Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British Brodie battle insignia ? Experts?

bkristof

hi,

i bought a brodie.

I looked like a rimless, but i think the rim is "fallen" off.

But during cleaning it up i discovered on both sides some painting, a battle insignia?

is it British or US?

i added pics.

Help me experts! ;)

post-23-1091359711.jpg

the other side:

post-23-1091359734.jpg

the rivets, splitted, so British made...

post-23-1091359774.jpg

Factory:

D/A 121 or?? P/A 121

post-23-1091359826.jpg

the other rivet

post-23-1091359856.jpg

Dear Kristof

D/A would be a shell made by James Dixon & Sons from steel provided by Edgar Allen & Co. Ltd. There is no P/A in the British helmet shell/ steel marking scheme.

I would think it practically impossible to say whether the insignia is British or American, let alone which unit within either.

Rgds,

A colser study made me discover this:

it is a red circle with a black seem it looks like there is a black cross in the middle and that the red is not filling the whole circle.

It looks a bit like a swastika sign (the round version)

Kristoff, could the symbol be two black capital letter A's back-to-back on a red background? I'm not good on American emblems, but I believe the AA logo was for "All American" (someone here will correct me if I'm wrong).

Can that be??? reversed? it looks like it...

I have no idea why the colors would be reversed but US markings were unofficial and mostly done post-armistice. To be honest I can't make much out from the photos I was just going by your description.

Take care,

Neil

i did some computer painting, it shows what i can see on it.

post-23-1091478578.jpg

Not an expert on US Insignia by any stretch of the imagination, but was able to come up with three possible answers: Either the 35th (Santa Fe) Div., 7th (Hourglass) Div., or 89th (Midwest) Div.

post-23-1091558556.gif

Hi jdadj,

If you don't mind me asking, what's your connection to the 27th? Are you from New York?

take care,

Neil in Jersey

I live in NYC and grew up in NJ. I am currently a member of a reenacting group that portrays the 27th Div. 107th Inf. Reg.. I have no personal familial connection, but many of our group do and have a wealth of information. If you are interested I would suggest Oryansroughnecks.org. It is the home page of the reenacting group, but goes far beyond in terms of historical info.

Jon

Neil;

Don't know how familiar you are with the area, but on Knickerbocker Rd on the border of Tenafly, Bergenfield, Cresskill and Dumont there is a obelisk that represents the exact center of Camp Merritt, which was one of the major embarkation camps for the soldiers leaving in WWI. Just a litte tidbit.

Jon

Hi Jon,

I know it well, I've been working (on and off) in putting together a database of the Bergen County memorials (along with some other Jerseymen) and eventually getting down to Trenton to pull service records. North Jersey produced quite a few 27th men (mostly 106th if I recall). If I can ever help you out with anything just ask.

Take care,

Neil

Neil;

That is quite an ambitious project, good luck with it. I am sure you are familiar with the obelisk and statue of the doughboy at the traffic circle (roundabout for our UK pals) at Tenafly Rd. and Palisades Ave, but if you go up a little further on Pal. Ave there is a plaque that lists the names of the men from Englewood who served. As my interest in the Great War grows I am amazed to find how much history and historical references are in the area that I just never noticed. I will definitely use you, thanks for the offer.

Jon

Hi Jon,

I haven't gotten to Englewood yet as I've begun to branch (foolishly) into Hudson County with the addition of a number Jersey City men I found online.

Keep me posted if your reenactment group is doing anything locally.

Take Care,

Neil