Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dicing with regulations and actualities

Wings5797

Hello Everybody,

Can somebody please help me to discover if the following two dress regulations were actually used, specifically with the Gordon Highlanders.

My principle question is concerning the green in the dicing of the Gordons glengarry. I know that dicing on the regiments feather bonnets at Waterloo were of this colour but I cannot find an example of a 1914 Glengarry with the scarlet white and green. They all seem to be scarlet white and blue.

Glengarry

Seaforth Highlanders, Gordon Highlanders, Royal

Scots Fusiliers, Kings Own Scottish Borderers, Royal Scots

RACD Pattern 6888/1908 1-Oct-08

Blue with Scarlet Tuft, Diced Scarlet White and Green; black calfskin sweatband

Seaforth Highlanders, Gordon Highlanders, Royal Scots Fusiliers, Kings Own Scottish Borderers, Royal Scots

RACD Pattern 8089/1914 10-Jul-14

Blue with Scarlet Tuft, Diced Scarlet White and Green; brown leather calfskin, chromed tanned

These regulations are copied from from an old thread and were posted by the font of all things uniform knowledge Joe Sweeny and brought to my attention by Grovetown.

Thank you for any confirmation or otherwise that you may be able to offer.

Regards, Keith

...but I cannot find an example of a 1914 Glengarry with the scarlet white and green. They all seem to be scarlet white and blue.

Seaforth are the same. This is a result of the "green" used at the time being very dark, and the blue of the body also being very dark, making them almost indistinguishable to the naked eye. If you look at a lot of the modern civvy made glengarries they have just eyeballed the colours and use black for both.... :rolleyes:

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for your reply. I thought that something like this would be the case rather than anyone putting years of the scarlet white and green traditions to one side.

Kind regards,

Keith.