Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help Identifying Regiment

lindiloo

http://o.mfcreative.com/f1/file02/objec ... ccad-1.jpg

I am trying to identify this chap from his photograph. The picture was found hidden behind an old photograph of my great grandmother. I know she was married twice and that her first husband died in 1908. Her second husband died on the somme 1st July 1916, Aged 38. His regiment was York and Lancaster Regiment...14th Bn.

I have identified the photographer (Mirror Studios Great Yarmouth) and I have found that they traded at least between 1912 and 1933.

Personally, I dont think the chap in this photograph looks old enough to be the second husband and I also can't identify the cap badge. It's nothing like the images I've found for York and Lancaster Regiment.

I suppose it could be a brother or other relative but he is the image of my dad so I'm positive it's a relative. Any assistance would be appreciated.

post-87709-0-06797700-1329694381.jpg

I agree that he is manifestly Royal Artillery and appears also to have a two part shoulder title, which would make him a territorial.

Thank you so much ! This is absolutely brilliant. Hopefully this info will help me to put a name to him.

I do have one more photograph that I need help with.

My nan wrote names on the backs of her photo collection in her latter years, but sometimes we think she may have just guessed....bless her !

We think this could be my great aunts husband. His name was actually William, but nan wrote George on the back. Knowing the regiment would help.

Thank You Again

post-87709-0-51730900-1329777411.jpg

Thank you so much ! This is absolutely brilliant. Hopefully this info will help me to put a name to him.

I do have one more photograph that I need help with.

My nan wrote names on the backs of her photo collection in her latter years, but sometimes we think she may have just guessed....bless her !

We think this could be my great aunts husband. His name was actually William, but nan wrote George on the back. Knowing the regiment would help.

Thank You Again

He is a young Royal Engineer probably in the 1920s, as after 1922 the wearing of the bomb shaped collar badges with honour scroll inscribed UBIQUE that you can clearly see became the norm. The bomb had 7 flames whereas a similar Royal Artillery collar badge had 9 flames.