Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lancashire Fusilier cap badge advice

christipper1000@hotmail.co

Hello - I'm currently trying to acquire an original ww1 Lancashire Fusiliers cap badge for a commemorative show piece i'm trying to put together for my Great-Great grandfather who fell 1918 whilst serving the 10th Batt - 'B' Coy.

The problem is, I'm running into alot of suspect re strikes etc - some with sliders, others with split pin, some makers marked others not...the list goes on.

What i'm asking is, what things should I be looking for in a badge in order to locate an original ww1 badge?

any advice would be fantastic!!!!

thanks in advance!thumbsup.png

If you live near Stratford Upon Avon there is a medal and badge fair in March. There are some reputable dealers out there. Buywyze may have one but will be pricey also you could try Minden Militaria, Clanfield Militaria or visit and enlist in the British and commonwealth Military Badge forum. They have a thread on recommeded dealers.

Regards

TT

PS wont be hard to get a right one and will cost £15 or thereabouts, maybe cheaper. Dont get the restrike as a compramise though!

Hello - I'm currently trying to acquire an original ww1 Lancashire Fusiliers cap badge for a commemorative show piece i'm trying to put together for my Great-Great grandfather who fell 1918 whilst serving the 10th Batt - 'B' Coy.

The problem is, I'm running into alot of suspect re strikes etc - some with sliders, others with split pin, some makers marked others not...the list goes on.

What i'm asking is, what things should I be looking for in a badge in order to locate an original ww1 badge?

any advice would be fantastic!!!!

thanks in advance!thumbsup.png

Hi

Its going to be a hard one to find, even if you knew what to look for, there are so many dealers out there, selling what they say are genuine ones, you will find some with Gaunt on the slider, London /Bermingham, which were not WW1, and you find collectors, who say they do not have restrikes in their collection.

Regards.

Gerwyn

Right dealer and right price it will be easy to source a WW1 badge...as much as you can ever differentiate between WW1 and WW2. Buy a non maker marked one and you run less risk of copy. A common badge!!

TT

thanks for the advice guys - whats the best way to spot a restrike?............................if there is one?wacko.gif

thanks for the advice guys - whats the best way to spot a restrike?............................if there is one?wacko.gif

Join the British and Commonwealth Military Badge Forum :whistle:

Hi. If it feels right then buy it, I've been collecting fot years, and you could say I'm still learning, although I havent bought for a long time now, payed a lot of money on cap badges only to find out I wont get my money back. put my collection of Pals Badges on ebay, at £110.00, payed £60.00, for one of them, and £25.00 for another, with out the rest, , they did not sell.

"Go on gut feeling :thumbsup: ".

Regards.

Gerwyn

PM me: I deal with two kosher dealers who have high reputations, unconditional guarantees and very reasonable prices. £15 is way too much for your badge, even with p&p.

PM me: I deal with two kosher dealers who have high reputations, unconditional guarantees and very reasonable prices. £15 is way too much for your badge, even with p&p.

Hi GRUMPY

Whats a unconditional guarantee :unsure: .

Regards.

Gerwyn

Hi GRUMPY

Whats a unconditional guarantee :unsure: .

Regards.

Gerwyn

On the assumption that your question is not frivolous:

"if you don't like it, send it back, no questions asked and full refund"!

Good enough?

On the assumption that your question is not frivolous:

"if you don't like it, send it back, no questions asked and full refund"!

Good enough?

Hi GRUMPY

I've never been frivolous :blush: , "unless I like you :devilgrin:" , Cheers Mate.

Regards.

Gerwyn