in what they ... err 'reworked' [read here destroyed.!] they were systematic and methodical about what they did, meaning they had a standard length.

Cheers, S>S

Trajan,

all 3 of my cut down Turk M1903 have had their markings scrubbed, would like a 1 with markings but think that would be taking it a bit too far with that turk variation :whistle:

Jscott,

will have another look for the decent magnifying glass today & let you know the missing numbers but cant remember where I put the bloody thing :blush:

S/S,

noticed the difference the blade length, that is why I lined its crossguard up with the cut down turk & noted no turk markings. Could this have been converted form a broken blade (as jscott says these are thin blades & prone to breaking) in wartime to a fighting knife?

Cheers,

Aleck

My guess on your last point is that this could well have happened, however difficult to prove whether this happened during the war or after... The shortened scabbard is a nice touch however!