Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great War Stained Glass Memorials to fallen.

Lancashire Fusilier

post-12434-0-16311100-1327845127.jpg

Also at Beaumaris Church, Anglesey, is this window in memory of Actg. Capt. John Edric Russell Allen, 16th (Queen's) Lancers, and the men from the parish who also died in the war.

The basic image is the presentation of gifts by the Wise Men. I haven't identified the figure at top left, but the one at top right is St.George slaying a dragon and holding scales (?of justice).

Capt. Allen was the son of the proprietor of the Manchester Evening News who lived at Davenham Hall, Northwich, Cheshire but also had a house at Beaumaris (and was a High Sheriff and Deputy Lieutenant for Anglesey). He served in France & Belgium from August 1914, being wounded at Ypres 1915; and died of wounds 8 April 1918 received in the cavalry action at Moreuil Wood on 30 March. Age 27. Buried St.Sever Cemetery, Rouen.

Clive

post-12434-0-02280300-1327846876.jpg

This is part of the west window at St.Mary Magdalene's Church, Penley (former Flintshire; south-east of Wrexham). In memory of a member of the local landed family, Lieut. Robert Townsend Vaughton Dymock of "D" Coy., 1st Battalion KSLI who died of wounds 27 October 1915 aged 20. Buried Hop Store Cemetery, Ypres.

The window forms the left hand side of a pair - this shows St.George killing the dragon.

Rest follows, sorry I can't seem to post them together.

Clive

post-12434-0-06464400-1327846937.jpg

Dymock window at Penley Church - the right hand set of panes. This depicts the St.George figure receiving a crown of Glory.

Clive

post-12434-0-35744300-1327847260.jpg

A nice detail from the right hand set of windows at Penley. The left hand set has a roughly similar inscription.

Clive

Here is a photograph of the Willingale memorial window to Major Saulez. I don't have any photographs of the others, I am afraid. Though I will be able to get one of the Holy Trinity, Halstead window next week.

post-2434-0-10726200-1327856523.jpg

Best wishes,

Tim

This one is at Caernarfon, North Wales. No photo yet.

A memorial window was unveiled at Ebenezer Chapel in memory of Albert Victor Jones MA LL B son of Mrs Jones,. Minafon and the late Mr John Jones. He fell in Belgium on 25th November 1914 aged 27 years. (H C 17/9/1918)

A special service was held at the Welsh Wesleyan Chapel on Sunday morning at which a stained glass window was dedicated to the memory of Pte Albert Victor Jones MA, LCB, youngest son of the late Mr John Jones and of Mrs Jones (Minafon) (N W Chron 20/9/1918)

CWGC: Pte 1519 Albert Victor Jones of No1 Coy, 1st Battalion Honourable Artillery Company died 15/11/1914 aged 27. Son of the late John Jones, J.P. and Jane Margaret Jones, J.P., of Minafon, Carnarvon. A solicitor. Educated at The Leys School and King's College, Cambridge. M.A. and LL.B. (Cantab). Commemorated on Ploegsteert Memorial, Belgium (having no known grave)

SDGW: Enlisted at Armoury House, reside Carnarvon. Killed in Action 25/11/1914

Hywyn

I was reminded by chance just now that there is another window at Garboldisham, Norfolk, commemorating Major George Frederick Molineux-Montgomerie, Grenadier Guards, killed 22 October 1915. He was also a bellringer, and is commemorated on the roll of honour of the Central Council for Church Bell Ringers, which is kept in the tower of St Paul's Cathedral. The online version shows photos of the window, and various other memorials in and around the church http://www.cccbr.org.uk/rolls/casualties/details.php?warID=1&casID=252140

David, Many thanks for telling us about the Major Molineux-Montgomerie Memorial Windows at Garboldisham, Norfolk.

I was able to download them to this thread for the members to enjoy.

I shall also look up the Major.

Thank you.

LF

post-63666-0-09358500-1327873835.jpg

post-63666-0-98481000-1327873885.jpg

post-63666-0-39332100-1327873958.jpg

post-63666-0-13324000-1327874018.jpg

post-63666-0-97360200-1327874078.jpg

post-63666-0-57812700-1327874155.jpg

post-63666-0-34365400-1327874223.jpg

post-63666-0-30649400-1327874280.jpg

The second of the two Memorial windows in St Mary's Church, Brixham.

This one is interesting in that it was given by the Father (who was a Churchwarden) in memory of his son William Edgar Decent.

It simply says along the bottom panels that it is "dedicated in memory of Edgar Decent, 31st Royal Fusiliers, F Coy, Bankers' Battalion who fell in action 26th September 1916.

From what I have researched I believe the 31st RF was a Reserve Battalion that did not leave the UK and that the 26th (Service) Battalion which did serve in F & F was the Bankers' Battalion.

CWGG has him listed as G40022 Pte W E Decent, 12th Bn Middlesex Regiment and his MIC gives the same, so I can only assume he was attached to the 26th Bn RF at the time of his death.

Peter4447

post-46183-0-94182400-1327878281.jpg

Holy Trinity Church, Llandrindod Wells

Myrtle,

Another lovely window design, and it looks like it is to Canadian, Australian and South African troops by the look of the flags they are carrying ?

LF.

LF

I mentioned the National Inventory of War Memorials at post #6. You did not return to this point. The brochure they produced contained many beautiful illustrations of church windows.

I have taken quite a few myself. I must have a rootle.

Myrtle,

Another lovely window design, and it looks like it is to Canadian, Australian and South African troops by the look of the flags they are carrying ?

LF.

It's a very large window design with the following plaque underneath.

post-38-0-05000400-1327881093.jpg

Windows were included with all other types during the recording campaign implemented by the

National Inventory of War Memorials

You can search their database by type of memorial, including windows.

Perhaps an update to the NIWM would be a useful centenary project, especially as digital photography was in its infancy during the NIWM's collecting years.

Kate,

I had not overlooked your post, and in fact I went on line to look at it yesterday. It is a large and very comprehensive website, for which I shall need some time to navigate myself around the site looking for the stained glass window portion. I am sure it will prove to be fine source of photographs.

Again, may thanks.

LF.

It's a very large window design with the following plaque underneath.

Myrtle,

Many thanks, the plaque confirms Canada, Australia and South Africa.

LF.

Some really excellent photos of memorial windows, especially those from Northern Ireland, it is also pleasing to see a window from Co Cork.

Well done to everyone who has posted photos here. Surely there is an opening for someone to produce a quality book illustrating them on a county

or area basis. I look forward to seeing more postings on this subject.

I agree, these are all beautiful works of Art of the highest craftsmanship. I wonder if they are still produced today, or is the cost today too prohibitive.

LF.

Window in St Leonard's, Hythe, Kent (which has one of only two surviving ossuaries in the UK). It was named at the bottom to the Officer whose partial original wooden grave marker is displayed alongside. It is interesting to note that the window has "Greater love hath no man" incorporated, which the grave marker also had:

http://www.stleonardschurchhythekent.org/

http://postimage.org/image/szxan2j1z/full/

RIMG1139.jpg

http://postimage.org/image/h612tbor9/

RIMG1138.jpg

http://postimage.org/image/o6tnzufx1/full/

RIMG1141.jpg

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=311008

Name: HILDYARD, ROBERT AUBREY

Initials: R A

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: King's Own (Royal Lancaster Regiment)

Unit Text: 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 20/12/1916

Additional information: Son of Maj. H. R. and Mrs. Hildyard, of Hythe, Kent.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: III. B. 22.

Cemetery: PERONNE ROAD CEMETERY, MARICOURT

Andrew,

Thank you for posting a very interesting and unusual Memorial Window, of those we have seen so far, most depict the subject(s) as being alive. Whereas in your posted window, the soldier shown, looks to be deceased. This more typical of the German WW1 religious memorial depictions.

I am attaching one as an example.

Looking at a larger sized photograph of your window, the soldiers uniform is shown in great detail.

LF.

post-63666-0-68549300-1327964594.jpg

Andrew,

I was able to download a larger sized photograph of your window, to show the excellent details of the painting.

LF

post-63666-0-65620100-1327965376.jpg

Window in St Leonard's, Hythe, Kent ...

That is a corker, Upton, old chap; I must get down there to visit it. Thank you for sharing.

Best wishes,

Tim

Siddington Church, Cheshire

'Who dies if England live. I have striven to live worthily'.

The stained glass memorial window to the life of Wilfrith Elstob VC DSO MC showing full-length figures of St George and King Alfred.

Commemorative brass plaque below the window.

To the honoured memory of Lieutenant Colonel Wilfrith Elstob VC DSO MC / 16th Manchester Regiment 1st City Battalion / Third son of the Vicar of this Parish / killed in action whilst commanding his battalion in the famous defence of Manchester Hill, France / 21st March 1918 Aged 29 / The Manchester Regiment will defend Manchester Hill to the last / Manchesters! Here we fight and here we die.

post-44815-0-73794300-1327967866.jpg

Siddington Church, Cheshire

'Who dies if England live. I have striven to live worthily'.

The stained glass memorial window to the life of Wilfrith Elstob VC DSO MC showing full-length figures of St George and King Alfred.

Commemorative brass plaque below the window.

To the honoured memory of Lieutenant Colonel Wilfrith Elstob VC DSO MC / 16th Manchester Regiment 1st City Battalion / Third son of the Vicar of this Parish / killed in action whilst commanding his battalion in the famous defence of Manchester Hill, France / 21st March 1918 Aged 29 / The Manchester Regiment will defend Manchester Hill to the last / Manchesters! Here we fight and here we die.

Silkman,

Another great window to a VC holder, Lieutenant Colonel Wilfrith Elstob VC DSO MC.

Also the quotation " Manchesters! Here we fight and here we die " has to be one of the best ever!

I know that lovely part of the country very well, as for several years, I lived near Nantwich in Cheshire, and drove daily into Manchester.

I was able to download a larger photograph to see more detail.

Many thanks,

LF

post-63666-0-91736500-1327969213.jpg

Peter4447,

Many thanks for another excellent Memorial Window, and for the details on the soldier commemorated.

LF

Myrtle,

Many thanks for the lovely window combining both WW1 & WW2, I think it is the first one posted.

LF