Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Territorial Force War Medal

Sue S

Hi. I would be interested to know if anyone knows of any instances where a Territorial Force War Medal has been issued along with a trio. All of the information in various books and websites states that the medal is not issued when an individual qualifies for one of the Stars. If anyone has any information I would be most grateful. Sue

Sue,

Attached is a picture of the Territorial Force War Medal, it was approved by King George V in 1919, for issue to all members of the Territorial Force who were serving on August 4, 1914, and to all ex-members who had served for a period of not less than 4 years in the Territorial Force before the war, provided that they undertook to serve overseas before September 30th, 1914, and were passed as medically fit and actually served abroad, and were not entitled to the 1914 Star, or the 1914-1915 Star. Many of the Force served in India, and have received the medal.

Based on the rules governing the award, it could not be worn with either the 1914 Star, or the 1914-15 Star.

Hope this helps.

LF

post-63666-0-79024500-1327435656.jpg

I am sure there were a handful of incorrect issues of a TFWM when a Star had already been granted,unofficially obviously, as officially the two awards were awarded in spite of the other,if you were entitled to one of the Stars {1914~1914~15}then by definition you could not qualify for the TFWM.[just as if you had been awarded the 1914 Star you could not recieve the 1914~15 Star] However I suspect where a man served in more than one unit it could have been missed when the Medals were issued as they were not sent out together.There are a number of recorded instances of double awards of the BWM, {particularly when the MMWM BWM & 1914~15 Star,BWM AVM were awarded to Mercantile & RNR Crews, it shouldnt happen but it did! :whistle:

Harry,

As you say, strictly according to the rules of the award, it should not have happened, however sometimes, the odd case may have arisen where the rules were not fully followed.

Having scoured the registers for the TFWM for several regiments at Kew, I'd be inclined to say that it would be highly unlikely.

Thanks for your input. Staffsyeoman you mentioned registers for the TFWM at Kew. I would be grateful if you could tell me what information is included in the registers? Regards Sue

post-8221-0-34588200-1327593959.jpg

My wife's grandfather, who served 1914-19 with the 15th London qualified for the trio. When he enlisted in the R.C.A.F. in the Second War he applied for the TFWM and EM, but neither was awarded. Nevertheless he wore the TFWM ribbon on his uniform throughout the war. Probably no one knew enough to challenge it.

post-8221-0-34588200-1327593959.jpg

My wife's grandfather, who served 1914-19 with the 15th London qualified for the trio. When he enlisted in the R.C.A.F. in the Second War he applied for the TFWM and EM, but neither was awarded. Nevertheless he wore the TFWM ribbon on his uniform throughout the war. Probably no one knew enough to challenge it.

Grandfather looks very proud, as he should be, of all his awards, even if they are not strictly according to regulations.

LF.

• 3 weeks later...

With reference to the Air Force post the Air Force seem to sometimes be at odds with regulations in regard to wearing of awards, I have a Mercantile Marine BWM & GSM Kurdistan Group, to a former Mariner who joined the RAF post 1918, which I obtain direct from the recipient he had a Photograph of himself wearing the Ribbons of said medals plus the ribbon to the Allied Victory Medal,to which he was not entitled,having served at the very end of the Great War as a Mercantile Mariner, but had had strict orders to "put one up" by his RAF CO or be put on a "fizzer"

• 2 weeks later...

I did hear of one chap how put a MiD oak leaf on QE2 coronation medal & ribbon and it took 12 years for an RSM to pull him up for it but he was with what is the current 22nd Regiment so people probably thought don't as silly questions :whistle: