Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great Grandfather's medal card

picklecat

I'd be grateful if someone could shed light on the attached medal card.

I'd like to know - did my great grandfather receive the Victoty medal or not? It looks as if the word 'deleted' appears on the card, along with what look likes Army shorthand.

Thanks for any help!

Based upon the strike over through both the Victory Medal annotation and the British War Medal ditto, along with the dotted cross and legend, one would probably be correct to assume that the entry in the Medal Roll had been deleted.

Perhaps he didn't serve overseas, or went over too late to qualify.

Hope this helps.

George

HI Fred

He was entitled to both the Victory and British War Medals.

The roll RE/101B25 page 5351 and do (ditto) for both refers to the Medal Roll list thay are in. It is only viewable at National Archives.

See - http://www.1914-1918.net/records.html its explained in there.

This explains about the Medal Index Cards - http://www.1914-1918.net/grandad/mic.htm

It looks like his medal were returned -

the retd (992 KR 1923) means - Kings Regulation 1923

992. Medals which, at the end of one year, still remain unclaimed, will be sent to the Secretary, The War Office.

Down the bottom it mentions - SWB List RE/54 - read this about it- http://www.1914-1918.net/grandad/swb.htm

The x with the dots in it refers to the note and the medals, but I have no idea what Deleted min 16 means?? Maybe the medal roll will clarify it?

regards

Robert

Hi Fred

Do you have an Ancestry subscription? His service records are online there along with a colour photo of his MIC.

It would be worth a months subscription to get them, you can also get his SWB record.

Looks like he joined in 1914 and it looks like he never went oveseas, so sorry not entitled to medals, my mistake.

See - http://www.1914-1918...d/themedals.htm

regards

Robert

Hi Robert,

Thanks for shedding some light onto this. The odd thing is that his attestation papers say that he embarked with the BEF in 1914. That's why I'm confused about the status of his medals.

Thanks again,

Fred.

Hi Fred

Do you have an Ancestry subscription? His service records are online there along with a colour photo of his MIC.

It would be worth a months subscription to get them, you can also get his SWB record.

Looks like he joined in 1914 and it looks like he never went oveseas, so sorry not entitled to medals, my mistake.

See - http://www.1914-1918...d/themedals.htm

regards

Robert

post-87106-0-08977400-1327302198.jpg

Hi Robert,

Thanks for shedding some light onto this. The odd thing is that his attestation papers say that he embarked with the BEF in 1914. That's why I'm confused about the status of his medals.

I'm attaching part of his papers with his military carrer. Any light you could shed on it would be welcome.

Thanks again,

Fred.

Thank you, George. Your information has been very helpful.

Based upon the strike over through both the Victory Medal annotation and the British War Medal ditto, along with the dotted cross and legend, one would probably be correct to assume that the entry in the Medal Roll had been deleted.

Perhaps he didn't serve overseas, or went over too late to qualify.

Hope this helps.

George

Hi Fred

Yes it does say to BEF embarked?

aslo a few lines down it mentions under promotion to Corporal, "for Bay duties"?? What does that mean?

Its a pity the left hand side is burnt, what it says may shed more light as it would say which signals co. he was in and surely someone could place where they were.

His conduct sheet does say 25th Signal Co, if anyone knows anything about it?

There is another sheet with say Home service and the down further all the overseas time has been crossed out and the medals.

So it looks like maybe he did not, but still...?

regards

Robert

it mentions under promotion to Corporal, "for Bay duties"?? What does that mean?...

Err - I can only see the attachment, but isn't it "for Pay duties"? - compare the letter in question to the "B" in BEF" and the "P" in Promoted". I'd interpret that as being someone who looked after wages - but then again, I did once work on the railway's payroll systems so I'm liable to see payroll in all sorts of places.

Doesn't help with whether or not he was abroad.

Adrian

I'm inclined to go with Adrian's observations on the form of the letter.

Do we know if he had any banking etc occupation prior to joining the Army?

Alternatively, if it actually is "Bay" could that be an abbreviation for "bayonet" i.e. being something of an Instructor?

Devils Advocate, but wouldn't it have been easier to say he was an Instructor, not "duties"?