Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Barathea stain removal, info req'd.

hadfield

Hi all,

I'm hoping somebody can advise me how to remove a grease stain (bacon fat, please don't ask!) from a WW1 British officers tunic that I have. I've tried the usual solutions like washing machine liquid and washing-up liquid applied directly on to the stain to no avail, These lightened the stain a little bit did not remove it, so I hope you can help!

Regs

B

Hi all,

I'm hoping somebody can advise me how to remove a grease stain (bacon fat, please don't ask!) from a WW1 British officers tunic that I have. I've tried the usual solutions like washing machine liquid and washing-up liquid applied directly on to the stain to no avail, These lightened the stain a little bit did not remove it, so I hope you can help!

Regs

B

The way I was taught and it always worked well for me is to get some old fashioned brown parcel paper and place the matte (non-shiny) side down on top of the stain and with a thin linen or cotton cloth on top of that iron over the top on a high heat setting, taking care not to go directly onto the barathea. The heat draws the grease into the brown paper which soaks it up. Repeat until the stain is gone, or at worst, much removed.

Hi Brimstone.

Another good one in lieu of of the good old brown paper is to use exactly the same process but with kitchen paper. I have even removed candle wax with this method.

Regards,

Keith

In ye oldene dayse of the Great War they suggested;-

Grease.jpg

The brown paper method certainly works for candle wax, use it all the time.