Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Reunited after twenty odd years

HarryBettsMCDCM

In the words of the Police Academy Commandant:~ "Many many,many many years ago" in response to a letter published in a Northamptonshire newspaper seeking information about two 6th battalion MM winners Sjt James Butlin and Cpl William Hole who's groups I had then recently accquired,[& still have despite the best attempts of a thief at the Peterborough City Museum, during an exhibition] I was sent a batch of photographs by a very kind lady, of her Father, William "Bill" Paige, who had enlisted into the Northamptonshire Regiment in 1914 and been posted to the 6th Service Battalion, one delightfully shows a group of 6th Bn NCOs and a Teddy Bear wearing the Northamptonshire's Cap Badge on a Regimental ribbon, the Ted having been, according to William Paige's writing on the rear of the photo postcard, given to the men by a young girl, as they boarded their Troopship for France in July 1915, another depicts a Company of men in which Bill Paige is depicted. The other shows Bill Paige, in uniform with his Bride, there was also a German postcard with a Prussian Soldier in Pickelhaube, full kit and Bayonet ready, franked to an address in Prussia, reputedly removed from the German soldier by Bill Paige when he was Captured by the 6th Bn.however I digress, whilst recently perusing the lots on eBay a 1914~15 Star BWM & AVM trio to a 14665 Pte/Sgt W.Paige Northn.n R. caught my eye....T'was my Bill Paige!!, At the time the Photographs were sent [1980s] the Medals were in the hands of the Family, as were the Photos,which had been loaned to me to be copied and were returned, so I had no expectation of the Medals ever being on the Market!! Re~Sult!!!

:poppy::thumbsup:

post-2388-0-45300000-1329170320.jpg

post-2388-0-60918600-1329170344.jpg

post-2388-0-53487400-1329170363.jpg

post-2388-0-11175700-1329170389.jpg

It's a brilliant feeling when results like that occur, isn't it? Suddenly finding images or histories of the men whose medals I owned (years ago) was something similar - and I still get a thrill when I can put a face to a memorial name!

Well done!

Clive

Possibly information you have already but here are my notes on him:

14665 William Paige

- Enlisted about 5th September 1914

- To France as a Private with 6th Battalion on 26th July 1915

- Awarded a Divisional Gallantry Parchment as a Cpl. with 6th Battalion, Northampton Independent 15-7-1916

- Reported as Missing as a Sergeant per the Official Casualty Lists of 11-6-1918, possibly with 6th Bn. at Hangard (Northampton).

- Not on CWGC/SDGW - Probable POW at Hangard Wood.

- Reported as a POW per the Northampton Chronicle 4-5-1918

- Class Z Reserve 12th April 1919

- Per list of suvivors in 4 VCs in forty months - "W H Paige, Birchfield Road East, Northampton."

- Probable: William Henry Paige, born in 1890 at Northampton (St Edmunds), son of Albert Henry Parker Paige (stockman on farm) and Mrs Louisa Paige, of 2 Newington Road, Kingsthorpe, Northampton (as of 1901 Census). Possibly died in 1965.

- Ancestry family tree shows born 21-12-1890; died 22-11-1965; married at Swindon on 12-7-1915 to Winifred Ellen Piggott - when 6th Northamptons were in final training at Codford. (1916 Northampton Roll of Honour and 1918 AVL shows Piggott family at 59 Balmoral Road, the address on the Northampton Chronicle article.

- 1901 Census shows the family living next to the "Bective Estate" in 1901 as noted in the Independent article.

- His wife was the sister of Captain William Piggott, a long term 2nd Battalion N.C.O. who was promoted from the ranks in December 1916 and killed in action with 2nd Battalion on 24th March 1918.

Northampton Independent 15-7-1916 - "Northampton Soldier's Devoted Service - A long record of devoted service in the field is revealed in a letter of parchment which has been presented to Corpl. W. Paige, 6th Northamptons by the General. It states: 'I have read with great pleasure a report from your Regimental Commander and Brigade Commander of your gallant conduct and devotion to duty in the Field from September {1915} to January {1916}.' This is only one instance of silent heroism displayed by the men of the County Regiment, who have added fresh lustre to their glorious traditions. Previous to the war, Corpl. paige was employed at the Bective factory, and at one time was Captain of the Kingsthorpe United Football Club."

post-6536-0-13415000-1329175960.jpg

Northampton Chronicle 4-5-1918 - "Prisoner of War. Sergt. W. Paige, Northants. Regt. Husband of Mrs Paige, 59 Balmoral Road, Northampton. Prisoner of War in Germany. Joined up in September 1914. Been in France three years. Worked as a clicker at Messrs. Branch, Kingsthorpe."

Steve.

Stebie!! Many thanks for the additional information, I had no idea he'd been awarded a Divisional Gallantry Card or had been PoW, so that is all of great interest,also the NI article,which is appreciated greatly.

LST_164, It never ceases to be a moment of joy when this sort of thing occurs and the story unfolds.. TYVM both.