Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

medals

Khaki

I sometimes see great war medals in their original shipping boxes, mint condition and never worn. Enquiries show that the recipient lived a long life but was "hostile" (my word) toward the military and anything related to it. I have even read of veterans throwing medals into the sea.

My question would be, why apply for them in the first place? I know many did not. Has anyone ever read or heard why family members did this? I suppose later post traumatic stress manifesting itself could be a reason, maybe postwar disillusionment with economy and "the land fit for heroes.

what do you think?

khaki

I sometimes see great war medals in their original shipping boxes, mint condition and never worn. Enquiries show that the recipient lived a long life but was "hostile" (my word) toward the military and anything related to it. I have even read of veterans throwing medals into the sea.

My question would be, why apply for them in the first place? I know many did not. Has anyone ever read or heard why family members did this? I suppose later post traumatic stress manifesting itself could be a reason, maybe postwar disillusionment with economy and "the land fit for heroes.

what do you think?

khaki

As I understand it only Officers claimed their medals. The rest were issued irrespective.

I dont think we can make generic conclusions based on the fact that boxed medals = "hostile" reaction. Soldier may have recieved medals and not being the sort to attend parades or have Sunday best / attend mess / old comrades dinners etc simply had no opportunity to wear them.

My own medals remain boxed and likely will never be worn however I have no hostility to wearing them or what they stand for...simply no occasion to wear!

Regards

TT

I agree with TT, there have been millions of servicemen and women over the years of this century, every one an individual not everyone had an opportunity or wish to wear their medals or saw their time in the forces as anything other than a job of work they chose or were forced to undertake. After WW1 and WW2 there were plenty of other distractions like working, supporting families and surviving in a not very nice world.

khaki,

I side,from personal experience,with TT and a.c.

My late Father was a Policeman throughout WW2, earning the appropriate Medal plus his post-War service entitlement.They are mounted but I do not recall him ever wearing them after his retirement from the Police e.g. Remembrance Services.I assume,therefore,he only wore them as part of his "official uniform".

My late Father-in-Law was in the RAF during WW2,earning the appropriate Stars and being a "marcher" on the London Victory Parade.His Medals are, as he received.He took great pride in having been in the RAF e.g building from kits(Airfix) but particularly painting models, of the aircraft, he saw fly but talked little about his actual service experiences.He never expressed a desire to wear his Medals,even late into his life, at Remembrance Services,etc.His Medals remain within the Family.

I,personally, have both inherited my Father's Medals and his two Brothers,WW1 Trios(both killed),in their "received" states and in which they will remain, as long as I am their custodian.

George

The instance of the veteran throwing his medals into the sea, was based on an interview that was done 1980's I think, I don't think that would have been that common, in fact more were probably pawned during 'lean' times. However I do think that there were available many occasions for wearing medals, Armistice Day, various unveiling's reunions and Anzac day in Australia and New Zealand., whether or not veterans chose to participate was their own choice apart from health causes.All that I suggest was that there must have been a reasonable number who just wished to disassociate.themselves from postwar activities.I cannot ascribe a motivation to their wish apart from what I have already suggested. It would be interesting to know whether that desire was greater amongst those who were conscripted.

khaki

While 'hostility' may be the answer in a few cases I think the major reason why most of those whose medals are in mint condition in the original boxes is that the men just never had the opportunity to wear their full-size medals. I have numerous sets of medals to Great War and World War II RA officers that are still in their original boxes in the cellophane envelopes and a number of them have mounted miniature groups with them. Why? Because they wore their miniatures rather than their full-sized medals. I have medals that I was awarded almost 60 years ago and they are still in their original boxes, as the few times I wear medals, I wear miniatures. Regards, Dick Flory

I belive in more than a few cases that when the medals came through the post many lads must have thought thats it after X years in the trenches and they were relagated to the back of a draw for 50 + years i have as many collectors do trios ,pairs in mint boxes even one group never taken out of the registerd envelope ! ,back in the 20s and 30s there would have been many occasions to wear medals ,not just parades or offical dos ,but on the other side of the coin i rember one veteran on TV back in the 1970s wore his trio all the time on his shirt !

My father (RN WW2) said he only sent for his medals because he was applying for the Prize Money (?£Fiver in 1946, worth having) and the gongs were on the same form. I found them still in the packets of issue when I was a boy, and he never wore them despite attending Remembrances; nor did he sign up to any of the various ex-service/veterans groups he could have joined. So when he applied for & got his Russian "Convoy" medal in the late 1980s I was flabbergasted - but it's still in its box!

Clive

• Admin

The instance of the veteran throwing his medals into the sea, was based on an interview that was done 1980's I think, I don't think that would have been that common,

You may be referring to Sassoon who didn't actually throw his medals in the sea - only the riband

The medals were sold for just over £4k a few years ago

http://www.dailymail...ar-protest.html

Ken

as above mine is in the original box it's been in for the past twenty years or so in the bottom of a cupboard in a bigger box marked 'treasures' and never sees the light of day!

You may be referring to Sassoon who didn't actually throw his medals in the sea - only the riband

The medals were sold for just over £4k a few years ago

http://www.dailymail...ar-protest.html

Ken

Thanks Ken,

I am familiar with the Sassoon story, but no it did not relate to him, this enlisted man did throw his medals into the sea.

khaki

i think one issue is that perhaps we feel it strange that lads awarded medals ,when they get them dont wear them ? it even seems to be blokes who went through not only the Great War but WW2 my own dad who was wounded in Normandy did not apply for his untill 1984 ,and that took some pushing ,and i know of people comeing back from the present conflicts walking in to the local jewellers and saying i dont want them how much for these ? a jeweller i know has had half a dozen groups come in within the last 2 years ,also slightly futher back i collected South Africa 1899 1902 to local raised cavalry units ,many were returned to Wolwich as the solider had left no foward adress ,and could not be botherd to collect his medals ?

My grandfathers medals were in the same boat (sic) never worn, never mentioned. He didn't go to reunions - there wasn't any RGA reunions in Oz anyway

so there was no opportunity to wear them even if he had wanted. The only reaction I can ever remember was his MSM turned up in 1941, 22 years after he

left the army. He was quite chuffed about it as the gratuity of 20 pounds a year was the same as that paid to a VC winner in those days. All of these medals

by the way are much better looked after than they were originally.

Hesmond,

My Dad,to my mind, "earned" his "Medal" for WW2 service as a Police Officer.

He had,after all,watched his Brother's go away to War, in WW1, and in an effort to "follow" them joined his local "Volunteer Battalion",in 1917, in anticipation of "his" conscription in January 1919.

His "service" in "His" Volunteer Battalion,assisted him to join the Police Service in 1919.

I appreciate,that "He" may have been "too old" to be "called up" for WW2 service despite his anticipation "of call up" in January 1919 i.e,drill, using a rifle,etc.

But the fact remains that Britain,with help from her Commonwealth,and her Allies,freed Mainland Europe from tyranny.

And I,for one,take pride that my Dad,in his own way,assisted, wore his "Medal" afterwards, when required, but consigned "it" to History, after his retirement from the Police Service, in 1955.

George.

p.s.I was too young to remember the Queen's accession but I do remember "Her" Coronation.

I think this thread is great and a true challange to trying to compare a modern view to an old and much more important... a non combatant (never knew the horror) and a modern arm chair collector / intereste party which by default we all probably are v Veteren, thanks for starting and look forward to more posts!

TT

I don't recall anyone in my family saying if my grandfather ever wore his medals - in fact I think he gave them to my cousin sometime before I was born, so I have no personal recollection of him wearing them! There again, he would not have been to any functions that would require them to be worn. Obviously, whatever thoughts he had on the matter will remain a mystery.

My late stepmum's dad, it appears, didn't wear his either (I would hazard a guess and say almost certainly for the same reason); during his time with the Homeguard in WWII he simply wore a BWM/VM medal ribbon on his uniform. I'm privileged to be the custodian of his WWI medals, and whereas his ribbon bar has clearly been well-used the medals don't appear to have been worn at all.

I might also add that, maybe with the exception of one great uncle, to my knowledge, none of my family who saw service in WWII wore their medals either - that's if they ever claimed for them to begin with (my other grandfather certainly didn't).

All the best

Steve

My father's medals for WW2 and Palestine 1945-48 came in the post in 1971. He was an officer, so presumably applied for them (I cannot say whether he did) but never wore them.

My Uncle's medals (North Africa & Italy 1942-45) remained in the box of issue and packets until 1980 when he gave them to me and I had them mounted and framed. He wasn't interested. After my aunt passed away he started going to parades - so I had an alternative set made, which he wears.

My Grandfather - Uncle's father - certainly did wear his 14-15 Trio as he rejoined the TA in the late 20s and had to wear them on parade. He never wore his 1939-45 Defence and War Medals though.

A neighbour (11th Armoured Division, 1944-45) gave me his WW2 Medals in box of issue, unworn, in 1985 - along with his metal and enamel army signaller's badge. The one thing he would not give me was his cap badge.

I believe the statement that there wasn't an oportunity to wear their medals is bit of a red herring. Those that wanted to had ample chance and not neccessarily at a regimental function and could have at least worn them once a year at the Remembrance Sunday church services. The choice was theirs. When we inherited my wife's grandfather's medals they were still in their packets and the ribbons were unattached. Pop was not a military man but like the vast majority did his bit and came home and got on with his life. Again like so many others he probably wanted to forget what he had witnessed and what had happened to him when he was wounded. So unimpressed was he with his medals that Pop never even bothered to have the name corrected on the rim and is impressed Sutkin instead of Lutkin. To many men they were/are a source of great pride and my father was one who proudly wore his medals at many, many parades and functions. Sadly to our great horror they were lost by the undertaker, pinned to the chest of another man and buried with him. They were to have come to me after the funeral service where they should have been placed on top of the coffin for his military funeral. I have had them replaced with official Medal Office replacement medals and apart from three very special occasions when I've worn them with my medal, they stay in my father's trophy cabinet.

Lionboxer

Hello,

I started a similar thread on the forum a while ago. I knew a veteran named Duggie Grant, who served with the 1st Cameron Highlanders. He told me that he threw his medals into Loch Linnhe. He still remembered his army number of S/22732.

I got my VRSM last november. Still not mounted for wear. I think my wife was more impressed with it that I.

Owain.

I think a factor in how one treated their medals is how strongly one associated their identity with being a soldier or not. My dad served in WWII in the Pacific Theater; he joined up as soon as he was old enough, did his bit and came home. He saw it as something that needed to be done and he did it, and not much more than that. Once he left the service he left all of that part of his life and identity behind him, as best as he could, anyway. He did not stay in touch with the fellows he served with, did not go to Veterans events and the like. He put his medals in a keepsake box, where they sat for 60-odd years untouched until his death.

Others certainly see their time as a soldier as a core part of their identity, wearing the kit, hats and such decades after their service ends, which is what they want.

-Daniel