Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1914 Star - rare? valuable?

DCLI

Are 1914 Stars very rare? What does the bar signify? Can you have the medal without the bar? Any idea of current prices?

regards

Anthony

Anthony

There were around 400,000 1914 or ‘Mons’ Stars issued, most going to members of the pre-war Army – the Old Contemptibles.

To qualify, the recipient had to have served in France or Belgium between 5 August 1914 and 22 November 1914. The clasp was awarded to those who were actually under fire during the qualifying period – so you can have the medal without the clasp.

The Medal Yearbook 2004 gives a value of £45 - £65 for a Star and £75 - £100 for a Star and clasp. For a Star (no clasp) with the British War Medal and the Victory Medal, prices start from £65.

In practice prices for a 1914 trio are significantly higher – on the eBay or Speedbid auction sites they often go for several hundred pounds depending on the unit and the recipient.

Regards

Mark

Mark

Many Thanks

Anthony

The clasp was awarded to those who were actually under fire during the qualifying period – so you can have the medal without the clasp.

"Under Fire" is the commonly used phrase but [from memory] the official wording was "within range of enemy mobile artillery". Can look it up if needs be. The point is, you got the medal for being in danger, not necessarily for being shot at.

5th Aug - 22nd Nov 1914 Clasp Awarded to :-

All officers, warrant officers, non-commissioned officers and men who actually served under fire or were present on duty within the range of the enemy's mobile artillery in France and Belgium between 5th August 1914 and midnight 22/23rd November 1914 and were on the strength of, or attached to the units and formations listed below :-

There then follows a very long list of Cavalry, Yeomanry, Artillery , Engineers, Infantry, Medical Units etc.

Steve

Would agree with Brigantin the Mons Star is more valuable with the trio, and I have noticed that the prices have risen significantly in the last 18 months.

John

The Official letter enclosed with my Uncle's "Star" reads:

Record Office,

No 2 Dist Hamilton

24th Feby 1920

"Sir,

I am directed to transmit to you the accompanying "1914 Star" which would have been conferred upon No 20 Cpl G Souness, Royal Scots had he lived.It is sent to you in memory of his services with the British Expeditionary Forces employed in France and Belgium between the outbreak of war and midnight,22/23rd November,1914.

In forwarding this decoration I am commanded by the King to assure you of His Majesty's high appreciation of the services rendered.

I am to request that you will be so good as to acknowledge the receipt of this decoration I on the attached form,which is to be returned to the above address.

I am,

Your obedient Servant"

The Medal Yearbook 2004 gives a value of £45 - £65 for a Star and £75 - £100 for a Star and clasp. For a Star (no clasp) with the British War Medal and the Victory Medal, prices start from £65.

In practice prices for a 1914 trio are significantly higher – on the eBay or Speedbid auction sites they often go for several hundred pounds depending on the unit and the recipient.

...but they can also be encountered for a lot less (as mentioned, depending on the recipient and his unit) if demand is low on the auction site. (I've purchased several casualty 14 stars for less than £55 each over the past couple of years).

Dave.