Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Telegrams

mcderms

Can anyone help me by posting a scan of a KIA telegram? I have almost everythung relating to my great uncle bar his telegram. I have a second one from stating where he was buried but that's it.

Given my Somme interest, a 1916 would be great. Apologiea if this seems morbid but given that nearly a million orf these went out, few telegrams seem to have survived.

• 2 months later...

I have a telegram for a great uncle who died in the flu epidemic in Germany in 1919 whilst serving in the ASC. it is hand written if any use I can scan it for you.

Andy Horton

There was a previous thread with some images of telegrams, but they seem to have been removed now. The thread is here:

http://1914-1918.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=11524&hl=

There is a suggestion there that is was only officers' families that received telegrams, and that would explain a dearth of them now. Here is one I have that was on the last thread. The wording is:

'Deeply regret Lieutenant T R B Kilner Sherwood Foresters killed in action June eighteenth The Army Council express their sympathy.'

Sue

I have photocopies of two telegrams sent from Western France to Australian next of kin after my Grandfather (2nd Div. 5th FAB) was wounded in 1917 and 1918.