Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dress Standing Orders

sjhallsworth

Good Evening All,

I wonder if somebody could help me, I have recently bought myself a copy of Officers Dress Regulations for the Army 1911 and a very interesting read it is, how things have changed! However I was rather hoping someone could direct me towards Regimental Standing Orders for Officers Dress from around the similar time, preferably from a Highland Regiment, due to the vast number of uniform variations they seemed to (and still do) have. Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Yours Aye

Simon

I'm afraid Dress Regulations and Standing Orders are two different things. As you will have note from DR's 1911, you are looking at the dress of Officers as a whole throughout the Army, whereas Standing Orders deal with the running of a Battalion, with little regarding dress other than for duties, i.e. officer of the day etc.

Standing Orders are themselves a rarity although some do come on the market, but it depends what regiment you're looking for. I have at least three copies of SO's for the Northumberland Fusiliers covering different time periods, however the one I would like covering India, is curently retailing for about £250

Good Evening All,

I wonder if somebody could help me, I have recently bought myself a copy of Officers Dress Regulations for the Army 1911 and a very interesting read it is, how things have changed! However I was rather hoping someone could direct me towards Regimental Standing Orders for Officers Dress from around the similar time, preferably from a Highland Regiment, due to the vast number of uniform variations they seemed to (and still do) have. Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Yours Aye

Simon

Best bet is

Highland Light Infantry ..... uniforms 1881 to 1914

by McKay and Anderson

It is a superb and unique in depth study.

at

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/SearchResults?an=McKay&bt.x=46&bt.y=9&sortby=3&tn=Highland+light+infantry

Graham and Grumpy

Thank you both for the prompt replies, Graham perhaps I wasn't clear, well aware of the difference between Dress Regulations and Standing Orders, in my experience of reading modern versions of both, Dress Regulations tell you what to wear and Standing Orders for Dress tell you when to wear each uniform, as you pointed out for Officer of the Day etc. A pity they are such a rarity I think they would help to complete the circle of what uniforms Officers of this era wore and when, I will however keep my eyes peeled. Grumpy thank you for pointing that book out, I will be placing an order for it very soon.

Graham and Grumpy

Thank you both for the prompt replies, Graham perhaps I wasn't clear, well aware of the difference between Dress Regulations and Standing Orders, in my experience of reading modern versions of both, Dress Regulations tell you what to wear and Standing Orders for Dress tell you when to wear each uniform, as you pointed out for Officer of the Day etc. A pity they are such a rarity I think they would help to complete the circle of what uniforms Officers of this era wore and when, I will however keep my eyes peeled. Grumpy thank you for pointing that book out, I will be placing an order for it very soon.

No problem - as every little helps. Only copies of SO's for Jock regiments currently on the market are all post-WWI and all retail for over £30.00. They are;-

Standing Orders - 1st Bn, K.O.S.B. - 1936

Standing Orders - 2nd Bn, Gordons - 1926

Standing Orders - 8th Bn, Argylls - 1925

Standing Orders - Black Watch - 1926

Standing Orders - Scots Guards - 1964

Grumpy if you read this, there's also;-

Standing Orders - R.W.F. - 1935 @ £29.00

No problem - as every little helps. Only copies of SO's for Jock regiments currently on the market are all post-WWI and all retail for over £30.00. They are;-

Standing Orders - 1st Bn, K.O.S.B. - 1936

Standing Orders - 2nd Bn, Gordons - 1926

Standing Orders - 8th Bn, Argylls - 1925

Standing Orders - Black Watch - 1926

Standing Orders - Scots Guards - 1964

Grumpy if you read this, there's also;-

Standing Orders - R.W.F. - 1935 @ £29.00

Graham, thank you: of course I have it.

Also Seaforths 1912 BUT whereas it gives detailed tailoring instructions for officers' dress, there are no orders re. what to wear when.

Simon,

Try to find a copy of the QOCH Standing Orders of 1909--still in effect in the Great War at least to 1914.

Of my copies of Highland Regiment Standing Orders--Seaforth 1912, Black Watch 1905 and London Scottish 1912 only the QOCH has what I think you are looking for all the others have more or less lists of items and tailoring instructions. QOCH has levee, Full Ball and Official Dinner, Review Order etc.

I do not have copy capability right now, but will try to work something out.

Joe Sweeney

Simon,

Try to find a copy of the QOCH Standing Orders of 1909--still in effect in the Great War at least to 1914.

Of my copies of Highland Regiment Standing Orders--Seaforth 1912, Black Watch 1905 and London Scottish 1912 only the QOCH has what I think you are looking for all the others have more or less lists of items and tailoring instructions. QOCH has levee, Full Ball and Official Dinner, Review Order etc.

I do not have copy capability right now, but will try to work something out.

Joe Sweeney

Joe,

Thanks very much, it would seem that the document you mention is exactly what I am looking for! Having conducted a small search of the internet it would also seem its a very difficult document to get hold of, the search continues.

Simon