Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cap Badge Identification please

anyawood

Hello

I have (hopefully!) attached 2 photographs. The man is my great grandfather Joseph Watson born 1891, Newcastle Upon Tyne. Can anyone help in identifying which WW1 regiment he may have served in from the cap badge/uniform. The images aren't fantastic I'm afraid.

I believe he lived all his life in the Newcastle area - not sure if this will have any significance on the regiment he would have served with?

Thanks for any help/advice

Anya

post-87323-0-15077400-1328029504.jpg

post-87323-0-71004100-1328029513.jpg

It looks like some form of "bursting bomb" badge (athough the flames look oddly lopsided/elongated)

That might narrow it a bit - ie perhaps a Fusiliers regiment? (but also Gren. Guards?)

Can anything be gleaned from a close up of his shoulder titles which appear partially visible?

Chris

I think it's definitely a Fusilier's badge.

Royal Munster or Northumberland Fusiliers appear to match best but, based on his location and by no means a positive identification, I'd plump for the latter.

Steve

He may have the flames of the bomb caught in the seam of the cap........otherwise I reckon NF's too.

Yes I think NF as the shape looks more like George and the Dragon on the ball of the grenade than a tiger and you can see the 'circlet' of the regimental title, which the RMF did not have.

post-599-0-15531500-1328040774.jpg

Thank you. Yes, I can see a resemblance. I think the cap badge in my photo is at a strange angle.

Thanks again

Newcastle was very much associated with the NF so it makes sense from that angle too Anya.

Hi Anya

Not being able to see the flame tidy or the markings, it could well be the Royal Fusiliers, The City of London Regiment.

Gerwyn

Hi Anya

Not being able to see the flame tidy or the marlings, it could well be the Royal Fusiliers, The City of London Regiment.

Gerwyn

No I don't think so Gerwyn, the ball of the grenade does not look anything like the rose that one would expect to see if it was Royal Fusiliers.

post-599-0-36479700-1328060477.jpg

No I don't think so Gerwyn, the ball of the grenade does not look anything like the rose that one would expect to see if it was Royal Fusiliers.

Well FROGSMILE. Its round in shape and that all you can make out from the photo.

Its round in shape and that all you can make out from the photo.

I agree that the ball's markings are none too clear, there may be a trace of the "circlet" visible around the left hand side although that could apply equally to either Northumberland or Royal Fusiliers badges. There is though more than enough of the flames evident to be able to discount the Royal Fusiliers as a possibility. I'll still stick with Northumberland Fusiliers as the best possibility.

Steve

I'm definately going with Northumberlands and downloading the photo showed him to be a Territorial. Being a Newcastle man and not being killed I'm going with two possible candidates;-

6/2386 Pte Joseph Watson, a Newcastle lad, who enlisted 9/9/14 and was discharged with wounds 6/7/18 aged 24yrs. He was also posted to another NF Battalion and renumbered 34606, but todate I have no further information.

The other survivor was 6/4407(Renumbered 235208) Pte Joseph Watson again from Newcastle. He too survived and was Disembodied, and was wounded 15/9/1916. He was also posted to other NF battalions serving with the 1/4th & 1/7th Bn's

Newcastle, especially Walker was also the home of the 5th Battalion, but my records show no Joseph Watson serving with that battalion todate.

Do you possibly know where he lived in Newcastle.

I agree that the ball's markings are none too clear, there may be a trace of the "circlet" visible around the left hand side although that could apply equally to either Northumberland or Royal Fusiliers badges. There is though more than enough of the flames evident to be able to discount the Royal Fusiliers as a possibility. I'll still stick with Northumberland Fusiliers as the best possibility.

Steve

Yes Steve, I agree that the flames are distinctive and lead us to either NF, RMF or RIF. The obvious circlet negates the latter two and I am familiar enough with the badges in all kinds of light and shadow (and in wear) to be able to say that the ball does not take the shape of a rose. The combination of all these factors tended to indicate NF so hence my comment to pioneer. It seems as if the majority of use have reached a similar conclusion by whatever means.

Hello

Thanks for all the replies.

The other info I have about Joe is as follows:

D.o.B. 02/03/1891 name on birth cert is Joseph William Mark Watson. Father - Thomas Watson.

In 1901 his address was Plummer street, Elswick

In 1911 his address was Carr Street, Elswick

He married on 12/09/1914 to Lizzie Smith. His address at the time of the marriage was 48 Scotswood Road, his occupation was a ships riveter. Don't know if any of that will help at all?

Can I ask what it is from the uniform that shows he was a territorial? I can see that the fact that his occupation at the time of marriage shows he wasn't in the regular army so helps to prove he was a territorial.

Can I also ask where could I find further information regarding the 2 names graham suggested above?

Thanks

Anya

According to the Newcastle-upon-Tyne Absent Voters List, the resident in 48 Scotswood Road in 1919 is Robert Lahiff, but he could be lodging there.

When I downloaded your photo I noticed the badges on his shoulder straps looked bigger than what I would have expected from normal, which ususally indicates a possible Territorial. Both the 5th & 6th NF were City battalions, although the 5th mainly recruited around Walker/Wallsend.

I'll check for other Joseph Watsons too, but todate I'm still reckoning on him being a Territorial.