Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Death Plaque

BillyH

Sorry to bring this one up, but I can't find an answer to my questions on this forum, or elsewhere.

1.) I have a soldier who was discharged with diabetes during the war, with a years service, but without having served abroad (and so not qualified for any standard medals), and he ulimately died of diabetes in 1920 - would he have got the Death Plaque?

2.) I also have a soldier who had been training in Caterham for just a few weeks in 1918 and got flu, dying of heart failure 5 days later (no medals of course), but buried at home with a CWGC headstone, would he have got one?

Thanks in advance for a definitive answer (hopefully!)

BillyH

• 2 months later...

Good afternoon, just freshening this up to see if any more help is forthcoming - - -

Thanks for your link Tom, but it doesn't really clarify my 2 examples in the original post.

Can anyone add anything to the original questions?

Regards, BillyH

Good afternoon, just freshening this up to see if any more help is forthcoming - - -

Thanks for your link Tom, but it doesn't really clarify my 2 examples in the original post.

Regards, BillyH

The memorial plaques and scrolls were issued to commemorate those who fell between the 4th August 1914 and the 10th January 1920 for Home Establishments, Western Europe and the Dominions whilst the final cut-off date was extended to the 30th April 1920 for other theatres of war or where deaths were attributable causes of the War. Some sources state that this was further extended to seven years after the end of the War for those who died from wounds. The plaques were also sent to the next of kin of men and women who had died from sickness, accident or suicide although not extended to those that were executed following Court Martial sentence. There was also a defined precedent as to whom the plaque would be issued to. As to the note that "Some sources state that this was further extended to seven years after the end of the War for those who died from wounds" I am aware of memorial plaques issued after 1920 and in particular (and strangly) a female plaque issued to the next of kin of Beatrice Hermione Vidall who died on the 15th September 1923 in Canada, (I think). She had seen service in France. I cannot believe that she died from wounds unless of the mind. She died of a wasting disease.

Regards, BillyH

Hi Billy,

Although it is impossible to be 100% certain, it would seem that certainly the second man would have received, or should I say his next of kin, would have received the Memorial Plaque and Memorial Scroll.

I am fairly sure that the first man would also have qualified, but I'm afraid there is a little doubt with this one. Although if he was discharged with Diabetes and subsequently died from same it would seem that there would be a good chance?

Have you tried to see if there are any service papers available? as these may show if a Memorial Plaque was issued to his NOK.

I doubt very much if there is a definitve answer with the first man, because rules are always open to some interpretation.

Hope this helps?

Robert

Robert & Jim,

I suspected that there wouldn't be a definitive answer, but I am very happy with your thoughts on it.

Thanks for your comments, BillyH.

Robert & Jim,

I suspected that there wouldn't be a definitive answer, but I am very happy with your thoughts on it.

Thanks for your comments, BillyH.

I think that I can be definitive. Your first example was not a serving soldier at the time he died and neither was the diabetes caused due to his war service so his next of kin wouldn't have been issued with one. The second example shows a soldier who was serving at the time of his death and would have had a memorial plaque issued.