Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

George Fraser Dobie Capt 15th Royal Scots

Lost in Tilloy

Hi

The Liberton Memorial in Edinburgh mentions a casualty “Dobie, G F, Capt RS.” I can’t find anyone on CWGC who matches this however the Watsonian War Record 1914-1918 mentions a George Fraser Dobie, Captain 15th Royal Scots who died of illness contracted on service on 05/12/1919. Having searched around a bit more this is what I’ve found out about him:

Dobie, George Fraser: Captain, 15th Royal Scots. Born around 1883 in Edinburgh. A son of William Fraser Dobie, House Painter, and Emma Dobie of St Katherine’s, Liberton. George was educated at George Watson’s College in Edinburgh [1891] and later worked in his father’s decorating business. His siblings were Emma, Charlotte, Dorothy and John. He was commissioned in 1914 as a 2nd Lieutenant serving in the 15th Royal Scots, being promoted Lieutenant in October 1915 and entering France as a theatre of war during January 1916 [according to his medal card]. He was promoted to Captain in July 1916 and according to the Watsonian ROH he was “invalided during the Battle of Somme in July 1916 and returned to the UK where he served at the HQ, Forth Garrison, supervising camouflage on coastal defences. In 1918 he was appointed Camouflage Officer, GHQ, Irish Command.” He died on 05/12/1919, aged 36, and although I haven’t seen the death certificate yet, the online search at “www.Scotlandspeople.gov.uk” confirmed he died in Liberton and is presumably buried in that region.

Can anyone else find him on CWGC before I list him as a possible non-com?

Regards

LIT

Thanks Phil.

I always like someone else to check too in order that I haven't overlooked something. Thanks for the link re his papers too.

Regards

LIT

• 9 years later...

The DC states that he died from nephritis and uraemia.

According to his record at TNA, he arrived back in England on 2/9/1916 due to "phlebitis in left leg". On 24/6/1917, a medical board gave his disability as "threatened intestinal obstruction" which was attributed to "o/m service conditions, fatigue causing faulty metabolism in a patient predisposed to oxaluria". He was gazetted out of the service on 14/1/1919.

He is buried at Liberton Cemetery, his headstone inscription reads: "In loving memory of John Bullen Pople DOBIE died 25th February 1973 aged 82 and of his wife Margaret Crawford HAY died 16th June 1951 aged 54. In loving memory of George Fraser DOBIE born 22nd January 1883 died at St Katharine's, Liberton 5th December 1919."

There is a photograph on FMP: https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=gbm%2flives%2f25811828&parentid=gbm%2flives%2f1651181