Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lapel and buttons

Nick Smith

Hi again this is the brother of the earlier post, Harry Gerrish, born ~1890 in or around Freshford (hamlet of Pipehouse) near Bath. The first photo is all we have so far in military uniform, the second couple are 'lifted' sections of his lapel and tunic buttons - the lapel badge is tantalisingly close to being readable but maybe, someone will recognise it enough to suggest a possible regiment, then I might be more likely to find his service record.

Cheers

Nick

The lapel badge and tunic buttons - not much to go on I know!

post-86482-0-82458700-1328016625.jpg

post-86482-0-68749400-1328016722.jpg

post-86482-0-19751500-1328016729.jpg

Buttons appear to be General Service and the ST might end in "RE" so yer takes yer chances on this one. Good luck, mate!

DrB :thumbsup:

He's a territorial, I'd say ("T" at the top of the title)

Thanks for that Steven, agree it looks like a T on the shoulder badge. Did the various regiments have their own Teiritorials (in other words, could he be a Territorial in the Wiltshire regiment) I can almost imagine I can see the word Wiltshire!

Could it be T Monmouthshire?

Thanks for that Steven, agree it looks like a T on the shoulder badge. Did the various regiments have their own Teiritorials (in other words, could he be a Territorial in the Wiltshire regiment) I can almost imagine I can see the word Wiltshire!

He could be a Wiltshire. Do you know if the man has any association with that county?

He could be a Wiltshire. Do you know if the man has any association with that county?

I'd say that the Wiltshire Regt could be a good bet - as he was from Bath.

Thanks everyone - I keep tinkering with the shoulder titles in photoshop trying to enhance it enough to get some info, but still not legible. I'm going to see if I can find info elsewhere based on Wiltshires first I think - if I can re-scan the original I might improve it maybe. Thanks

if his name is harry Gerrish then you have these to start with.

Medal card of Gerrish, Harry

Corps Regiment No Rank

Manchester Regiment 303511 Private

Corps Regiment No Rank

1/1st North Somerset Yeomanry 835 Private

1/1st North Somerset Yeomanry 835 Private

Somerset Yeomanry 2199 Private

Somerset Light Infantry 34312 Private

Devonshire Regiment 67106 Private

Royal Engineers 367937 Private

Corps Regiment No Rank

Northamptonshire Regiment 34597 Private

Labour Corps 84748 Private

Army Service Corps T/343507 Private

Corps Regiment No Rank

Monmouthshire Regiment 47881 Private

King's Shropshire Light Infantry 29908 Private

It looks like "Shropshire" to me, but how common was it to have "Shropshire" titles rather than "KSLI"? Did the Wiltshires have titles with the full word on it rather than "Wilts"? I dont think it is Monmouthshire -- titles for that regiment are nearly half-circular. The ones in the photo seem to have a much gentler curve to them.

It looks like "Shropshire" to me, but how common was it to have "Shropshire" titles rather than "KSLI"? Did the Wiltshires have titles with the full word on it rather than "Wilts"? I dont think it is Monmouthshire -- titles for that regiment are nearly half-circular. The ones in the photo seem to have a much gentler curve to them.

Shropshire was the pattern at that time (1902 to 1921), but would have had a separate bugle over.