Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pattern-1903 Bayonet

TomcatPC

Hello

I have this Pattern-1903 Bayonet that I found last year. I think this was converted from a Pattern-1888 Bayonet. I heard that some of these were converted in India shorty before the War?, do this appear to be this case with mine? I tried to get a decent shot of the markings "left over" from the pre-converted blade and I could not get a decent shot of it. From what I can tell, it is 9?, but the markings are very shallow.

Also, do I have the correct scabbard? I got the bayonet and scabbard at different times.

Thanks

Mark

DSCN2571.jpg

An attempt to get the markings of what I think is the Indian Broad Arrow and bend test marking.

DSCN2573.jpg

And the photo of the dates, that turned out badly. Still getting used to taking photos.

Thanks

Mark

DSCN2576.jpg

Look on the end of the pommel below the slot and see if there is a RFI stamp. Many of the Indian conversions has this marking. The scabbard is a correct land pattern scabbard.

It is an Indian P1903 as it has the inspection marks on the ricasso, and looks to have been converted from an existing P'88 blade (I agree it has a '9X date mark)

I don't believe they made any new P1903's in India so all of those you see now have been converted and reworked at some time, with the blued blade a good sign.

The scabbard is also an Indian pattern so I guess it probably is correct for an Indian P1903, but you couldn't really say the same if it was for a British issue bayonet.

Cheers, S>S