Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Confirm Uniform ID -- RGA private?

bcarleton

I've attached a picture of my grandfather in late 1918 (wedding picture) where he was apparently home on leave to tie the knot. I believe his 'rope' indicates Royal Artillery and his stripes are that of a private. The uniform appears to be very dark or perhaps black in color, like a dress uniform.

If any of you folks think I'm wrong about that -- please feel free to say so.

post-7535-0-54040800-1328063636.jpg

If the photo was taken in 1918 one stripe in the Royal Artillery would have been a Bombardier. There were no privates in the Royal Artillery during the Great War; only gunners and drivers. The white lanyard was worn by the artillery. Initially it was worn on the left shoulder and later on the right. There is some controversy as to when the change took place; some say just prior to the Great War, others 1922 or 1924. Dick Flory

Unfortunately the lanyard is no definitive proof; it could be a Gunner, but other units also wore white lanyards. I don't think the uniform is particularly dark, it is simply reflects the processing of the photograph. If you have his full name a check of the Medal Index Cards will reveal his unit or units if he went overseas.

Thanks much. I do have a de-mob document that says he was demobbed as a 'bombadier' and was previously a 'driver' for 152 Heavy Battery. So all this fits. Thanks again.