Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

boer war/ww1

munchkin

Gents,

I have been able to complete this task for my favourite Regt (the Dorsetshire Regt) fairly easily. All you need are the pre-Great War medal rolls and the WW1 medal rolls. When entered into a spreadsheet (too thick to use a database I'm afraid) then it is easy to sort or filter against regimental numbers which will indicate those who were either still with the colours on or the reserve, or against surname/initials. Old sweats who re-enlisted invariably went back to their old Regts. So if the name of an Indian NW Frontier or Boer War veteran also appears with a New Army or Special Reservist number then chances are he is one and the same man. One can never be certain unless the name is uncommon without reference to service papers but it's a fair bet.

I said fairly easily - requirements are deep pockets for an awful lot of photocopying at Kew, enormous patience to computerise the lot and a passion for you Regt, but I have found it thoroughly rewarding. It's a wonder I'm still married!

Regards

Steve

I came across this thread when looking for information on Boer War soldiers. Two of my great-great uncles, 4177 Alfred Cleall and his brother 4308 Wilfred Cleall served with the Dorsetshire Regiment 1st Battalion in India on the North-West Frontier, and then with the 2nd Battalion in South Africa towards the end of the Second Boer War. Both men were awarded the India Medal 1895 (with Punjab Frontier 1897-98 and Tirah 1897-98 clasps) and the Queen's South Africa Medal 1899-1902 (with Transvaal and South Africa 1902 clasps).

At the conclusion of the Boer War, Alf and Wilf both transferred to the Army Reserve. Alf subsequently re-enlisted with the North Somerset Yeomanry (service no 942) where he rose to the rank of Serjeant, before dying of wounds near Zillebeke on 17 November 1914. As Alf's First World War service was not with the Dorsets, I presume he doesn't appear on Steve's database.

Alan

When did it become common to call it the Boer War? From records of men I have researched up to the end of WW1 it was called the South African Campaign.

Found an interesting one whilst researching the War Memorial in Trimley St Mary for someone buried in the churchyard but not on the War Memorial or Roll of Honour.

Frederick Tuck served in South Africa in the Second Anglo - Boer War and in France in WW1 with the Royal Marines Light Infantry after joining them in 1897 and was demobilised in July 1919.

He re enlisted with the Royal Navy for Local Defence Duty as Able Seaman at HMS Beehive Felixstowe in August 1940 but unfortunately died of cancer in HMS Ganges Sick Bay in August 1941 aged 62.

I'm posting the message below in response to a comment I've received from Tom Compton. I've tried to reply to it via the PM system, but the system tells me that Tom can't receive new messages, and the message is too long to reply to his comment. I hope Tom sees it here.

Hello Tom,

Thanks for your message. I'm afraid I don't have much to tell you about the 1st Dorsets' time in India, apart from what I've found on the internet. In fact, it was only through reading Alf Cleall's WW1 obituary when doing some research last month that I discovered he (and his brother) had also served in India and the Boer War. However, you may find the following links of interest.

http://www.britishem...try/dorsets.htm

http://www.britishem...orsetstirah.htm

http://en.wikipedia..../Tirah_Campaign

http://www.northeast...service1895.htm

You might also find these books useful for more information:

BARTHORP, Michael

The Frontier Ablaze

Windrow & Greene, 1996

ISBN: 1859150233

BISHOP, Terry

Dorsetshire Regiment

History Press, 1999

ISBN: 9780752418476

SWINSON, Arthur

North West Frontier

Hutchinson, 1967

ISBN: 0090826906

I hope this is of some help.

Best wishes,

Alan

My Great uncle Barton Norris Olney was 14957 Trumpeter 28th Company 4th Battalion Imperial Yeomanry and later a Major in the Royal Sussex Regiment in WWI