Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

3940 L/CPL J HALL 3rd BATT COLDSTREAM GDS

coldstream guards

Hi Folks, joined a while ago, but have only just got round to asking a question, please bear with me, as i am not a pc wizard by any stretch, and i work away from home so only manage to catch up with e-mails etc at the w/end and Mondays.

I am trying to find out more about the above soldier he won the D.C.M. in 1914. I have the citation for this, but i am trying to find out more about him (ie where he came from? or any more information) am hoping i might be able to find a photo or a newspaper clipping of him as it was an early DCM.

Has anybody got any ideas?

Very Best Rgds Bob

Hello Bob,

I've found his MIC on Ancestry but it only mentions his DCM, his citation is also there. Do you know his first name?

You should may be able to access his service records. The Coldstream Guards house their own records but there will be a charge.

Have a look at their website: http://rhqcoldmgds.co.uk/page/3

Good luck,

Sandie

Hi Folks, joined a while ago, but have only just got round to asking a question, please bear with me, as i am not a pc wizard by any stretch, and i work away from home so only manage to catch up with e-mails etc at the w/end and Mondays.

I am trying to find out more about the above soldier he won the D.C.M. in 1914. I have the citation for this, but i am trying to find out more about him (ie where he came from? or any more information) am hoping i might be able to find a photo or a newspaper clipping of him as it was an early DCM.

Has anybody got any ideas?

Very Best Rgds Bob

Hello Sandie

Many Thanks for coming back to me so quickly. i am afraid i do not know his first name....Thanks for the info on the rhq... i may well have to bite the bullet and pay the charge.

Best Rgds Bob

his number SUGGESTS joined Oct 1900

First name is James, he has 2 Medal Cards on the National Archives http://www.nationala...pe=1=* so should have 2 on Ancestry.

Sam

Hello Sam

Many Thanks for this, I really appreciate it.

Very Best Rgds Bob

his number SUGGESTS joined Oct 1900

Hello Coldstreamer.

Many Thanks....i will try to investigate further, again really appreciate your help

Best Rgds Bob

He does have 2 medal cards!

James Hall Private 3940 Sergeant 3940 Coldstream Guards. Awarded 1914 Star for service from 11.09.1914. Also awarded British War & Victory medals.

A note on his card: Dup. Sub, on *TP/104B/77. 8952 O Auth. X (R.Fus)

He does have 2 medal cards!

James Hall Private 3940 Sergeant 3940 Coldstream Guards. Awarded 1914 Star for service from 11.09.1914. Also awarded British War & Victory medals.

A note on his card: Dup. Sub, on *TP/104B/77. 8952 O Auth. X (R.Fus)

Hello Sandie

Yes i have just downloaded this information, do you have any idea what it means ? does it mean he was transferred to the Royal Fusiliers ?

Again really appreciate your input.

Best Rgds Bob

• 12 years later...

my g dad james hall was coldstreamer ww1,  awarde medal for retrieving a wounded comrade from no mans land,,,thats all i remember,  he came from wickham market in suffolk

• Admin
5 hours ago, Gunnerpjc said:

my g dad james hall was coldstreamer ww1,  awarde medal for retrieving a wounded comrade from no mans land,,,thats all i remember,  he came from wickham market in suffolk

Welcome to the GWF

Are you trying to tell us your grandfather was the James Hall subject of this thread, who was awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal or are you referring to another soldier named James Hall?

Please clarify, thank you