Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Navy hat band

JaySea

I have just found my Dad's RN hat band from about 93 years ago - I was getting a couplle of medals ready for framing. The initials stand for RN Torpedo Boat Destroyer apparently. Would it not be covered up by the band showing his ship though (which I don't have)?

IIRC cap tallies did not show the name of the ship during wartime. I stand to be corrected, of course.

IIRC cap tallies did not show the name of the ship during wartime. I stand to be corrected, of course.

This was definitley the case in WW2. I know nothing of RN WW1 stuff to be sure though.

I have just found my Dad's RN hat band from about 93 years ago - I was getting a couplle of medals ready for framing. The initials stand for RN Torpedo Boat Destroyer apparently. Would it not be covered up by the band showing his ship though (which I don't have)?

JaySea,

I was able to find some information on your Dad's type of ship, the RN Torpedo Boat Destroyer, and some photographs. You never know, one could have been your Dad's old ship!

Sorry, I could not help with the cap band, I am sure some other member will know the answer.

Regards,

LF

" The invention of the self-propelled torpedo appeared to create the prospect of small vessels attacking and sinking larger more powerful battleships.

Throughout the navies of the world, some naval strategists believed that an age where the armoured battleship had become obsolete had begun....

So began Naval campaigns which attempted to re-address the balance of firepower with vessel. Some of the new measures included 'Torpedo Boat Catchers' which were armed with new quick-firing guns, which were deisgned to destroy the new torpedo' before it reached its target. As these designs flourished, Naval designers began to design ways in which these new 'catchers' could become hunters as well.

Although the Royal Navy called these vessels TBDs or Torpedo Boat Destroyers up until 1919, the term 'destroyer' was common place amongst the navy and was eventually adopted.

The Royal Navy specified that the vessels had to be fast, agile and be able to remain at sea for long periods. The maximum speed was to be 27 knots when armed with one bow torpedo and a range of smaller armaments. The crew had to number 40 officers and men and there had to be storage for 40 tons of coal.

Two prototypes were ordered from each contarctor, Yarrow and Thorneycroft.

In terms of armour and weight, the vessels adopted a 'stressed-skin' design whereby the framework would be light and thin steel plates would be riveted onto the frame. The vessels were totally unarmoured apart from the conning tower whihc was so lightly armoured, it would only keep out small arms fire!

The civilian contractor, Yarrow, built HMS Havelock and HMS Hornet, which were laid down in 1892 and completed the following year at a cost of £36,000 each. The other civilain contractor, Thorneycroft, laid down HMS Daring and HMS Decoy.

All these prototypes were accepted by the Royal Navy and showed the world that although new, this new type of vessel was practical and extremely potent of a new age of Naval Warfare.

In particular, it is of great credit to Yarrow and Thorneycroft that some of the first 'destroyers' produced were still in active service by 1918. "

HMS Havelock ( note bow torpedo tube )

post-63666-0-61589100-1328310878.jpg

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

Does the cap ribbon not read H.M.T.B.D.?

David.

Hi David, I made a mistake, it is actually H.M.T.B.D., thanks. And someone else said that during wartime the hat band did not show the ship name.

I have a snap of Dad in uniform showing HMS Vancouver on his cap. Later the Canadian Navy claimed that name so the RN gave it up, then used HMS Vimy for the same ship

John.

Welcome to the Forum.

Does the cap ribbon not read H.M.T.B.D.?

David.

LF

Hi, And thanks for all the great info and pictures. Those HMTBDs do not look much like today's destroyers do they. Dad's ship was HMS Vancouver whose name was changed later to HMS Vimy because the Canadian Navy naturally claimed the name Vancouver. Possibly these V class destroyers were developed and put into service after the ones in your pictures.

Someone said that they did not use the hat band with the ship's name during war time.

Dad was a Yeoman Signaller, serving 1917 to 1919.

John

JaySea,

I was able to find some information on your Dad's type of ship, the RN Torpedo Boat Destroyer, and some photographs. You never know, one could have been your Dad's old ship!

Sorry, I could not help with the cap band, I am sure some other member will know the answer.

Regards,

LF

" The invention of the self-propelled torpedo appeared to create the prospect of small vessels attacking and sinking larger more powerful battleships.

Throughout the navies of the world, some naval strategists believed that an age where the armoured battleship had become obsolete had begun....

So began Naval campaigns which attempted to re-address the balance of firepower with vessel. Some of the new measures included 'Torpedo Boat Catchers' which were armed with new quick-firing guns, which were deisgned to destroy the new torpedo' before it reached its target. As these designs flourished, Naval designers began to design ways in which these new 'catchers' could become hunters as well.

Although the Royal Navy called these vessels TBDs or Torpedo Boat Destroyers up until 1919, the term 'destroyer' was common place amongst the navy and was eventually adopted.

The Royal Navy specified that the vessels had to be fast, agile and be able to remain at sea for long periods. The maximum speed was to be 27 knots when armed with one bow torpedo and a range of smaller armaments. The crew had to number 40 officers and men and there had to be storage for 40 tons of coal.

Two prototypes were ordered from each contarctor, Yarrow and Thorneycroft.

In terms of armour and weight, the vessels adopted a 'stressed-skin' design whereby the framework would be light and thin steel plates would be riveted onto the frame. The vessels were totally unarmoured apart from the conning tower whihc was so lightly armoured, it would only keep out small arms fire!

The civilian contractor, Yarrow, built HMS Havelock and HMS Hornet, which were laid down in 1892 and completed the following year at a cost of £36,000 each. The other civilain contractor, Thorneycroft, laid down HMS Daring and HMS Decoy.

All these prototypes were accepted by the Royal Navy and showed the world that although new, this new type of vessel was practical and extremely potent of a new age of Naval Warfare.

In particular, it is of great credit to Yarrow and Thorneycroft that some of the first 'destroyers' produced were still in active service by 1918. "

HMS Havelock ( note bow torpedo tube )

HMS Vancouver 28th December 1917 She was renamed Vimy in April 1928 and eventually sold for scrap in March 1947.

HMS Vanessa 16th March 1918 Sold for scrap in March 1947.

HMS Vanity 3rd May 1918 Sold for scrap in March 1947.

HMS Vanquisher 18th August 1917 Completed as a minelayer. Sold for scrap in March 1947.

HMS Vanoc (H33) 14th June 1916 Completed as a minelayer. Sold for scrap in July 1945.

HMS Vega 1st September 1917 Broken up for scrap in 1948 at Dunston.

HMS Velox 17th November 1917 Converted to a minelayer. Sold for scrap in February 1947.

HMS Vehement 6th July 1917 Completed as a minelayer. Mined and sunk on 1st August 1918.

HMS Venturous 21st September 1917 Completed as a minelayer. Sold for scrap in 1936 as part exchange for RMS Majestic.

HMS Vendetta 3rd September 1917 Transferred to Australia in October 1933, she was scuttled on 2nd July 1948.

HMS Venetia 29th October 1917 Mined and sunk on 19th October 1940.

HMS Verdun 21st August 1917 Sold for scrap in 1946.

HMS Versatile 31st October 1917 Converted to a minelayer. Sold for scrap in August 1948.

HMS Verulam 3rd October 1917 Mined and sunk on 4th September 1919.

HMS Vesper 15th December 1917 Decommissioned 29th May 1945. Sold for scrap.

HMS Vidette 28th February 1917 Sold for scrap in March 1947.

HMS Violent 1st September 1917 Sold for scrap in 1937 as part exchange for RMS Majestic.

HMS Vimiera 22nd June 1917 Converted to a minelayer. Mined and sunk on 9th January 1942.

HMS Vittoria 29th October 1917 Converted to a minelayer. Torpedoed and sunk on 1st September 1919 by the Bolshevik Pantera.

HMS Vivacious 3rd November 1917 Sold for scrap in March 1947.

HMS Vivien 16th February 1918 Sold for scrap in February 1947.

HMS Vortigern 15th October 1917 Converted to a minelayer. Torpedoed and sunk on 15th March 1942.

HMS Vectis 4th September 1917 Sold for scrap in 1936 as part exchange for RMS Majestic..

HMS Viceroy 17th November 1917 Sold for scrap in June 1948.

HMS Viscount 29th December 1917 Sold for scrap in March 1945, eventually broken in 1947.

Hello Squirrel

Is that a list of pictures, leading off with HMS Vancouver? That was my Dad's ship in 1917-1919.

I would love to download a picture if it is possible. I have just joined the Forum and don't know how to use it really

JaySea

HMS Vancouver 28th December 1917 She was renamed Vimy in April 1928 and eventually sold for scrap in March 1947.

HMS Vanessa 16th March 1918 Sold for scrap in March 1947.

HMS Vanity 3rd May 1918 Sold for scrap in March 1947.

HMS Vanquisher 18th August 1917 Completed as a minelayer. Sold for scrap in March 1947.

HMS Vanoc (H33) 14th June 1916 Completed as a minelayer. Sold for scrap in July 1945.

HMS Vega 1st September 1917 Broken up for scrap in 1948 at Dunston.

HMS Velox 17th November 1917 Converted to a minelayer. Sold for scrap in February 1947.

HMS Vehement 6th July 1917 Completed as a minelayer. Mined and sunk on 1st August 1918.

HMS Venturous 21st September 1917 Completed as a minelayer. Sold for scrap in 1936 as part exchange for RMS Majestic.

HMS Vendetta 3rd September 1917 Transferred to Australia in October 1933, she was scuttled on 2nd July 1948.

HMS Venetia 29th October 1917 Mined and sunk on 19th October 1940.

HMS Verdun 21st August 1917 Sold for scrap in 1946.

HMS Versatile 31st October 1917 Converted to a minelayer. Sold for scrap in August 1948.

HMS Verulam 3rd October 1917 Mined and sunk on 4th September 1919.

HMS Vesper 15th December 1917 Decommissioned 29th May 1945. Sold for scrap.

HMS Vidette 28th February 1917 Sold for scrap in March 1947.

HMS Violent 1st September 1917 Sold for scrap in 1937 as part exchange for RMS Majestic.

HMS Vimiera 22nd June 1917 Converted to a minelayer. Mined and sunk on 9th January 1942.

HMS Vittoria 29th October 1917 Converted to a minelayer. Torpedoed and sunk on 1st September 1919 by the Bolshevik Pantera.

HMS Vivacious 3rd November 1917 Sold for scrap in March 1947.

HMS Vivien 16th February 1918 Sold for scrap in February 1947.

HMS Vortigern 15th October 1917 Converted to a minelayer. Torpedoed and sunk on 15th March 1942.

HMS Vectis 4th September 1917 Sold for scrap in 1936 as part exchange for RMS Majestic..

HMS Viceroy 17th November 1917 Sold for scrap in June 1948.

HMS Viscount 29th December 1917 Sold for scrap in March 1945, eventually broken in 1947.

Fantastic LF, thanks so much

John

JaySea,

Here is a photograph of your Dad's ship HMS Vancouver.

Regards,

LF

JaySea,

I was able to find some more photographs of your Dad's ship after the name change from Vancouver to Vimy, and also a somewhat sad photo of HMS Vimy at the Breaker's Yard in 1948.

Top photo - HMS Vimy ( Ex HMS Vancouver ) at sea.

Middle photo - HMS Vimy in the Breaker's Yard 1948.

Bottom photo - HMS Vimy at sea

Anyway, welcome to the Forum. You will soon learn the system for sending your own photographs etc., and there are plenty of members willing to help.

Enjoy posting!

Regards,

Leo

post-63666-0-04815300-1328417597.jpg

post-63666-0-79558100-1328417611.jpg

post-63666-0-29064200-1328417633.jpg

Hello Leo

Thanks again, the pictures will go in a book I am creating (genealogy). Attached is a photo of Dad with the "peacetime" hat-band.

I wonder if there is any digital record of ships' logs? Dad spoke of a collision he experienced on HMS Vancouver. As Yeoman Signaller he was anxiously reading signals from another ship and quickly passing them on to his Captain. Unfortunately there were two stubborn Captains involved who each thought he had rght of way!

I guess it was not a serious collision after all.

John

post-87505-0-03514100-1328546465.jpg

John,

Many thanks for posting the photograph of your Dad, it must be very rewarding putting together his service history.

There are Forum members with excellent knowledge and resources, who may be able to give you the facts regarding that collision, which is most probably in the logs of both ships. Hopefully, you will hear from that/those members.

Regards,

Leo

On the logs: so far as I know no ships' logs have been digitised or transcribed by The National Archives; it's a staff- and time-intensive process which requires a huge capital outlay. I'd be happy to be proven wrong but I don't think it's very likely.

http://www.oldweather.org/ is fuelled by the efforts of volunteers - but HMS Vancouver isn't one of the ships listed, I'm afraid.