Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gordon Glen and Gary

Wings5797

Hi everybody.

Can someone please advise me on the cap badge backing/rosette of the 1914 Gordon Highlanders glengary.

Over the years have seen examples of both black silk rosette and Gordon tartan patch but would be most grateful for clarification for this particular year.

Many thanks

Keith

Hi everybody.

Can someone please advise me on the cap badge backing/rosette of the 1914 Gordon Highlanders glengary.

Over the years have seen examples of both black silk rosette and Gordon tartan patch but would be most grateful for clarification for this particular year.

Many thanks

Keith

On the Glengarry (Black with dicing) I have only ever seen a silk rosette. I have seen Tam O'shanters (Khaki)with a patch of tartan behind the badge but I have never seen (in life or in a picture) a tartan patch on a Gordons' Glengarry.

In 1914 soldiers would have been wearing the Glengarry, I believe Tams were not introduced into general service until slightly later (1915?)

Chris

Hi Chris,

Many thanks, I knew you would come up with the goods yet again.

Kindest regards,

Keith

Hi sandie,

I know this model very well and have respected the sculptor, Carl Reid for many years. As you say the model is very accurate for this period. Unfortunately Carl did not paint this example which is painted with the tartan patch behind the cap badge and on the upper left arm. I believe that both are incorrect?

Thank you for your input

Kind regards,

Keith

On the Glengarry (Black with dicing) I have only ever seen a silk rosette. I have seen Tam O'shanters (Khaki)with a patch of tartan behind the badge but I have never seen (in life or in a picture) a tartan patch on a Gordons' Glengarry.

In 1914 soldiers would have been wearing the Glengarry, I believe Tams were not introduced into general service until slightly later (1915?)

Chris

Gordons pattern glengarry - RACD Pattern 8089/194 of July 10th 1914 - was blue with a scarlet tourie (and scarlet, white and green dicing band).

Cheers,

GT.

Gordons pattern glengarry - RACD Pattern 8089/194 of July 10th 1914 - was blue with a scarlet tourie (and scarlet, white and green dicing band).

Cheers,

GT.

My error...apologies (although the blue is very very dark :whistle: )

Chris

Hi GT,

Thank you for that information, I never concidered that the dicing was anything other than red, white and Navy Blue,

I have seen many a miniature figure painter pontificate the shade of blue dicing on this head gear. What a scoop.

Great stuff, kind regards

Keith

My error...apologies (although the blue is very very dark :whistle: )

Chris

Very dark blue indeed Chris!! There was also a 1 omitted from the pattern number: should be RACD Pattern 8089/1914. We are indebted, as usual, to Joe for the detail.

Cheers,

GT.

Hello,

I have a photo of a Seaforth Highlander with a Glengarry that has a tartan patch behind the badge. I don't have access to a scanner to show it right now.

Owain.

Hi Owain,

Thank you for your input. Do you know the date that the photograph was taken?

If you ever have the where with all to post the picture I would love to see it.

Kind regards

Keith