Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

4th battalion south lancashire regiment

g6yfb

Hi does anyone have a copy of the war diaries for the 4th battalion south lancashire regiment for March 1915.

They were at Kemmel and were attached to the 7th Brigade 3rd British infantry division.

many thanks, any and all help much appreciated as I am trying to piece together the events that led to my great uncles death on the 3rd March 1915.

Graham

26th Feb 1915 9:30 am The Battalion proceeded by march route to LOCRE 6 pm A and B Companies marched to KEMMEL and occupied portions of F.4, 5 & 7 and G.2. and S.2. trenches

27th Casualties in trenches 2 other ranks

28th Casualties in trenches

1 other rank killed 3 other ranks wounded

LOCRE

March 1st Casualties in trenches 1 Other rank wounded

3rd Casualties in trenches 1 Other rank killed, 1 other rank wounded

4th Casualties in trenches 2 Other ranks wounded

11:30 pm A & B Companies rejoined Headquarters at LOCRE

This is transcribed from the typescript version held at the Museum of the Queen's Lancashire Regiment at Fulwood Barracks in Preston. All a bit bare detail I am afraid.

It is possible that the manuscript version held at the National Aerchive might contain some additional material in the way of appendices or that the Brigade War Diary (also National Archive) might contain some map material.

I am afraid that I do not know the location of these trenches.

Ian

Graham

It's always good to post the name,number and regiment.In that way you get more snippets to make up your story.

Sotonmate

Ian,

Many many thanks for this information, I am going to visit Kew later in the year as I am also trying to find information on my maternal grandfather who was invalided out of the trenches following a gas attack, he also served with the South Lancs, service No 201992, but that is about all the information that I have.

once again Thankyou

Graham

Sotonmate,

Thanks for the advice, its difficult to know how much information to include when trying to sollicit help.

Graham

Graham,

As Sotonmate suggested, names and numbers allow Forum members to flex their 'expert' muscles

No time to look up 201992 just at the moment (sounds like a good 4th SLR number off the top of my head) as I am on hospital visiting duty (three hour round trrip but will try if no-one else has by tomorrow.

There are SLR experts about on the Forum

Ian

Ian,

My great uncles details are :- Albert Hughes, service No 2267, Born Warrington, Private 'A' Company 1/4th Btn South Lancashire Regiment, Believed to have been shot in the head (family belief, although I am not sure where this information came from) on 3rd March 1915 at Kemmel.

Any additional information would be greatly appreciated.

Once again many thanks

Graham

Graham

Confirmed killed in action 3 Mar 1915, from Soldiers Died in the Great War (SDGW). Born and enlisted Warrington.1/4 Battalion. The number 201992 would have been issued to a serving soldier of the 4th Battalion in 1917 when they re-numbered. Not sure if such a number would be issued for a soldier who died in 1915 ? I have been unable to find a Medal Index Card for Albert under his first number 2267 (and that which was used for his death record) nor under the "new" number. Anyone else find it ?

Sotonmate

Albert Hughes has an MIC with his 4-digit number only.

There is another MIC for 201992 of the South Lancs in the name of Edward Whitlow whose service papers are on Ancestry.

Ken

Ken,

Many thanks for this information MIC (I take it this means medal index card) I will have a look in the National Archiives.

Thanks again

Graham

Sotonmate

Thanks for the web site SDGW, My Maternal Grandfathe,r Private Edward Whitlow No 201992 served with the south lancashire regiment ( I do not know what Btn he served with or when or where his gas attack took place) he was gassed and went blind for some 3 months, he never went back to the trenches and was invaleded out. He never talked of the war but he did wear a silver war badge that I believe was issued to soldiers who were considered too badly wounded to return to the front. He lived a good fairly longish life but he always had very bad breathing problems he died when I was in my teens at the ripe old age of 78, having worked for the post office until he retired.

I have tried all the living family to get any further information but no one has any recolection of any of Edwards war record.

I do intend to visit Kew the next time I come to England, but any leads or additional information is most appreciated.

Thanks

Graham

Edward Whitlow lived at Railway View, Padgate, Warrington when he enlisted into the 4th Bn. South Lancashire Regt. at Warrington on 22nd November, 1915, under the Derby Scheme. This meant that he was immediately posted to the Army Reserve and sent home to await call-up. The call came on 20th January, 1916.

He was 20yrs old, 5ft 6” tall, with a 36 inch chest. His occupation at that time was ‘postman’.

He was appointed unpaid Lance Corporal on 12th February, 1917. Three days later, on 15th February, 1917 he embarked for France with the 2/4th Bn. Which formed part of the 57th (2nd West Lancashire) Division.

He was appointed paid acting Lance Corporal on 1st April, 1917 but was “deprived of Lance rank” on 23rd June, 1917.

He was evacuated to England on 1st August, 1917 and was treated in the Military Hospital, Eastbourne.

When he was sufficiently recovered, he was posted to ‘A’ Company of the 3rd Bn. of his regiment on 19th February, 1919, and served in Dublin, Ireland for some time. Whilst there he was charged with “overstaying leave from 23.59hrs until reporting at 21.00hrs 24.4.19 (4 days). His punishment for this offence was to be confined to barracks for 7 days and to forfeit 4 day’s pay.

He was finally discharged from the Army on 13th June, 1919. He was adjudged to be 30% disabled due to “Inflammation of the stomach” which was attributed to his war service. He was granted a pension of 8s. 3d per week to be reviewed after 1 year.

On discharge, his military character was described as “good”.

:thumbsup:

Ken,

I can not thankyou enough this is my grandfather, no doubt about it my mother will be so thrilled to hear the story and I will update the family tree for all the future generations.

Many many thanks

Graham Hughes

• 8 years later...

No 3 Super Coy 2/4 South Lancs

Private Joseph Blease

Service number:3076

I have found a Pension Ledger record for my Great Grandfather,Joseph Blease.

DoD: 20th June 1865.

He lived at 37 Wakefield Street, Warrington.

The record says he was accidentally killed guarding a railway on 10th July 1915.

It does not say where.

I have tried all the usual places (Ancestry, Fold3, Find My Past, etc) to find out any more information without any success.

Until today, I did not know that he died in WW1.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

John Blease

Curious one this.

He appears to have been killed at Basingstoke.

At first glance it does look as though he has been overlooked by Commonwealth War Graves, so it could be a case for 'In From the Cold'

BillyH.

Was his wife Annie or Hannah?

Pension Ledger Card says Hannah, but his Soldiers Effects Record says Annie. Definitely died at Basingstoke though.

No sign of him on CWGC.

BillyH.

edit : looks as though he is buried in Warrington Cemetery

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/168809028/joseph-blease

Edited by BillyH

• 3 years later...

Terry Denham has just informed me that Joseph Blease has now been accepted by CWGC (see previous 3 posts). It is a pity that John Blease his grandson (now a 'Guest') may never find out about this.

https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/75470548/joseph-blease/

BillyH.