Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

36th (Ulster) Division

Lachlan

Martin Middlebrook mentioned in his book "The First Day of the Somme" on 1st July 1916, soldiers of the 36th (Ulster) Division went over the top wearing their L.O.O. sashes (carried since they left home) across their bodies, over their kit. Is it known if this was widespread practice that day, or only a few chose to do it ?

I am not an expert by any means, but I do not believe it to have been widespread and some would argue that it is a fable.

Not sure if this would interest you, but I have a pictures from the Belfast Telegraph of the Ulster Division LOL 862 (16-12-1919) and the dedication of LOL 977's "Ulster Division" Memorial Banner - if you want copies, PM with your email address.

Nigel

There were around 10 Orange Warrants issued to Battalions during the Great War, I do have a list of all issued but that is buried in an envelope buried in a box in an extremely full loft, the Orange Order Historian would happily answer any questions you might have I found them very helpful previously:

The Grand Orange Lodge of Ireland

Schomberg House

368 Cregagh Road

Belfast.

Normal office hours (9.30 - 5.00)

(Tel. 028 9070 1122).

trench.jpg

Picture from inside the Ulster Tower.

The Grand Orange Lodge of England granted 16 Warrants for the duration of the Great War. 4 Naval. 12 Army (10 BEF and 2 CEF)

The English representative who issued them was:

Lt. Col. T.W. Richardson, 104, Tollington Park, N. London.

The Naval Warrants:

English Naval Representative - Thomas Spanner, H.D.G.M. (H? - Deputy Grand Master)

13 Milford Road, Fratton, Portsmouth.

Contact me for a full list of the lodges.