Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hindenburg Cross question

Landsturm

I just purchased couple of German WW1-era photographs and with them I got a German Cross of Honour (Hindenburg Cross). These were awarded to WW1 veterans during the German Third Reich, starting from 1934.

After first looking at it, I first took it as a repro, as it had the incorrect ribbon (the Iron Cross one, with only black and white stripes). Now that I looked at it more carefully I start to think it's not a repro. It has little "F & B. L." (the manufacturer) marked on the reverse side.

I got curious, where's the manufacturer's mark abbreviated from? And is the decoration more valuable?

post-1862-0-81920800-1326998008.jpg

post-1862-0-32269700-1326998022.jpg

Mate, it's not a repro, irrespective of whatever ribbon was on it. There will be more informed people on the Forum who can advise about the manufacturer, but the fact that there is a EK2 ribbon on there is, for me, a good indication that the original recipient may have also had the Iron Cross Second Class.

Hi Landsturm

That medal looks 100% to me. They're not widely faked as they sell for around ten quid anyway so it's not worthwhile.

I can't help with the maker's mark though.

Dave

They were made by a large number of different manufacturers, and, if I remember correctly, a list of their identifying marks was posted on a previous thread. I have one with maker's initials THW, which was not on that list.

F.B.L. stands for the firm:- Funk & Brüninghaus, Lüdenscheid.

Connaught Stranger. :D

Attached is a photograph of a mounted Honour Cross of the World War 1914 - 1918, commonly known as the Hindenburg Cross, showing the correct Black/White/Black/Red/Black/White/Black stripes of the ribbon.

There may be some concerns regarding the medal posted by Landsturm, which may be a reproduction.

This medal was instituted in 1937, with some 6,202,883 being awarded, at that time, all awards, insignia, uniforms, etc., were closely controlled as to their quality, production and specification. Towards the end of WW2 this was not the case and quality seriously deteriorated.

This medal was produced in bronze, and has very clearly defined crisp details.

If you look at the medal posted by Landstrum, the details are not crisp and clean, but rather show irregularities to the sword hand grip, cross guard, and the cross corners, which looks to come from a poor moulding or casting used for reproductions, and overall the medal lacks clearly defined crisp details seen in the original bronze construction. It also may not be of the proper bronze construction, it looks like lead rather than bronze ?

This medal was also produced without the swords for Non-combatants, with 1,120,449 awarded.

A Black version without swords was also awarded to Widows and Parents, with 345,112 going to Widows, and 373,950 going to Parents.

post-63666-0-70635400-1327073272.jpg

Its also possible that the medal shown by Landsturm is a late war version produced

in so called "Kriegsmetal" when there was a severe shortage of good quality metal, its possibly also lost its original painted bronze finish.

Unnamed /blank reared versions of these honour medals exist, produced after the 2WW war

for German WW1 veterans, production finally coming to a halt in the 1990's I believe.

Connaught Stranger.

I doubt that there was much demand for this award towards the end of WW2, as most of the awards were given out in the late 1930's.

Poor castings or mouldings, lack of detail, incorrect metals are a very strong indication of a reproduction - buyer beware !

I take LF's point, as Landsturm's example is certainly cruder and less crisp than my own one, but I also find it hard to credit that anyone would bother to fake so common a medal. I paid about 8DM for mine in a 'collectables' shop in Göttingen in 1968 and am delighted to learn that it has appreciated to the heady heights of £10 in the intervening 44 years ...

Every medal has been faked at sometime, if someone can fake a medal for a few pence and then sell it for 10 pounds, they will do it.

What is more important here, is making the point that before anyone parts with their money be it 10 pounds or 1000 pounds or more, they should take the time to research the item, and then examine it closely for those tell tale reproduction signs, which are often very obvious.

LF what is the oval medal with the Eagle "at rest" with your Cross,not seen one of those before??

TYIA :thumbsup:

Harry,

Many thanks for the question.

This was a civilian award given to those providing material assistance to German Prisoners of War.

I have attached a photograph of the reverse of the medal which reads " Hilfe fur Kriegsgefangene Deutsche 1915 ". and could possibly be made of silver ?

On a side note, I see you use the initials MC DCM, are they your awards ?

You may also be interested in a thread I am currently running on Cigarette Cards detailing Great War awards, lots of lovely illustrations and information.

LF.

post-63666-0-32309300-1327502362.jpg