Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

US Army Taking Back WWI Rifles from VFW Groups

ph0ebus

I have never heard of something like this before...have you? This story, appearing in a Minnesota paper, says the following:

Some World War One bolt-action rifles that were stored at the Dilworth Community Center have been returned to their rightful owners -- the US Army. Dilworth VFW Commander Jason Hicks says the old rifles weren't being used anymore. The army has been asking veterans groups across the country to return World War One bolt-action rifles so they can be replaced with newer ones. The rifles are used for military funeralsband other ceremonies.

My question is, if this is true, what is becoming of all these rifles once they are in the hands of the Army? Anyone know? I hope they are not destroying them.

Daniel

I have never heard of something like this before...have you? This story, appearing in a Minnesota paper, says the following:

Some World War One bolt-action rifles that were stored at the Dilworth Community Center have been returned to their rightful owners -- the US Army. Dilworth VFW Commander Jason Hicks says the old rifles weren't being used anymore. The army has been asking veterans groups across the country to return World War One bolt-action rifles so they can be replaced with newer ones. The rifles are used for military funeralsband other ceremonies.

My question is, if this is true, what is becoming of all these rifles once they are in the hands of the Army? Anyone know? I hope they are not destroying them.

Daniel

Hi Daniel

They could end up being deactivated, or scrapped depending on condition.

Regards.

Gerwyn

Some World War One bolt-action rifles that were stored at the Dilworth Community Center have been returned to their rightful owners -- the US Army. Dilworth VFW Commander Jason Hicks says the old rifles weren't being used anymore. The army has been asking veterans groups across the country to return World War One bolt-action rifles so they can be replaced with newer ones. The rifles are used for military funerals and other ceremonies.

The policy has been reversed after U.S. Rep. John Kline (R-MN) planned to introduce legislation to "allow" the army to donate the Springfields to VFW and American Legion chapters. The army wanted to replace the Springfield rifles used by VFW honor guards with M1 Garands.

http://www.twincities.com/localnews/ci_19927827

My hunch is that since the Obama administration has banned the sale to the public of surplus M1 Garands returned from arsenals in South Korea, the army was trying to find a use for them. Currently there's a huge uproar among gun buyers and the NRA, who are lobbying Congress to allow these rifles to be sold, as they were under the Bush administration. The Obama administration has designated them "assault rifles" and is refusing to allow them to be sold.

It seems pretty clear that the Pentagon--under pressure from the White House--was trying to find a rationale for keeping the M1 Garands. The decision to replace the Springfields was never explained. The Minnesota Star Tribune reported that it couldn't get an answer from the Pentagon on why the change was to be made in the first place. I'm betting the plan was to say, "Well, we can't sell the Garands to the public because we need them for all the VFW and American Legion honor guards."

Congressman Kline's legislation would've forced the Pentagon to explain why they couldn't simply donate the Springfields, so instead of having to reveal what's likely the real reason behind this stupidity, the Pentagon simply reversed itself.

Most of the VFW rifles I have seen bare little relationship to issue WWI rifles

Many of them are chrome plated, often in synthetic stocks. A good number of the ones I have seen in local honor guards are actually 03-A3 rifles rather than WWI vintage.

I have had the chance to look over quite a few and I have not seen one that I would counsider historically very interesting.

Chris

To use a hackneyed phrase

"only in America"

Yes, no British government ministry has ever in its entire existence adopted a nonsensical policy that was later reversed. It happens only in America. Yup.

Yes, no British government ministry has ever in its entire existence adopted a nonsensical policy that was later reversed. It happens only in America. Yup.

:thumbsup: