Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'The Camp in the Oatfield: Bourbourg 1915'

Jennyford

Apologies if this has already been posted, but I just came across this http://www.millicentsutherlandambulance.com/, which is primarily to advertise an exhibition in London of oils by Victor Tardieu, depicting the short-lived tented hospital run by the Duchess of Sutherland for 3 months in 1915. The paintings are lovely (for sale!), and there is quite a bit of information on the website.

Jennian

• 7 months later...

I happened to return to this site yesterday and found that Abbott and Holder had added some photographs of the Bourboug hospital, from the family of a surgeon who had worked there: http://www.millicentsutherlandambulance.com/?page_id=479. It is possible to get the album pages to fill the screen, with careful clicking.

Jennian

They are certainly a unique series of photos and wonderful to see them online. Together with the paintings they show the unit as surprisingly well fitted out, but presumably much of the equipment had been taken with them from the earlier hospital at the Hotel Belle Vue. I've recently transcribed various medal rolls, including the 1914 Star roll which includes the Millicent Sutherland Ambulance, and I'm sure that the majority of the staff were the same once they'd moved to Bourbourg - certainly Dr. Morgan was with them from the beginning. I'll post a list of the names later.

Sue

These are the names included on the 1914 Star medal roll for the Millicent Sutherland Ambulance - some are known to have stayed with the hospital right through the war - later it became No.9 British Red Cross Hospital, Calais. I rather like the fact that Lady Rosabelle Bingham was only an Assistant Ward Maid - how are the mighty fallen :)

Oswald Morgan, Medical Officer

The Rev. W. H. N. Secker, Quartermaster and Chaplain

Millicent, Duchess of Sutherland, Organiser and Directrice

Martha Whent, Matron

Florence Ford, Nursing Sister

Rosemary Leveson-Gower, V.A.D. [daughter of the Duchess of Sutherland]

The Hon. Mrs. P. Wyndham, V.A.D.

Harry Bristowe, Ambulance Driver

William McCloskey, Ambulance Driver

D. Morgan, Ambulance Driver

A. Ruscoe, Ambulance Driver

Mary Vizard, Nursing Sister