Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Newly obtained Victory Medal

priv

Pals,

I have just obtained a Victory Medal the recipient being in the B.R.C.S. (British Red Cross), as you would expect there was no Serial Number. I have already contacted the Red Cross as recommended by the IWM link page, and will hopefully get some info back shortly.

Just out of interest, has anyone else come across these, and if so how often. I have never before seen one and it was this that persuaded me to buy it.

If anyone can add any onformation to the scarcity of these medal and possible value, I would be delighted to hear from you.

Many thanks and look forward to many replies !

James

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Yes indeed, in fact I have had one or two in the past. Like many units viz medals they are not as common as they once were. I am sure Roger will be able to tell you what the collecting situation was like just after WW2.

A nice item though. Someone called Maurice Digby or Horace Digby (??) had quite a big collection of BRC medals sometime ago, not sure whether he is stillon the scene.

Ian

Ian,

I was just inrigued by this piece, I bought it on the spec of finding about the recipient and what role thy played. Let's hope the Red Cross come back with some interesting info.

Are they collectable ? I am not looking for a short term profit, but I would be intrigued to know if I have something of value. As with all the medals I buy, I tend to find it very hard to let them go especially when you get some research back that is interesting. I posted earlier today re an ASC 15 Trio, that is not normally up my street, but have since found out that he was in Egypt, aged about 34 and was entitled to a SWB before he was discharged. I recall your post about how an ASC recipient proved to be more interesting than an infantry man - I blame you now for getting me away from my main direction, but it is certainly very interesting to pursue other areas if the pieces can be obtained at a fair and reasonable price (£ 31 in this instance !)

James

Hi James.

I have a lovely 1914 Star trio with the star named to D.M.Stone, B.R.C.S.& O.St.J.J. He was with the Duchess of Westminster's Hospital (No.1 British Red Cross Hospital),from 28 Sept.,1914 on and later was an officer in the RAMC (his war and victory medals are named to him as a captain).

He was a doctor at the hospital, although these is no "Dr." on the star, just his initials and last name.

Terry,

They sound good. The Vic Medal I have solely bears the recipients name and B.R.C.S. so they were obviously always a civilian and never held any military rank.

I have contacted the red cross who have a dedicated research side and expect to hear something back in the next 2-3 weeks.

As I mentioend earleir, what drew me to this piece was that I had never come across one before, and is worthy or some good research. I wondered if you had any idea of how common B.R.C.S. medals (in particular the Victory therefoe served in a theater of war) are. I am not looking to part with this, but would be intrigued to find out about their rarity.

Your personal findings would be most welcome - have you had the Trio for long ?

James