Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What are these medals

jemm

Hi,

Could someone please tell me what these medals would be. Thankyou.

post-4696-0-94340300-1329128554.jpg

Then it is a Distinguished Conduct Medal and a Military Medal.

The picture is reversed.

Quite probablly :) The photograph came from a pile of negatives I found in a drawer at the museum I help out at. Thanks now all I have to do is identify him.

Thanks for that Robert, off to go through my DCM research for my area see if I can identify the chappy :)

Not sure if it reversed or not.Personally I'd say not - a larger picture showing the join between the two sides of the jacket (there must be a technical term) would prove it.

It is reversed in Pic 1 - as the King's head faces the wrong way.

Thanks - sorry for doubting!

You may have noticed I have taken the liberty of placing it in the correct orientation all the way down at post number 4. Mother taught me many years ago which way my jacket is buttoned.

You may have noticed I have taken the liberty of placing it in the correct orientation all the way down at post number 4. Mother taught me many years ago which way my jacket is buttoned.

Thankyou :)just for clarification I have reorientated the picture.

post-4696-0-35835100-1329157864.jpg

A brave young man, do you know who he is?

A brave young man, do you know who he is?

No unfortunately. His picture came from a pile of negatives I found in a drawer. Im not sure if he came from my village or one close by. I do have information on several DCM recipitents but none are Sergeants, although of course he may not have been when presented with medal so.... I have access to our original local papers for the period of the war will just have to sift through them at some point soon :)

Actually with hindsight, think it could be the chappy I first thought of, even though he was a Lance Corporal when he recieved his DCM he was promoted to Sergt. So I think its Bacup WWI soldier - Sjt C Kershaw DCM MM 1st Btn Coldstream Guards. Have just sent the picture to a a guy who was researching him .. fingers crossed :)

Length and curve of the shoulder title suggest a County Infantry regiment, but beyond that...

Staffs, I'm not sure about the ST, on another look it doesn't seem wide enough.

Could be the angle of the photo - looks too long and upwardly curving to be a Corps one...