Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HQ RFC Communications Flight / 1 (Communications) Squadron RAF

sgg13

Dear All,

I am seeking information in relation to the above.

In particular, whether it is possible to find the equivalent of the 'war diary' or other squadron records. I have seen references to unit histories at NA, but I have no idea where to start looking - any help would be much appreciated.

I have a picture of some of the pilots (majority named) from 1 (Communications) Squadron in 1918 and should be able to share at some point!

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies for not picking this up sooner sgg13, but when I started the previous thread RFC/RAF Communications Flight/Squadron thread, nearly two and a half years ago, I omitted to enable the email notification option.

So far as I'm aware, and I did quite a lot of digging, there is no surviving ORB or squadron diary for this unit. My particular interest is in the RFC/RAF Meteorological Flight which, because it was so small, was attached to the Communications Flight/Squadron for administration/messing purposes.

That said I'm wondering if anyone with a copy of Ray Sturtivant's RAF Flying Training and Support Units could advise if that contains an entry for the unit.

I have a photo of one of the Communications Squadron aircraft with, I believe, the unit's commander, Captain J A Liddle. If you email me at monbrythATaol dotcom (inserting the proper symbols) perhaps we can exchange photos. It's possible that the three Met Flight pilots were included in your photo as I'm pretty sure they occasionally flew for the Squadron. I have photos of the three men and others of the airfield.

Brian

From Sturtivant:

(No 1) COMMUNICATION SQUADRON

Formed 23.7.18 from No.2 (Hendon) AAPCommunications Flight as The Communication Squadron at HENDON,comprising 'A' Fit with 4 DH4 and 'B' Fit with a 1 1/2 Strutter, 2 504K, 2 BE2c, a Scout D, a D.H.9 and an F2b; 26.7.18 redesignated No.1 Communication Squadron (dett at Buc redesignated No.2 (Communication) Squadron 26.3.19); 26.11.18 B & C Fits ceased to exist; 17.4.19 KENLEY;by 29.5.19 with flights of 6 0/400, 6 D.H.4 (in lieu of 6 D.H.10) and 6 D.H.4,plus 1 504, 2 F.2b & 1 B.E.2e; by 4.6.19 now also 4 Martinsyde F.4); Disbanded 28.10.19. Aircraft: DH4,4A (F5764);DH.9 (D3275); 1 1/2 Strutter (.9672); 0/400 (C9762); BE2c/d/e (4122); Scout D (7053); F2b (C4885); 504A (D1641); Elephant (A6257); Pup (9924); Snipe (B9963)

Errol

Thank you Errol. Unfortunately it's not the same unit; Sturtivant has listed No 1 Communication Squadron based at Hendon, whereas the unit in France was HQ RAF Communications Squadron based at Berck. Darned confusing having two such similar names.

Brian

Hi

There is a little bit of information contained in Alan Lake's book 'Flying Units of the RAF', Airlife 1999, page 52:

"COMMUNICATION SQUADRON, GHQ ROYAL AIR FORCE, FRANCE, later COMMUNICATION FLIGHT, GHQ ROYAL AIR FORCE FRANCE.

Formed 1st April 1918 at Berck-sur-Mer, France, by redesignating the Communication Squadron, GHQ Royal Flying Corps, France. Redesignated Communication Flight GHQ Royal Air Force, France from November 1918.

Disbanded June 1919 at Bickendorf, Germany."

The piece also includes examples of aircraft used, these being RE.8 'C4583' and Camel 'F6189'.

I hope that is of some help.

Mike

Brian,

Sorry about that. Revisiting Sturtivant I find:

HEADQUARTERS ROYAL FLYING CORPS COMMUNICATION FLIGHT/SQUADRON

Formed 17.8.17 as The Headquarters Royal Flying Corps Communication Flight; elevated to Squadron status by the time it became RAF Communications Squadron at BERCK-SUR-MER 1.4.18. Aircraft: RE8; BE2; FK8.

HEADQUARTERS RAF COMMUNICATIONS SQUADRON/FLIGHT

Formed 1.4.18 as Headquarters (later General Headquarters) RAF Communications Squadron at BERCK-SUR-MER by redesignating the Headquarters RFC Communications Squadron (advanced base Avesnes-les-Sec); 11.18 relegated to Flight status; 11.11.18 ST.ANDRE-AUX-BOIS; 12.11.18 LECHELLE to ESTOURMEL; 19.12.18 AULNOY; 3.2.19 BERCK-SUR-MER; 14.5.19 BICKENDORF; Disbanded 12.9.19

Aircraft: RE8 (C4583); Camel (F6198); F.2b (E2403)

Errol

Thanks for confirming the existence of two Communication Squadrons Mike, that's a bit of a relief. Another aeroplane on strength was RE8 C2414 (I've a photo which includes the Squadron logo.)

I note that A/Capt T C Traill of 20 Sqn was flying E2403 when he destroyed a Fokker D.VII on 23 October 1918. Traill was awarded the DFC for this action - the story is worth reading, see http://www.theaerodrome.com/aces/england/traill2.php

Brian

• 3 years later...

No 1 / 2 Communication Squadron formed Hendon 1918, I am looking for any photos of pilot Capt Reginald Sheridan Carroll who was an official pilot with this sqn for flying the top brass to and from the peace conference in Paris and any other info that might relate to this

No 1 / 2 Communication Squadron formed Hendon 1918, I am looking for any photos of pilot Capt Reginald Sheridan Carroll who was an official pilot with this sqn for flying the top brass to and from the peace conference in Paris and any other info that might relate to this

There is a 1916 photograph of 2nd Lt Reginald Sheridan Carroll, RFC, in 'Great Britain, Royal Aero Club Aviators' Certificates, 1910-1959' on ancestry.co.uk.

He was born 7 May 1897 in London, Ontario, Canada and obtained his certificate, 2504, on a Maurice Farman Biplane at Military School, Catterick Bridge on 27 February 1916.

Captain Reginald Sheridan Carroll

JP

• 3 years later...
On 19/02/2012 at 20:40, Lyffe said:

Thanks for confirming the existence of two Communication Squadrons Mike, that's a bit of a relief. Another aeroplane on strength was RE8 C2414 (I've a photo which includes the Squadron logo.)

I note that A/Capt T C Traill of 20 Sqn was flying E2403 when he destroyed a Fokker D.VII on 23 October 1918. Traill was awarded the DFC for this action - the story is worth reading, see http://www.theaerodrome.com/aces/england/traill2.php

Brian

Brian,

If you are still on this forum : My great uncle Lt Bertram Pepper was the pilot of C2414 when it was lost in action on 1st October 1918. He was initially buried at Magny La Fosse churchyard, later transfered to Busigny Cem. I would be very interested in a copy of the photograph of C2414 if you still have it?

Thanks

Alan Moore

Leicestershire

• Admin
1 hour ago, Cloggy said:

Brian,

If you are still on this forum : My great uncle Lt Bertram Pepper was the pilot of C2414 when it was lost in action on 1st October 1918. He was initially buried at Magny La Fosse churchyard, later transfered to Busigny Cem. I would be very interested in a copy of the photograph of C2414 if you still have it?

Thanks

Alan Moore

Leicestershire

Alan

If you click on Lyffe's profile name and select message you can send them a pm. They will be alerted via the email address they registered with.

David

David,

Thank you for alerting Alan as to how to contact me.  I have replied, asking him to contact me off-board.  In the meantime would anyone have a copy of Trevor Henshaw's The Sky Their Battlefield for details of this loss, please?  I'm intrigued by Alan's reference to C2414 being lost in action; the implication being that the aircraft was engaged in an offensive role.  As has been described earlier in the thread the squadron's role was one of communication - flying passengers from A to B - and in fact the photo I have shows no indication that it had any armament. 

What it does have is the squadron motif on the fuselage - a silhouette of an old man in a 'flying' wheelchair (wings on the wheels).  The implication being that the squadron's role was the transport of the old men at HQ!   In fact this is what Pepper was doing the day he was killed; the CWGC indicating his passenger was Major HCB Kirkpatrick DSO MC, KOSB (Gen Staff).

Brian

RAF HQ Communications Sqn Berck.jpg

RAF HQ Communications Sqn motif.jpg

Further to my previous post, the distinctive building in the distance to the right confirms the photo was taken at Berck.

Brian

Brian,

In TSTB Trevor states that the aircraft was on a Special Patrol with GHQ , taking off at 7 30am

with Major HCB Kirkpatrick as passenger. The engine failed, and it was shot down in flames,

and crashed 1000 yards East of Lines near Cambrai.

Regards

Geoff

Thank you, Geoff.  The lack of reference to an enemy aircraft seems to imply that ground fire brought about its demise, rather than combat with another aircraft. 

I've attached another photo showing the same building.  This one is taken during  the first week of February 1919, from the road marking the airfield's eastern boundary; the road links Le Hameau d'Epy with Berck sur Mer, the church of which is visible in the far distance. The aircraft is E8836, an AK8 of the RAF Meteorological Flight, piloted by Capt C K M Douglas.

Brian

Fig 4 E88834 over Berck Aerodrome.jpg

Edited by Lyffe