Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Boy soldier with partly obscured cap badge

RJones

Can anyone hazard a guess at this cap badge? A long shot I know - unfortunately it's partly obscured and the original photograph is quite blurry, but I'm curious to know more, as this boy seems to be extremely young to be in uniform. There's nothing written on the back (It's a Gale's Studios photo) except 'unknown boy soldier'. :unsure:

Boysoldiercap.jpg

Boy soldier

Thank you, Ken. I would need to see a sharper image to confirm this, but it looks very like Church Lads Brigade. Most Cadets would not have worn a belt of this style but the CLB did. If the belt has a maltese cross then that would be the confirmation. If it is indeed Church Lads Brigade the cap badge was the CLB KRRC Cadets badge which would date the picture 1917 to 1930. See attachment. Johnny Conn

post-7658-0-23794400-1327185890.jpg

You're all wonderful! ^_^ Thanks so much! I wouldn't have a clue. I wish I could get a sharper image but it's the original photograph itself that is blurry and I couldn't clean it up any further. I'll have another go.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Could be the 16th C.L.B.(Church Lads Brigade) Bn K.R.R.C.? This could explain his age?

Possibly a CLB cadet, but definitely NOT 16th (Church Lads Brigade) Battalion, KRRC.

16/KRRC was a service battalion of the KRRC set up by the CLB for current/former CLB cadets for active service. The majority (though by no means all) of the original establishment had connections with the CLB, but like many other pals or affiliation-based units, this was diluted as losses mounted during the war and replacement drafts from the standard channels arrived.

This chap is way too young to be serving in 16/KRRC!

There's extensive information on 16/KRRC, the CLB Cadets and the CLB from myself and conijoni dotted about the Forum if you do a bit of searching.

Cheers,

Mark