Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great War Stained Glass Memorials to fallen.

Lancashire Fusilier

Hi LF

In regard to the Hellyer window in St Mary's Church, Brixham this is the only example I have ever come across and I am very surprised that it was allowed.

Peter4447

post-46183-0-40833400-1327669627.jpg

post-46183-0-86543100-1327669669.jpg

There are 2 windows in St Peters Church Woolton Liverpool to two brothers with the surname Johnson one died in the Boer war and the other in the Great War. There is also a Great War window in St Hilda's Church Hunts Cross Liverpool for the Great War whose impact has been all but lost by an extension built behind it.

There are 2 windows in St Peters Church Woolton Liverpool to two brothers with the surname Johnson one died in the Boer war and the other in the Great War. There is also a Great War window in St Hilda's Church Hunts Cross Liverpool for the Great War whose impact has been all but lost by an extension built behind it.

If nearby to you, and not at all inconvenient, any chance of any nice photographs ?

LF,

Londonderry's Guildhall has two fine windows. One to the 36th Ulster Division and one to the 10th & 16th irish divisions.

Dedicated in 1925, it was at this point the rememberance day service was held in the Guildhall square until the war memorial was completed in 1927.

There was a booklet came out to commemorate the event. Of which i have a copy but cannot find. The photos in it are B&W so do not do it justice anyway.

Plenty on the internet 'Londonderry Guildhall war memorial windows'.

Rob

Rob,

Many thanks for the information, and I was able to download a photograph of the wonderful Londonderry Guildhall WW1 Memorial Windows.

LF.

post-63666-0-32443500-1327722417.jpg

The Wilson Window in St.Andrews Church, Chippenham.

Photo and details are on Pal John Belcher's website here:

http://www.pro-patria.co.uk/Text/First/evelyn_seppings_wilson.htm

Dave

I was able to download a photograph of this beautiful Wilson Memorial Window in St. Andrews's Chuch, Chippenham, commemorating their three sons killed in WW1.

Many thanks,

LF.

post-63666-0-31553000-1327722797.jpg

This link will take you to our website where you can see the memorial window to Lieutenant Bernard Ridley Winthrop-Smith at St. Matthew's church in Pentrich, Derbyshire. If you would like a higher resolution image of it feel free to pm me with your e-mail address.

http://derbyshirewarmemorials.wikispaces.com/Bernard+Ridley+Winthrop-Smith

Kind regards

Richard

Richard,

I was able to download a photograph of the wonderful stained glass Memorial Window commemorating Lieutenant B. R. Winthrop-Smith, in St. Matthew's Church, Pentrich, Derbyshire.

Many thanks,

LF.

post-63666-0-03212300-1327723165.jpg

Richard,

Here are the details on Lieutenant Bernard Winthrop-Smith 1st Scots Guards, who died of his wounds received at Ypres on 15th November, 1915, and is commemorated in the Memorial Window in

St. Matthew's Church, Pentrich, Derbyshire

post-63666-0-66907400-1327724069.jpg

I know of two in Essex; Willingale and Halstead, Holy Trinity.

I have been researching the Saulez Memorial window at Willingale for a little while off and on. The Halstead one I discovered a couple of weeks ago.

In addition, there is a generic memorial stained glass at Chelmsford Cathedral.

In Norfolk, North Walsham has a generic memorial window and there is the Beck family window at West Newton, near Sandringham.

Best wishes,

Tim

These all sound like wonderful examples, any chance of nice photographs, or do you know if they are shown on any website where we can download pictures of these windows.

Many thanks,

LF.

The window in Theberton Church, Suffolk to Lt Col Charles Doughty-Wylie VC shows a knight in armour with the deceased's features. (Sorry - no image available).

The window in Theberton Church, Suffolk to Lt Col Charles Doughty-Wylie VC shows a knight in armour with the deceased's features. (Sorry - no image available).

Many thanks for the information, I shall gladly research it.

LF.

post-12434-0-13384000-1327796256.jpg

Bangor on Dee Church (St.Dunawd's, Bangor Monachorum), former Flintshire. Memorial window to Brigr.-Genl. R.H.W.Dunn,late RWF. He raised a battalion for the 38th Welsh Division. Died 8 Jany. 1917 aged 59 and is buried some miles away in Wrexham Cemetery.

The figures show Joshua, St.Michael, and unusually Pabo Post Prydain - "Pabo the Upholder of Britain" - grandson of Coel Hen of Northern Britain (Old King Cole) and a legendary Welsh/British ruler. He is credited with being the ancestor of a number of important Dark Age Welsh saints and to have earned renown in beating off assorted Scots, Picts etc. Note RWF dragon badge in bottom right corner.

I'll try and post some more tomorrow.

Clive

Until relatively recently there was no outdoor War Memorial in my home town (Wincanton) and Remembrance Services focused on the two memorial windows inside the church. Next time I'm at home I'll try to get a photograph or two.

I have just received a copy of Allen Frantzen's Bloody Good: Chivalry, Sacrifice and The Great War in the post and a cursory glance shows a number of references to memorial windows. If you are interested in the topic well worth getting hold of a copy.

Best wishes,

Tim

Clive,

Many thanks for a great photograph. The details in these windows when you look closely is amazing, as is the inclusion of Pabo the Upholder of Britain. Also the RWF dragon badge excellent.

LF

Until relatively recently there was no outdoor War Memorial in my home town (Wincanton) and Remembrance Services focused on the two memorial windows inside the church. Next time I'm at home I'll try to get a photograph or two.

We would love to see those windows, many thanks.

LF

I was able to track down an excellent photograph of the stained glass Memorial Window in Theberton Church commemorating

Lt Col Charles Doughty-Wylie VC., and as you say, it appears to clearly show his features as St. George, slaying the dragon. Amazing.

Many thanks.

LF

post-63666-0-30503700-1327800683.jpg

Stabilis,

It is indeed an excellent likeness of Lt Col Charles Doughty-Wylie VC., shown in the Memorial Window.

Lt Col Charles Doughty-Wylie VC.

July 23, 1868 - April 16. 1915.

post-63666-0-29225700-1327801410.jpg

I have just received a copy of Allen Frantzen's Bloody Good: Chivalry, Sacrifice and The Great War in the post and a cursory glance shows a number of references to memorial windows. If you are interested in the topic well worth getting hold of a copy.

Best wishes,

Tim

Tim,

Many thanks for the information, I shall take a look at that book.

Regards,

LF

post-12434-0-30839500-1327827242.jpg

Not unrelated to the Doughty-Wylie window is this one at Tregaian (St.Caean) Church, Anglesey. It's quite a small window, despite being the main eastern one; but then the church is not that large either!

Major Robert Love Lloyd was in the same regiment (RWF); died in the same theatre (Gallipoli); and it shows another archetypal "Christian Knight" receiving a crown of Glory. The likeness may or may not be that of Lloyd - possibly as a much younger man, if so; but it isn't immediately akin to a picture I have of him.

Brigade-Major 158th Inf. Brigade; kia 9 December 1915 aged 34.

Clive

post-12434-0-26048400-1327828078.jpg

This is the principal east window of Beaumaris (St.Mary & St.Nicholas) Church, Anglesey, dedicated to the memory of Major Richard Gerard Wellesley Williams-Bulkeley MC. Only son of Commodore Sir Richard Henry Williams-Bulkeley KCB VD, 12th Baronet Bulkeley of Penrhyn. Originally a Grenadier Guards officer, he was one of the first to transfer to the new Welsh Guards and was one of the four who mounted its first guard at Buckingham Palace on 1 March 1915.

Served with his regiment in France 1915, being wounded in December and returned first to the Base and then to the UK, where he became Regimental Adjutant. Died London 28 March 1918 aged 31, and buried East Finchley Cemetery.

The window has little military symbolism (not counting the Roman soldiers) excepting right at the top the small armoured figures of St.Michael and St.George.

Clive

I was reminded by chance just now that there is another window at Garboldisham, Norfolk, commemorating Major George Frederick Molineux-Montgomerie, Grenadier Guards, killed 22 October 1915. He was also a bellringer, and is commemorated on the roll of honour of the Central Council for Church Bell Ringers, which is kept in the tower of St Paul's Cathedral. The online version shows photos of the window, and various other memorials in and around the church http://www.cccbr.org.uk/rolls/casualties/details.php?warID=1&casID=252140

Another one this time from the Church of Ireland Cathedral, St Fachtna's, in Rosscarbery West Cork which commemorates Captain Henry Owen Dabridgecourt Becher, 1st Battalion Cameronians, killed in action 13th March 1915. He was the son of Reverend Harry and Mrs Zoe L Becher, of The Deanery, Rosscarbery, West Cork. Also a close up of the inscription at the bottom of the window.

Regards, Tommy.

post-29775-0-76948600-1327841613.jpg

post-29775-0-24556100-1327841729.jpg

Some really excellent photos of memorial windows, especially those from Northern Ireland, it is also pleasing to see a window from Co Cork.

Well done to everyone who has posted photos here. Surely there is an opening for someone to produce a quality book illustrating them on a county

or area basis. I look forward to seeing more postings on this subject.