Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

First British Soldier Killed

BPJermyn

I'm sure that this has been discussed in a previous post/ forum however I cannot find it - who is considered the first British casualty of WW1?

This came to mind as on the new CWGC website you can export your results . i.e All United Kingdom soldiers killed between 1/7/1914 - 12/12/1918

The first British o/r was Pte John Parr

Service No:L/14196

Date of Death:21/08/1914

Regiment/Service:Middlesex Regiment

4th Bn.

Grave ReferenceI. A. 10.

CemeteryST. SYMPHORIEN MILITARY CEMETERY

Additional Information:

Son of Edward Thomas and Alice Rosina Parr of 52 Lodge Lane, North Finchley. Believed to be the first British battle casualty of the war.

but what is not so commonly known is the first officer

THOMPSON, GEORGE MASTERMAN

Date of Death:22/08/1914

Regiment/Service:Royal Scots

1st Bn. and Gold Coast Regiment, W.A.F.F.

Grave Reference

CemeteryWAHALA CEMETERY

Additional Information:

Croix de Guerre with Palms (France). Son of Col. George William Thompson, (Commanding Royal Scots), and Mrs G. W. Thompson, of Beechwood, Burley, Hants. The First British Officer killed in action in the war. A Special French Army Order was published on 20th October commending his gallantry and the fine example he gave to the French soldiers temporarily under his command.

He lies buried just nine yards...yes, nine....from the last British casualty, killed just before 11am on November 11th 1918.

Over 4 years, over 900,000 British, Empire and Commonwealth dead, yet separated by just nine yards.

St. Symphorien is a fascinating place to visit.

Bruce

Does anyone knwo the circumstances of the death of

BRADSHAW, Alfred A

Service No:15220

Date of Death:21/08/1914

Regiment/Service:Royal Fusiliers

4th Bn.

Grave ReferenceXVIII. D. 1-16.

CemeteryCEMENT HOUSE CEMETERY

He lies buried just nine yards...yes, nine....from the last British casualty, killed just before 11am on November 11th 1918.

Over 4 years, over 900,000 British, Empire and Commonwealth dead, yet separated by just nine yards.

Bruce

Some amount of suffering and loss in that nine yards.john

Ah, now then. The title of the thread refers to "soldier", yet the OP refers to casualty (presumably fatal casualty).

Assuming the latter was meant then it would be the crewmen of HMS Amphion which hit a mine on 6 August.

I raised a similar question on a soldier who was killed on 21 Aug 1914. He was "reconnoitring at around midnight" and was shot by a French piquet nearby.Bombardier Ketteridge at Montay.

Re t Bradshaw SDGW just records DIED, , but also in Cement House is one of first the British army officers, killed in action the following day, Captain J E Knowles, Middlesex Regiment.

Keith

Some amount of suffering and loss in that nine yards.john

That is something - poetic and someone symbolic.

Bruce

This cemetery is popularly believed to contain the graves of the first (Private John Parr) and the last soldier (Private George Price) to be killed during the 1914-18 War.

On 02/02/2012 at 05:05, sotonmate said:

I raised a similar question on a soldier who was killed on 21 Aug 1914. He was "reconnoitring at around midnight" and was shot by a French piquet nearby.Bombardier Ketteridge at Montay.

Bombadier Ketteridge was also discussed in this thread:

Anthony

And the first soldier to die on British soil during the bombardment of the Hartlepool's

Theophilus Jones

18/295, 18th Bn., Durham Light Infantry

who died on 16 December 1914 Age 29

Son of Mrs. L. Jones, of 44, Ashgrove Avenue, West Hartlepool. His brother Alfred also fell

Hartlepool (Stranton) Cemetery

regards Ray

As john Hartley said the first casualties occurred on 6th August 14 when HMs Amphion sank. To be pedantic, the casualties included obout 12 Royal Marines (all RMLI) these would have been the first "soldier" casualties of WW1.

On the theme, first Australian serviceman

WILLIAMS, WILLIAM G.V.

Service No:294

Date of Death:11/09/1914

Regiment/Service:Australian Naval and Military Expeditionary Force

R.A.N.

Grave ReferenceAA. B. 3.

CemeteryRABAUL (BITA PAKA) WAR CEMETERY

Additional Information:

W.G.V. Williams was the first recorded Australian casualty of the First World War.

• Admin

The casualties in Cement House must have been moved in because they are from the Mons area.

Michelle

That is certainly the case for captain Knowles who was initially buried at Maisieres Communal Cemetery Extension.

Keith

Ok, am i missing something here, found these WW1 service personal on new CWGC website, are one of these casualties not considered the first British casualty of WW1?

DAVIES, G Private CH.8671== 04/08/1914 Royal Marine Light Infantry United Kingdom Special Memorial, Row 1. ST. PANCRAS CEMETERY

VILES, JOSEPH Private 7297== 04/08/1914 Somerset Light Infantry United Kingdom O. B. 2. BATH (ST. JAMES'S) CEMETERY

WEST, S E Staff Serjeant 7376== 04/08/1914 7th Dragoon Guards (Princess Royal's) United Kingdom Face 1. KIRKEE 1914-1918 MEMORIAL

Walter

Ok, am i missing something here, found these WW1 service personal on new CWGC website, are one of these casualties not considered the first British casualty of WW1?

DAVIES, G Private CH.8671== 04/08/1914 Royal Marine Light Infantry United Kingdom Special Memorial, Row 1. ST. PANCRAS CEMETERY

VILES, JOSEPH Private 7297== 04/08/1914 Somerset Light Infantry United Kingdom O. B. 2. BATH (ST. JAMES'S) CEMETERY

WEST, S E Staff Serjeant 7376== 04/08/1914 7th Dragoon Guards (Princess Royal's) United Kingdom Face 1. KIRKEE 1914-1918 MEMORIAL

Walter

Walter

I should have added as a direct result of enemy action on my post (killed in action) (not simply died)

regards Ray

Thanks Ray, interesting post leads to a lot of other first casualties, i have in my file's Rifleman 19557 Samuel Hill, Royal Irish Rifles

22/10/1915 first Ulster Division to be KIA.

Walter

This cemetery is popularly believed to contain the graves of the first (Private John Parr) and the last soldier (Private George Price) to be killed during the 1914-18 War.

There's also Pt. G E Ellison at St Symphorien - possibly the last Englishman (as opposed to Canadian). The TV programme - mentioned elsewhere - went into fine detail as to the hours and minutes between the two.

post-37838-0-61154900-1328197093.jpg

post-37838-0-40512700-1328197105.jpg

post-37838-0-95741900-1328197113.jpg

As a matter of interest the CWGC now lists Price as the last Canadian soldier killed during WW1, I'm sure it used to state 'British' soldier.

Unknown to just about everyone is that there was at least one "British" casualty when Fort Loncin at Liège was blown up. It is some years since I was there, and I can't remember whether there was on or two men.

It may be possible to find the names. I seem to remember that one of them was born or lived at Gravesend. I presume the father was Belgian and therefore the son was liable for Belgian service.

He must have died on 2 or 3 August 1914.

Unknown to just about everyone is that there was at least one "British" casualty when Fort Loncin at Liège was blown up. It is some years since I was there, and I can't remember whether there was on or two men.

It may be possible to find the names. I seem to remember that one of them was born or lived at Gravesend. I presume the father was Belgian and therefore the son was liable for Belgian service.

He must have died on 2 or 3 August 1914.

Have I got it wrong? I didn't think Germany entered Belgium until August 4th and the attack on Liege took place on 5th August, the explosion above was on the 14/15th August.

Have I got it wrong? .

I'm sure you haven't as the first acknowledged Belgian Army deaths of WW1 took place on 4th and 5th August ( the very first being 318 Rtr. Antoine Ad Fonck, 2e Regiment de Lanciers who was killed at La Croix Polinard (Thiminster) on the morning of 4th August)

dave

(Incidentally though, there is a memorial to two infantrymen at Vise - Sdt. A van Gastel from Antwerp and Sdt. J.Maulus, both of the 12th Linie Regt - stating that they were the first Belgian soldiers to fall in action. However, van Gastel died on the 5th August and Maulus on the 6th... ... Wachtmeister Jean Pierre Thill and Wachtmeister August Bouko of the Rijkswacht te Voet were the first Belgians to die at Vise on 4th August anyway!)