Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RWF in Galipoli

jacobscrackers

This is my first post on this site. I am trying to find out more information about my grandfather, John Edward Blundell. He was born in Conwy in about 1884 and was living there when he was in the TA (number 1242) and the regulars (number 265313). His medal card says that he went to TOW 2B, which I understand is Galipoli etc in August 1915. I know that he was stretcher bearing at some point and picked up a lot of medical knowledge, which he used lots in his later life. I also know that his legs were badly injured - the medics wanted to remove his legs, but he insisted that he be returned home first. His legs were saved, although he always had problems with them and was very bandy. I would love to know any more detail about his injury and when exactly it was. Any help would be greatly appreciated. His parents were Samuel and Cathering Blundell, if that helps.

Many thanks, Christine

Hello Christine

Welcome/Croeso yma

I haven't full access to all my data for a few days but I can confirm that John was indeed at Galliploi with the 1st 6th RWF. Maybe one of the others will be along meanwhile with the information as to roughly what date he was wounded and possibly the nature of the wound (if before end Nov 1915 I think)

He made a recovery though as he was renumbered to 265313 and this happened early 1917. What can't be ascertained at the moment is whether he went back to the fighting RWF units or an UK based one or maybe a Garrison Battalion abroad.

Enlistment date of 4th August for numbers around his.

Hywyn

Hi Christine, He also has a silver war badge Number 299642. Hywyn is bang on with the 4th august enlistment date and he was discharged due to sickness on 7th jan 18.Discharge unit being 6th Bn RWF territorial force.A link for SWB is below.john

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=SilverWarBadgeMedals&h=409617&indiv=try&o_vc=Record%3aOtherRecord&rhSource=1262

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=MedalRolls&h=4017257&indiv=try&o_vc=Record%3aOtherRecord&rhSource=2456

I have one of Hywyn's source documents anyway, the list of casualties from 1/6th Battalion RWF which were reported to the Carnarvonshire & Anglesey TF Association up to late October 1915.

Here it states that 1242 Pte. J.E.Blundell resided at 32 Chapel Street, Conway, and suffered a gunshot wound to the left leg on 4 September 1915.

Clive

This is my first post on this site. I am trying to find out more information about my grandfather, John Edward Blundell. He was born in Conwy in about 1884 and was living there when he was in the TA (number 1242) and the regulars (number 265313). His medal card says that he went to TOW 2B, which I understand is Galipoli etc in August 1915. I know that he was stretcher bearing at some point and picked up a lot of medical knowledge, which he used lots in his later life. I also know that his legs were badly injured - the medics wanted to remove his legs, but he insisted that he be returned home first. His legs were saved, although he always had problems with them and was very bandy. I would love to know any more detail about his injury and when exactly it was. Any help would be greatly appreciated. His parents were Samuel and Cathering Blundell, if that helps.

Many thanks, Christine

Hello Christine

I'm also new to the Forum. My Grandfather 2nd Lieut GE Morris was also with the 1/6th RWF at Gallipoli until hospitalised in November '15. I attach a photo of him marching with the 1/6th Batallion & a picture of their goat!

Best wishes

Will

post-87057-0-12517700-1327583353.jpg

post-87057-0-03421900-1327583439.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Re John E Blundell RWF Galipoli. Thank you so much to all of you who replied to me and for the information you gave. Very much appreciated. Christine