Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great War Medals - Cigarette Card set x 90 cards

Lancashire Fusilier

86. Victory Medal ( 1920 ) - Japan.

Instituted in 1920, the obverse of the Medal shows the Japanese war-deity.

The reverse reads " Great War for protection of Civilisation ", 1914-1920. Japan, Italy, France, Britain, America and other Allies and Allied Powers. "

The design represents a cherry blossom with a miniature globe in the centre. In the 5 petals are the flags of the Allied Powers.

post-63666-0-47533300-1328790326.jpg

87. The War Cross ( Cross of Liberty ) - Estonia.

Founded on the 24th February, 1919, the Cross was awarded for Military Merit during the war of liberation; for acts of bravery; and for civil merit during the same period. The Cross consists of 5 classes, and can also be awarded to foreigners.

post-63666-0-19399600-1328790490.jpg

88. The La Solidaridad Medal - Panama.

Was bestowed upon those officers and soldiers of the Allied Armies who had been mentioned at least three times in dispatches, and is issued at the discretion of the Allied Armies. The bronze Medal is of 2 classes; that of the 1st class has a rosette on the riband, and that of the 2nd class does not.

A fairly good number of British officers have received the Medal.

post-63666-0-50368900-1328790759.jpg

89. The Order of the Istigal - Hedjaz.

Was instituted in 1919, for award to those who had rendered important services to the Crown, and the country. It is granted to civilians as well as military persons.

Only two or three were awarded to British subjects.

post-63666-0-20465600-1328790926.jpg

90. The Order of El Nahda - Hedjaz.

Instituted in 1919, and is granted for military services. There are 4 classes.

A good many officers of the British Army and Navy have received the Order.

Field-Marshal Viscount Allenby, was awarded the Order " with brilliants ".

post-63666-0-95314600-1328791080.jpg

Well that's it - 18 days - 90 interesting medals, I hope you have enjoyed seeing them.

Apart from the British awards, it was interesting to note just how many of the other WW1 Allied awards were issue to British subjects, with the possibility of any of these 90 awards turning up in WW1 British officers and men's medal groups.

The illustrations on the cards were excellent, and I have also found photographs of the actual medals, which I shall also post and it will be interesting to compare the card illustrations with the original medals.

LF

post-63666-0-28354600-1328791583.jpg

post-63666-0-54004500-1328791599.jpg

post-63666-0-95993100-1328791662.jpg

post-63666-0-27773400-1328791675.jpg

post-63666-0-77681800-1328791745.jpg

post-63666-0-00862500-1328791759.jpg

Thank you for sharing them, L.F. it's very much appreciated.

Andy

Fantastic Thread - fantastic photos. Thank you so much for sharing them and keep them safe!

Fantastic Thread - fantastic photos. Thank you so much for sharing them and keep them safe!

Anneca,

I am so pleased you enjoyed the thread.

Regards,

LF

Very good LF and a great reference source pinched two links allready for other threads.john

Pleased you liked it, and that you found material for your other thread.

LF

LF - Looking at your cards prompted me to go into my roofspace and retrieve my Father's collection of cigarette cards. He had hundreds of cigarette cards issued by John Players, W.D. & H.O. Wills and Gallaher Ltd. in collections on many topics. On looking through a box of loose cards I found two of the Great War Victoria Cross Heroes issued by Gallaher Ltd. Belfast & London. If I may, I will add these to your thread.

Information on the reverse of the first card: Lt. (Temp. Capt.) Angus Buchanan, V.C. (South Wales Bord.)

For most conspicuous bravery. During an attack an officer was lying out in the open severely wounded. Two men went to his assistance and one of them was hit. Capt. Buchanan immediately went out, and with the help of the other man, carried the wounded officer to cover under heavy machine-gunfire. He returned again and brought in the wounded man again under heavy fire.

Information on the reverse of the second card: Lieut. Arthur H. Batten-Pooll, V.C. (Unfortunately the card is too faded to decipher the printing)

LF - Looking at your cards prompted me to go into my roofspace and retrieve my Father's collection of cigarette cards. He had hundreds of cigarette cards issued by John Players, W.D. & H.O. Wills and Gallaher Ltd. in collections on many topics. On looking through a box of loose cards I found two of the Great War Victoria Cross Heroes issued by Gallaher Ltd. Belfast & London. If I may, I will add these to your thread.

Information on the reverse of the first card: Lt. (Temp. Capt.) Angus Buchanan, V.C. (South Wales Bord.)

For most conspicuous bravery. During an attack an officer was lying out in the open severely wounded. Two men went to his assistance and one of them was hit. Capt. Buchanan immediately went out, and with the help of the other man, carried the wounded officer to cover under heavy machine-gunfire. He returned again and brought in the wounded man again under heavy fire.

Information on the reverse of the second card: Lieut. Arthur H. Batten-Pooll, V.C. (Unfortunately the card is too faded to decipher the printing)

Anneca,

Thank you for posting the cigarette cards, that particular series on VC Holders is very collectible.

There are many websites where you can obtain valuations for your Dad's collection of cards, and you may be pleasantly surprised as to their value, they are well worth preserving.

Regards,

Leo

Hi Leo

Unfortunately those two are the only ones relating to the Great War. I have some full collections of plants animals and dogs, but others, mostly sets of 50, have one or two missing. Some on WW2, a couple of which I think somewhat comical are 'how to equip your refuge room' and a picture of a 'French type gas proof balloon shelter'. I hadn't thought about valuations until you said but because my Dad collected them I wouldn't dream of selling them. I might take your advice though as to their value.

Many thanks, Anne

Hi Leo

Unfortunately those two are the only ones relating to the Great War. I have some full collections of plants animals and dogs, but others, mostly sets of 50, have one or two missing. Some on WW2, a couple of which I think somewhat comical are 'how to equip your refuge room' and a picture of a 'French type gas proof balloon shelter'. I hadn't thought about valuations until you said but because my Dad collected them I wouldn't dream of selling them. I might take your advice though as to their value.

Many thanks, Anne

Anne,

Yes, keep them as they were your Dad's.

There are inexpensive Catalogues you can buy, which typically list all the different cigarette card sets, and their current values. I just purchased a 2012 Catalogue for 7 pounds ( inc. postage ) from The London Cigarette Card Co. Ltd.,

their website is www.londoncigcard.co.uk

As I said, you may be surprised by their current values.

Regards,

Leo

Thank you very much Leo. You have given me food for thought and I now look forward to researching the Catalogues and looking at the website you have given.

Best wishes, Anne

PS I thoroughly enjoyed looking at your interesting topic - thank you for sharing it.

Anne,

Yes, keep them as they were your Dad's.

There are inexpensive Catalogues you can buy, which typically list all the different cigarette card sets, and their current values. I just purchased a 2012 Catalogue for 7 pounds ( inc. postage ) from The London Cigarette Card Co. Ltd.,

their website is www.londoncigcard.co.uk

As I said, you may be surprised by their current values.

Regards,

Leo

Thank you very much Leo. You have given me food for thought and I now look forward to researching the Catalogues and looking at the website you have given.

Best wishes, Anne

PS I thoroughly enjoyed looking at your interesting topic - thank you for sharing it.

Glad you liked the thread.

Leo

Leo - I went to the site you suggested and although I haven't yet asked for a valuation I have been able to date two of the full "Dickens Characters" sets as 1912 and 1914. I had no idea these were so old - reckon I'd better look after them a bit better now. Thanks again for the link, much appreciated.

Anne

Leo - I went to the site you suggested and although I haven't yet asked for a valuation I have been able to date two of the full "Dickens Characters" sets as 1912 and 1914. I had no idea these were so old - reckon I'd better look after them a bit better now. Thanks again for the link, much appreciated.

Anne

Anne,

If you let me know who produced the two Dickens Characters sets from 1912 and 1914, I shall gladly look them up for you in the 2012 Catalogue.

Leo

Hi Leo

It is kind of you to offer to look these up but when I looked at the reverse sides of them again it states ' Characters from Dickens' - A Series of 50. Unfortunately I have only 25 of each. I had originally thought the full sets were 25, not 50 so I now realise they are incomplete. They were issued by Players. Thanks again for your offer.

Best wishes, Anne

Anne,

If you let me know who produced the two Dickens Characters sets from 1912 and 1914, I shall gladly look them up for you in the 2012 Catalogue.

Leo

Hi Leo

It is kind of you to offer to look these up but when I looked at the reverse sides of them again it states ' Characters from Dickens' - A Series of 50. Unfortunately I have only 25 of each. I had originally thought the full sets were 25, not 50 so I now realise they are incomplete. They were issued by Players. Thanks again for your offer.

Best wishes, Anne

Anne,

For the Players sets of " Characters from Dickens ", there were only 25 cards in each of the sets for both 1912 & 1914.

The 1912 ( 1st Series ) set is catalogued at 60 pounds, and the 1914 ( 2nd Series ) set is also 60 pounds.

Regards,

Leo

Well that is strange Leo. I thought when it said a series of 50 I had only half of each. Thank you so much for looking these up and my goodness look at what they're worth.

Much appreciated.

Anne

Anne,

For the Players sets of " Characters from Dickens ", there were only 25 cards in each of the sets for both 1912 & 1914.

The 1912 ( 1st Series ) set is catalogued at 60 pounds, and the 1914 ( 2nd Series ) set is also 60 pounds.

Regards,

Leo