Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Interesting Memorial Plaque

Terry

I recently found a Memorial Plaque to ISAAC JOHN SNELGROVE, which has an interesting story.

Snelgrove was 1140 Private I.J.Snelgrove, 1st Bn., Royal Newfoundland Regiment. I have sent for his service file, but I do know that he died on 18 Nov.,1918, apparently the last member of his regiment to die in Europe. He is buried at Brookwood Military Cemetary in the UK. I assume he died of illness, accident, or possibly wounds.

Snelgrove was 22 years old, the son of William and Annie Snelgrove of Catalina, Trinity Bay, Nfld.

Attached to the plaque is a ribbon bar with a DFC and Canadian Volunteer Service Medal and clasp. They were together when the seller had obtained them. I took a look at World War Two Canadian DFC's. One name of interest appeared - F/O Howard Baron Snelgrove,DFC, a navigator with 550 Sqn.,RAF. He had been born in Trinity, Nfld. in 1921, so obviously was not Isaac's son, but perhaps was a relative.

Any medals to the Royal Newfoundland Regiment should be considered fairly scarce, so I was especially pleased to find this plaque for sale for $60 Cdn (about 25 pounds).

post-23-1091228427.jpg

This link will take you to a photo of his gravestone in Brookwood Cemetery in Surrey.

Terry

A nice Plaque indeed. The last medals I saw to the Newfoundlanders was at the show up your way three years ago. It was a MM and Trio did you happen to see those.

Best regards

N.S.Regt.

Yes, I remember looking at the group and drooling. Apparently they ended up in a good home back in Newfoundland (I think the museum).

Regarding my latest MM group, I wasn't aware that Nicholson was in the first reinforcement draft. Hopefully when his file reaches me it won't say that he earned a star!

Terry

Not all of them have a 14-15 Star but I have two trios to 40 battalion men serving with the 13th battalion. I know of 25 that Have stars named to the 25th not sure of numbers to other units I do have a pair to the 25th who was 1st draft and not entitled to a star. It is a long shot but you may get his citation from Veterans Affairs for the MM but with my experence with 1918 awards it may not be listed. Hopefully when you get all the information the news will be good let me know the results.

Best regards

N.S.Regt.

I was especially pleased to find this plaque for sale for $60 Cdn (about 25 pounds).

Terry, you stole this plaque!

Great deals must still be out there...