Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal Ribbon

EDWARD1

Looks later with Collar Dog being worn,..Africa Star..?? :thumbsup:

Not in that jacket. I'm going to be left field and suggest that I think the central stripe is too narrow for a DCM and that it is in fact a British War Medal. And that the picture was taken in the period after wear of the ribbon was authorised (in early 1919) and before the Allied Victory Medal was instituted. A mixture of the light and the type of film have bleached out the edge stripes.

(Very) Wild card - Military Cross to a warrant officer? Any sign of rank badges? The watch chain bar in the breast pocket buttonhole might indicate a soldier of some position - hardly usual

Ian

Even more off the wall:

Y&L WO II MC, before 1919 when BWM and VM ribbons issued, he did not go over until 1916.

[evidence: we know some Y&L wore collar dogs [see thread] and the more senior you were, the more likely to get away with it. No 1914 or 14-15 ribbon. All WO could be considered for MC or MM [again, a thread here]. Very short period between BWM and Victory medals, so unlikely BWM]

I rest my shaky case.

Any advance?

Can we see the whole shot, please?

Here is the the full photo.

It is from a friends album which has his father posing with other WW1 soldiers and about 8 other postcard/photos of soldiers from the Yorks & Lancs and Northumberland Fusiliers, none of which he can identify. Plus a few silk pocket postcards.

post-74029-0-92994800-1328965488.jpg

DCM? it must be a very silky, shiny ribbon to cause that effect. You can see faint lines down the edges, BWM.

Temperance Medal. It's pinned on rather than stitched, and in wrong place for a single ribbon. Quote

"Temperance organizations typically issued medals or badges to their members to mark a given number of years of <br soft="">good standing with the organization. These medals were not officially approved by the British Crown for wear on <br soft="">uniforms but it is not uncommon to see them appear unofficially in photographs such as this one. They would have <br soft="">been removed after the photographic session. Often ignored my present day medal collectors these medals none <br soft="">the less offer an insight into the lives of the soldiers who often proudly wore them.

Look at first ribbon in this link.

http://www.stewartbo...rance_Medal.htm

And of course his regiment recruited in the heartland of the Temperance Movement, Band of Hope founded in Leeds.

No way he's a WO

Sam

Agreed - unlikely (though, like policemen, they seem to look younger these days), now we have seen the full photograph but I thought it was a suggestion worth making (and still think so on the basis of the evidence then available).

Pre-war Regular Army? India General Service Medal 1908? The 1st Bn Northumberland Fusliers (see #8) were there but not the Y&L . However, if that's a WW1 photo, he doesn't look quite old enough to have put on six years or so since service on the North West Frontier.

Edited by Ian Riley

I am afraid that I don't know anything about temperance medals but I think that I have seen other (authorised) ribbons being worn to justify with the inner seam of the breast pocket. rather than in the centre

Ian