Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gilbert Myers - 2/8 West Yorks Regt

Gmanx

I've started to draw how Gilbert will appear on screen, and I'd be greatful if anyone can point me to a kit list for the Leeds Rifles for Cambrai (20 Nov 1917). This is as far as I've got:

GilbertCharSheetTempCol2.jpg

I know there's more kit than this, and he would probably have some additional winter clothing, maybe the sleeveless leather (or shepskin) jerkin - but I need good pictures, which are accurate to the time period. Can anyone help?

Hello Gary, I have sent you a PM.

Cheers Roger - answered!

I think I'll pop the 'contemporary kit' request over in the uniform section too - get some 'equipment specific' eyes on it.

• 3 months later...

The trailer for Gilbert's War was done in time for Armistice day, and is available to see here:

Huge thanks to all those who have helped me so far. Now it's time for me to get on with the meat of the thing - 20 minutes done for August 2014.

• 3 months later...

As I write the screenplay for Gilbert's War, I find that I'll need to show how the battle progressed at Cambrai, and because this is an animated project, everything seen on screen has to be drawn or modelled by me which means that I have to know what everything looks like.

To help me I have the Osprey campaign book 'Cambrai 1917 - The birth of armoured warfare' which contains some excellent illustrations, photos and maps - and the West Yorks Regiment war diaries by Everard Wyrall, which are proving indispensible.

I wonder if anyone can help with the following?

According to the Wyrall War diaries, it seems that on the day of the Cambrai offensive (20 Nov 1917) D company of the West Yorks were tasked with the 'Blue line' objective, as part of the 185th Infantry Brigade, under Brig. Gen. Viscount Hampden. The map in my Osprey 'Cambrai 1917' book has the 185th pushing toward the Siegfried Stellung front system by 08:20hrs. Would they have marched through Havrincourt later that morning? Would the tanks have travelled along the roads through Havrincourt?

I would also like to know what the initial field hospital Gilbert was initially taken to would have looked like. Would it have been a tent? Or a requisitioned building, or a purpose built structure? Would he have been transported to the railway on a truck? I imagine he was then sent to Rouen and by ship, through Le Havre, and home. Is there any way I can find out what type of ship he was on? I think it was called the St Patrick. That name appears on one of his records (attached) and I think it relates to the vessel he was put on?.

I would be eternally grateful if any of you can help in any way. If I'm missing some vital piece of visual record, like a specific documentary on the battle at Cambrai, then please let me know!

Regards,

Gary.