Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Woodburn Camp Nr Hexham

tn.drummond

Trying to find some pointers to Woodburn Camp near Hexham.

I believe it may have been an R.A base with a Railway line servicing it (possibly RE/ROD but could equally have been a local line).

Had no joy with the Google and have run out of sources of inspiration elsewhere.

Any help gratefully received.

Regards

Suddery

I think that you will find that it was further north than Hexham, nearer to Redesdale and Otterburn

The RA certainly used West Woodburn Station c.1914 when arriving with horses and guns for the training grounds at Upper Redesdale

edit to add: "The station was well equipped with cranes, loading docks and sidings, having been used in ferrying stone from the local quarries. It was thus an ideal disembarkation point for the Army en route to the Redesdale training area. The station was used by the Army as its main supply point from 1911 to 1947 and on a less frequent basis up to the closure of the line in the 1960s." [from 'Images of England - Bellingham, North Tynedale and Redesdale' by Ian Roberts and Moira West]

Edited by michaeldr

Many thanks both.

michaeldr: Just the information I needed. I've a photo which I've failed to upload (it's stretched across a broad vista and the detail is distant) but what I can make of it does tally with the Roberts/West description. It seems to have been used to commission horses for the RA as well as a camp venue for R.A Territorials. Looks like pitched tents as opposed to huts were employed so I doubt any preset day vestiges remain. Will scurry for my atlas and then grab an O.S map.

The name Colonel Mille crops up in connection with this.

Again

Many thanks

Suddery

Suddery,

There were several camps on the moors of this part of Northumberland from the end of the 19thC.

The previously mentioned book has a 1918 photograph of an artillery camp at Hareshaw Common, Bellingham, which must look very similar to the one you have described above: open moors and hills with guns and tents in the middle distance.

In the same neck of the woods was where Lord Armstrong tested his guns: The Steel and Broomhope

When tanks came in, they too used to train in this area (edit to add that today's tanks are too heavy for this ground, otherwise training continues even today at Otterburn see http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/MicroSite/DIO/WhatWeDo/DTE/OtterburnTrainingArea.htm)

regards

Michael

Edited by michaeldr

Suddery,

There were several camps on the moors of this part of Northumberland from the end of the 19thC.

The previously mentioned book has a 1918 photograph of an artillery camp at Hareshaw Common, Bellingham, which must look very similar to the one you have described above: open moors and hills with guns and tents in the middle distance.

In the same neck of the woods was where Lord Armstrong tested his guns: The Steel and Broomhope

When tanks came in, they too used to train in this area (edit to add that today's tanks are too heavy for this ground, otherwise training continues even today at Otterburn see http://www.mod.uk/De...rainingArea.htm)

regards

Michael

Hi Michael,

I've actually four pictures in a series (all by a Hexham photographer), two of which are named as 'Woodburn' , one of an unnamed camp view and the final the broad shot I mentioned above. I'm pretty confident from the quote in your initial posting that the West Woodburn Station mentioned is either that I have attached a crop of here (Titled "...at Woodburn" ) or served on the same line or branch of same. The stone lifting hoist featured tends to support this. I've yet to compare my image with a map. I agree that the unidentified images I have not posted could be anywhere on the moors. I found your additional link very interesting so many thanks for that. i again tried to upload the others but the images just do not lend themselves to the 100k limit.

Again many thanks.

Suddery

post-53823-0-81158300-1328199714.jpg

Just found this link to a photo / map and Google earth sat' view of Woodham Station as was in 2005. Not yet sure if I'm any the wiser but will post if I reach a conclusion. No brick building appears in any of my shots but that said could be on the other side of the track.

S

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/91983k

S,

This is part of the photograph in the book which I mentioned earlier

The crane certainly seems to match with that in yours

WestWoodburnStationc1914-1918.jpg

You will also notice that the photographer uses the name 'Woodburn' instead of West Woodburn: I have no idea when the latter became the accepted form

Regarding this part of Northumberland, you may also be interested in this link http://www.bishopaucklandtownhall.org.uk/durhamcc/K2P.nsf/K2PDetail?readform&PRN=N374

best regards

Michael

To the north west of West Woodburn is the Corsenside Artillery range. This is an outer gun area for the Otterburn / Redesdale ranges and can be seen on modern maps. I have fired from their many times. It may be there was a camp was in that area.

post-46676-0-44824100-1328216826.jpg

Ian,

Thanks for the map

For anyone visiting the area, then I am very happy to recommend the food and ale at the Bay Horse, West Woodburn

I've eaten and drank there several time. I've not yet stayed there, however their rooms look very comfortable on the web-site

regards

Michael

Thanks to both for map, picture and some very interesting links.

I've 'Google Earthed' myself to a standstill but it would seem that the station was on a T junction opposite and to the left of where a War Memorial now stands. I can find the 'Bay Horse' and 'Gun' pubs (thanks for the recommendation Michael...if only!) but either the Railway Station has now gone or else it has evaded the Google satellite. Three of my photo's can be ascribed to the immediate vicinity of the T junction and so I'm very happy with the identification; the 'Arrival at Woodburn' photo is pretty much a clincher on a number of fronts although one of the images seems to have been reversed.

I'm left with two ponders. Firstly, I can't make out the old railway line from the 'Sat' or map clip so I'm going to get an OS of the area as my interest has been fired.Secondly, please let's hope that the old station has not been demolished.

Best regards

Suddery

The station was always known as Woddburn as it served the two villages West & East Woodburn (West Woodburn being much the bigger). The station closed in 1952 and the line lifted in the late 60s. Looking at a birds eye map of the station area there has been a lot of new building in that area and sadly I suspect that most of the station has been redeveloped. The whole Border Counties and Northunberland Central Railways have quite a lot of military connection, e.g the Vickers ranges near Hexham with their railway served sidings. The next station east from Woodburn, Knowesgate, had a siding known locally as the Military Siding as it was used by troop trains etc.

Nigel

Thanks Nigel.

I'm most grateful for the information about development. For most old railway lines I can normal pick up quite a lot from aerial photos, hedge lines, farm tracks etc but am at a loss with this station. Could frankly be at least three sites. What I think happened is that the Wansbeck Valley railway followed the B6524 approach to W.Woodburn until just south of the village where it then followed the eastern side of A68, north into W.Woodburn before crossing the road and heading West (at some point) towards Redesmouth. I'm trying to get this correct so that I can orient the other photos.

Thanks to all - I think this is still on subject...just.

Tim (Suddery)

Here are two crops is from the OS Pathfinder 522 (NY 88/98) © Crown copyright 1987

MapWestWoodburn-1.jpg

My guess, based on another photograph of the station, suggests that it was situated in the bottom right hand corner of the square which contains the words 'West Woodburn'

MapWestWoodburnStation-1.jpg

I'll try and get some 'local' thoughts on this over the next 48 hrs

The Border Counties line intersected with the Wansbeck (the Wanney) Line at Redesmouth Junction in 1865. The Wanney line ran from Morpeth. Knowesgate, which was mentioned by Nigel, is c.9 kms to the east, as the crow flies (should that be flys? :blush:)

regards

Michael

Edited by michaeldr

I agree.

South of River, south of crossroads (Bay Horse) then just north of Gun Inn on T Junction. From Google Earth seems to be the site of a football pitch / recreation ground. The T junction's important as this ties in with the other Woodburn photo.

Nothing like a map and local knowledge to no doubt turn it on it's head.

Many thanks, I await the locals (sounds like League of Gentlemen)

Regards

Tim

Sorry, please pm me if you want me to email you copies of the photos - rude of me not to offer...

oh, and always 'flies' in my book.

This looks like a troop train with guns on flat trucks.

post-46676-0-14113400-1328291825.jpg

From an old OS map.

post-46676-0-16498600-1328293001.jpg

Not the best map. I believe this would have been circa 1918.

post-46676-0-91449900-1328293997.jpg

Thank you Ian.

The maps certainly confirm our findings thus far but also explain - and this to me is pivotal - adjacent lines; albeit one to the buffers.

What is also interesting is that the line shoots off South West rather than North west, which is what I had supposed.

Regards

Tim (Suddery)

The photographs seen in posts #8 & #16 are the same

except that Ian's version in #16 is lighter/better/clearer

and the one which I have shown a crop of in #8 extends further to the left

and has the full text 'Arrival at Woodburn Station for Redesdale Camp'

The map given by Ian in post #18 is spot-on with the other photograph which I referred to in post #14. It has Alma House in the background. Alma House was “the former residence of William Pigg who operated Parkhead Quarry...”

Tim,

The line is indeed heading South-southwest towards Redesmouth Junction and the link with the Border Counties line mentioned earlier. The Border Counties line then continued west through Bellingham (seen on this map's left margin) on up the North Tyne Valley eventually linking with a Scottish route

MapRedesmouthJunction-1.jpg

What is also interesting is that the line shoots off South West rather than North west, which is what I had supposed.

Tim,

The direction of the rail line was dictated by the lie of the land. The trunk road goes north and crosses the Cheviot Hills into Scotland at Carter Bar. This is at about 420m above sea-level, and after some lovely hairpin bends. The railway would never have made it over such terrain.

If you wanted to go north to Scotland by rail from Woodburn, then you had to get to Redesmouth Junction and then join the Border Counties Line.

The Border Counties rail line crossed the Cheviot watershed at the appropriately named 'Deadwater' which is only half the altitude of Carter Bar. From there it joined the Scottish rail system at Riccarton Junction.

The 42 miles of Border Counties line from Hexham to Riccarton were opened in 1858 and closed in 1956; allegedly it never ever paid its way.

Yours truly was on the last train along the Wanney line; an excursion organised by one of the Newcastle newspapers in the early 1960s.

Some of this topic was covered a few years ago here on the GWF, and as I remember it was pointed out then that 'The Gun' pub was named after large ordnance which Armstrong brought to the area to test fire.

Regards

Michael

Are the things that hang from the roof of that pub something to do with that artillery piece?

Mick

Are the things that hang from the roof of that pub something to do with that artillery piece?

Mick

Mick,

I'm very sorry but I cannot answer that; as I have already indicated, my preferred watering hole is the Bay Horse at West Woodburn, and I do not know The Gun well enough to comment

regards

Michael