Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Badge ID help

charger

Would anybody be able to id this badge I at first thought it was German.

It has the word STERLING on the inside of one wing and vanguard N.Y on the other wing.

The Eagle? and anchor and the leaves are all seperate and held in place by the retaining screws at the back

Regards

Steve

post-23-1091274985.jpg

It looks American to me. Vanguard New York? The background to the shield also contains stripes. I may not be official-I havent seen the British style leaves before could it be a merchant marine officers capbadge for something like the United States Line?

regards

Greg

Greg many thanks for pointing me in the right direction it is as you say American.

It should have been obvious with the eagle and shield it is described as follows

Officers Cap Device for a United States Maritime Service Cap

if anybody is interested more info can be found at

http://www.usmm.net/usmsinsignia.html

regards

Steve

-What you have, Steve, is a badge from the United States.

Vanguard is the name of a military badge/ephemera manufacturer based in New England. I own, and have used, several of their pieces as they are still in business.

The US Navy officer hat badge is similar, but with a thirteen star shield in the center vice the fouled anchor. The officer's shield-type badge has been in use since at least since the turn of the century.

It is possible that this might be for a USN Chief Petty Officer, prior to WWII, as their badges today feature a fouled anchor, but I can't state that for certain for your badge. I cannot find any references to it.

The US Public Health Service had a similiar badge but without the circlet. The Coast Guard had one similiar to the PHS as well.

This might be, as Greg stated, a badge for a civilian merchant marine officer.

Officers Cap Device for a United States Maritime Service

Concur.Ref Naval & Marine Badges & Insignia of WW2 {Blanford Books Guido Rosignoli}

Thanks to all of you.

It is interesting that you replied Harry as it belonged to a C Betts from Rings End who aquired it some time during WW2. Could he be related

Steve

Greg

Have not had time to read it all but anything to do with ships and supply repair etc

This link will take you to there web site

http://www.usmm.net/

It has a section on WW1 & WW2

Hope you find it of some interest

Steve

Thanks to all of you.

It is interesting that you replied Harry as it belonged to a C Betts from Rings End who aquired it some time during WW2. Could he be related

Steve

Possibly??!Harry lived @ Rings End{just over the River from myself in fact about a Mile away!}prior to the outbreak of War{He had been rejected for Military Service before WW1 as he had A Deformed toe!}where he was a Labourer on Local Farms,he enlisted @ the outbreak of War in September 1914,embarking for Le Havre on Valentine's Day 1915.Harry had a Brother ;who until his Death in the 1980s lived in Green St,March & I had the pleasure of speaking with him about his Heroic Brother{one of only Two Cambridgeshire Regiment Men to be Recommended for,but not to be awarded the VC in the Great War}on a few occassions,there were other "Betts" in Ring's End Village,who however had no direct relation to him,but were from Gorefield{Descendants of whom still live in Guyhirn~Across the Nene to Ring's End!}Small world Isn't it? Regards Roger{HBMCDCM}