Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

July 30th 1916

Old Chap

Remembering all the Liverpool Pals who fell this day attempting to capture Guillemont village. Those of you who have visited the approach to Guillemont will appreciate the openess and distance of the attack from Trones Wood. A huge thanks to the late Graham Maddocks author of the superb Liverpool Pals book and also to George Wilson for preserving the history of the Pals.

Liverpool did indeed lose many of it's sons that day.

Bill

Read and remembered.

I don't think this man was a 'Pal' as such, but your post brought him to mind. It may have a passing interest for you.

MR. John Wylie, managing clerk to Mr. Robert Boal, solicitor, High Street, Ballymena, has joined the Liverpool Scottish (Territorials) this week and commences training on Saturday at Blackpool. Mr. Wylie is a popular vocalist

and his presence will be missed on many concert platforms.

Ballymena Observer, March 10, 1916

Lance Corporal John Wylie, formerly managing clerk in Mr. Robert Boal’s Office, High Street, is at present home on leave and we understand he has been transferred to a Cadet Corps for officers. He was six months at the front with

the Liverpool Scottish and was wounded slightly in the head.

Ballymena Observer, January 19, 1917

Remembering the men of the 17th Manchesters who died at Guillemont fighting alongside their "Pals" from the other end of the Ship Canal.

Ptes Frank Almond, John Ankers, L/Cpls John Baguley, Walter Beasley, Ptes William Bloor, Thomas Bradley, Sgt Lewis Brownjohn, Ptes Arthur Buckley, Frank Dawson, Harry Fearn, Thomas Finn, Norman Gale, Cpl Walter Gibson, Ptes John Gleave, Walter Goldsborough, Sydney Grundy, Francis Heardman, Harold Hughes, CQMS F Jones, Ptes Fritz Kochy, John Lewis, Sgt H Linfoot, Cpl F Lucas, Ptes William Mason, Daniel Mason, W McEwan, CSM Joseph McMenemy, Pte Thomas McNaboe, 2nd Lt Ralph Miller, Pte Joseph Molloy, L/Cpl E Moores, Pte Thomas Murray, Cpl Bernard Norbury, Ptes John Parkinson, Arthur Philpott, James Power, L/Cpl Frank Robinson, Ptes John Rogan, George Rose, David Sheen, Pte A Sheldon, Sgt W Smith, Ptes M Sugarman, Walter Sykes, Joseph Twynham, Sgt J Upton, Ptes William Welsh, Harry Wilkinson, Patrick Wilson.

And a letter from Lt Alan Holt, "A" Coy, 17th Mancs (my grandad's Coy)

2nd Lt Alan Holt (in a letter to his parents dated 1 August) (orginal at IWM) wrote:-

“At 4am on Sunday morning, we attacked the village of G…….., but unfortunately did not capture it as the Bosche had massed a lot of fresh troops there with the special object of attacking us and winning back some of what he has lost.

I got up to the village in the mist with my men without any casualties but after spending three hours there and losing a lot of men, we were ordered to retire. It was then daylight and the mist had lifted. We had to walk back over 800 yards of open ground and how I got back I don’t know; very few of my men did as we were swept by two machine guns. I got a machine gun bullet through the sole of my foot, another through the holster of my revolver, also a piece of shell which went through the holster and smashed the handle of my revolver on the way. Just as we were leaving the village, I was hit in the back with a small piece of shrapnel, but it is nothing serious and I was able to carry on till the Brigade was relieved on Monday morning. The doctor took the piece out yesterday and I am on duty as usual - more the worse. Some luck, what! We are going back into rest now and it will be some way back as we are going by train.

How I long for a little peace and quiet and to see you all again. Many thanks for your letter, Pa. Please excuse writing as I am doing it on my knee sitting on a box

Love and XXXXXX

from ALAN”

Holt would win an MC at Arras and be taken prisoner. He lived to a ripe old age

attending many reunion dinners.

John

John,

A very intersting and touching letter. Here's what Harry Redhead of the Liverpool Pals said regarding the attack on Guillemont.

'After a time one of our chaps came in badly shell shocked in no mans land and he told us Boundy (Lieut.F.E.Boundy) had been mortally wounded. So we helped him to a shell hole and Boundy didn't want to go. He said stop with me until i die or something like that.So he did, he stopped with Boundy. Another chap joined them, a chap called Green and while they were there a German put his head over the side of the thing (shell hole) and threw a bomb at them.It went off but it didn't injure any of them.After Boundy died Green pushed off.'

Harry Redhead survived the war although his brother, 16744 Pte.J.Redhead,died of wounds 20/7/16. Harry lived until the mid 1990's.

Bill

Result of genealogy brought up a great uncle; Name: HUGHES, ALBERT 29663

Private 20th Bn. The King's (Liverpool Regiment)

Date of Death: 30/07/1916

Son of Mrs. Alice Hughes, of 66, Smeaton St., Kirkdale, Liverpool. FLATIRON COPSE, Mametz I. H. 24.

Died Guillemont, casualties for 30/07/1916 of the 20th Btn were 373.

Does anyone have (1) mention of Albert Hughes and (2) a map of the battle? Thank you,

Liz K

Liz,

You will find a photo of Albert in the Liverpool Express of 7/9/16 (to be found in Liverpool Library or at Colindale). He enlisted 2/6/15.

• 1 year later...
Guest nick downes
Remembering all the Liverpool Pals who fell this day attempting to capture Guillemont village. Those of you who have visited the approach to Guillemont will appreciate the openess and distance of the attack from Trones Wood. A huge thanks to the late Graham Maddocks author of the superb Liverpool Pals book and also to George Wilson for preserving the history of the Pals.

Liverpool did indeed lose many of it's sons that day.

Bill

Bill - I am looking for information about my relatives (great-granduncles) that were lost in the Somme. Their details are:

Private Joseph Emil Johnson #26621, 19th Bn. King's (Liverpool Regiment) Killed Somme July 30th 1916 Aged 20

Private Albert Johnson #30691, 4th Bn. King's (Liverpool Regiment) Killed Somme August 13th 1916 Aged 18

These two brothers were tragically killed within exactly two weeks of each other, judging by the dates and information I can find I think Joseph was probably killed in the attack on Guillemont. I have CWGC memorial details but would appreciate any other information. Thank you in advance.

Nick Downes

John,

A very intersting and touching letter. Here's what Harry Redhead of the Liverpool Pals said regarding the attack on Guillemont.

'After a time one of our chaps came in badly shell shocked in no mans land and he told us Boundy (Lieut.F.E.Boundy) had been mortally wounded. So we helped him to a shell hole and Boundy didn't want to go. He said stop with me until i die or something like that.So he did, he stopped with Boundy. Another chap joined them, a chap called Green and while they were there a German put his head over the side of the thing (shell hole) and threw a bomb at them.It went off but it didn't injure any of them.After Boundy died Green pushed off.'

Harry Redhead survived the war although his brother, 16744 Pte.J.Redhead,died of wounds 20/7/16. Harry lived until the mid 1990's.

Bill

Bill,

Is that passage above in Graham Maddox's book? I know there are a number of references to Redhead in it. I am particularly interested in Lt Frank Everard Boundy as he served with the 9th Kings in late 1915/early 1916 and was awarded the MC with them.

Any additional information would be more than welcome to add to my files.

Regards,

Ken

Nick,

Sorry to say i have no further information for you. The 19th Kings war diary for the attack on Guillemont is very short and doesn't go into detail.

Ken,

I have a tape recording of Graham Maddock's interviewing Harry Redhead in 1984. The passage in the Pals book is the edited version.

Bill

Guest nick downes

Sorry to say i have no further information for you. The 19th Kings war diary for the attack on Guillemont is very short and doesn't go into detail.

Thanks anyway - I do appreciate your help.

I will keep on searching.

N

Ken,

Boundy was only mentioned during the attack on Guillemont. The bit i wrote relating to Boundy is word for word what Harry Redhead said during the interview.

Bill

Nick,

If you want to read up about the Liverpool Pals and the action at Guillemont, Graham Maddocks book is a must. Another book woth purchasing is, Battleground Europe series 'Guillemont' by Michael Stedman.

Good luck with the research.

Bill