Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cap Badge

meadowcroft

Can anyone identify the cap badge from this grainy photo, please.

My great uncle Alfred Johnston, photo taken at Hounslow, Middlesex, August 1918.

Thank you for all suggestions.

Jayne

post-60578-0-92879500-1327001795.jpg

It is the badge of the Machine Gun Corps (MGC)

Is he this man?

Johnston, Alfred C

Royal Warwickshire Regiment 37581 Private

Machine Gun Corps 177119 Private

Thank you, perhaps it is him. He was Alfred Horace Cecil Johnston born 1899. I include a wider photo which includes his left sleeve. I apologise for the quality of the photo which I received as a shiny scan of the original photo.

Many thanks for your identification. Marvellous.

Jayne

Is he this man?

Johnston, Alfred C

Royal Warwickshire Regiment 37581 Private

Machine Gun Corps 177119 Private

post-60578-0-42086500-1327006871.jpg

Hi Jayne it would appear from his medal index card that this Alfred johnston served in India on the north west frontier.His medal entitlement was the British War Medal and The Indian General Service Medal with clasp for Afghanistan.Could not find service record but link for mic below.He has an address in Sheffield on mic.john

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?rank=1&new=1&MSAV=1&msT=1&gss=angs-c&gsfn=Alfred+c&gsfn_x=1&gsln=johnston&gsln_x=1&gskw=177119&cpxt=1&uidh=ajh&cp=11&pcat=39&h=5391469&recoff=9+10+11&db=MedalRolls&indiv=1

Hello John:

It is wonderful information if it is him. Amazed that he went overseas, I somehow thought he stayed in the UK. No family stories came down about his military years. Stumped as to that Sheffield address though.

I am thrilled and grateful. Thank you for the link.

Jayne

Hi Jayne it would appear from his medal index card that this Alfred johnston served in India on the north west frontier.His medal entitlement was the British War Medal and The Indian General Service Medal with clasp for Afghanistan.Could not find service record but link for mic below.He has an address in Sheffield on mic.john

http://search.ancest...alRolls&indiv=1

Hi meadowcroft,

in Whites's 1911 and 1919 Trade Directories for Sheffield, 2 Court, Princess street is occupied by Alfred Johnston, Coal Dealer, he also appears in the 1925 Kelly's Trade Directory. Probably young Alfred's father ?

Dean.

If it is him he certainly did travel, the MGC served on the North West Frontier and he will be listed on the medal rolls which will give his unit and possibly when he was discharged.

The use of collar badges strongly suggests post-war; and I would wager that that is the MG in a wreath above his stripes - making him an instructor. He also seems to have a Musketry skill-at-arms qualification on his lower left sleeve.

Hi meadowcroft,

in Whites's 1911 and 1919 Trade Directories for Sheffield, 2 Court, Princess street is occupied by Alfred Johnston, Coal Dealer, he also appears in the 1925 Kelly's Trade Directory. Probably young Alfred's father ?

Dean.

Hello Dean:

Thank you for this useful information.

It took me to the 1911 Census for Sheffield and I realized that A.C. Johnston is not my man afterall. The Census indicates that A.C. Johnston was born in 1881 in Sheffield while my gr uncle was born in Islington in 1899. Also, my uncle's father was Harry Johnston.

I will rule out the MGC for the Royal Warwickshire regiment.

Jayne

The use of collar badges strongly suggests post-war; and I would wager that that is the MG in a wreath above his stripes - making him an instructor. He also seems to have a Musketry skill-at-arms qualification on his lower left sleeve.

Hello Staffsyeoman:

All exciting new details to learn about him. Many thanks for these observations.

Jayne

Hello Staffsyeoman:

All exciting new details to learn about him. Many thanks for these observations.

Jayne

Jayne, it is true that most units started to wear collar badges after WW1, but you should note that the MGC were one of the units that in some (but not all) cases wore them in WW1, so it is not quite so clear cut. This was perhaps because there were so many other regiments involved in their make up. For example both cavalry and guards units that initially were absorbed by the MGC often wore their own cap badges but MGC collars. This seems to have led to some (but not all) other units that did wear the MGC cap badge also adopting the collar badge, even though officially the practice was forbidden. I agree with Staffsyeoman that he appears to have an instructional qualification in the form of a proficiency badge above his chevrons.

post-599-0-39559900-1327072437.jpg

Thank you Frogsmile for yet more information.

I'm glad to have learned so much about him and his military involvement in 1918.

Jayne